Salary negotiation for fresh grads - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Salary negotiation for fresh grads

View Poll Results: Should fresh grads attempt to negotiate their starting salary?
Yes 21 70.00%
Hell naw 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. This poll is closed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
synchron is on a distinguished road
Smile Salary negotiation for fresh grads

Hi,

I was wondering if it is advisable for fresh grads to attempt to negotiate their starting salary? I heard it depends on the industry and role, for example, in tech companies and banks. I heard govt roles have pretty much fixed pay.

Did some reading, and the general consensus in Singapore is that you usually can't, but "never try never know". Rarely do employers retract the offer.

Particularly, I'm more interested in hearing about success stories (and how you did it!) in banks and tech companies, since I think that companies will never offer you their maximum right off the bat, so I'm just really curious if it is a common practice to attempt negotiation.

Background: I'm a software engineer.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i'm not a techie but I've been working in banks ever since graduating 5+ years ago.

Perhaps not the story you want to hear - I've never negotiated for any pay packages but for different reasons, at different stages of my working life.

At the beginning, I was one of those that kept preaching about "experience over money".. and partly because I have low expectations to begin with + I was really a timid person. I just took whatever that was given to me for as long the scope is one that interests me.
Later, my moves were mainly through headhunters who handled the negotiation for me / direct recommendations from someone up there, so its fairly straightforward - $X or I walk.

Looking back, i felt i could've done better when i was just out hunting for jobs. Honestly,for as long you approach the topic in a professional manner, I don't any sane employers will retract the offer just because you try to negotiate...though I can't speak the same for SME...

That said, before attempting to negotiate, please do your own due diligence on the market rates. And that includes corroborating the figures on the market reports.. those figures tend to be overstated in most cases...

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As a fresh grad there is no room for negotiation. When I graduated in 2012, a career coach mentioned to me that a fresh grad should not negotiate as we have very little or nothing to offer. We should ask to be paid reasonably as a fresh grad. This will protrait the right attitude to the employer.

From my personal experience, I have never negotiated as well. Mainly because I am happy with the increment I got. I had a 45% increase when I changed job in 2012.

I was in the banking sector for 3.5 years and left for a top MNC outside banking.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
synchron is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I should mention the reason for asking this in the first place.
I've received a couple of offers so far, and there are 2 that are particularly interesting to me.
Company A) Graduate program, overall the company I prefer (Over B)
Company B) Direct hire, pays more than 10-15% higher than Company A.

Its a pretty tough choice to make honestly. If A raises/matches B, I'll definitely accept A. But I have student loans to pay off, so salary is pretty important right now, and B's offer is much more enticing in that aspect.

The difference is mainly better company (in my opinion) and better program, vs better salary.

Last edited by synchron; 05-03-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchron View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I should mention the reason for asking this in the first place.
I've received a couple of offers so far, and there are 2 that are particularly interesting to me.
Company A) Graduate program, overall the company I prefer (Over B)
Company B) Direct hire, pays more than 10-15% higher than Company A.

Its a pretty tough choice to make honestly. If A raises/matches B, I'll definitely accept A. But I have student loans to pay off, so salary is pretty important right now, and B's offer is much more enticing in that aspect.

The difference is mainly better company (in my opinion) and better program, vs better salary.
Speaking from experience, your first job's pay rarely matters. Go for the better program, and keep improving yourself. I went for my first job even though it paid 25% lesser, but always kept learning and pushing myself to do better. 3 years later I moved on to a job that paid more than my superior's boss.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2018, 11:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Speaking from experience, your first job's pay rarely matters. Go for the better program, and keep improving yourself. I went for my first job even though it paid 25% lesser, but always kept learning and pushing myself to do better. 3 years later I moved on to a job that paid more than my superior's boss.
Would you recommend going for a graduate program?
I've been hearing mixed reviews about it, some say its a great start ("fast track") to your career, others say it's a waste of time.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would you recommend going for a graduate program?
I've been hearing mixed reviews about it, some say its a great start ("fast track") to your career, others say it's a waste of time.
Which industry u referring to? Bank/FMCG/Internet is real deal.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default not the same person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would you recommend going for a graduate program?
I've been hearing mixed reviews about it, some say its a great start ("fast track") to your career, others say it's a waste of time.
mid career go for this program is a waste of time, because of social stigma, the dept heads wonder what to do with you, who wants to take you and let u blossom.....

fresh grad go in, must perform.. or else also can get stuck wondering what you signed up for.

graduate program is not the same as "scholar" in the public service. Many people mistaken. graduate program is for you to fight for the right to enter the fish tank. once you entered the tank, great, now each department head will admire all the "fish" and choose whom they think, will develop "a beautiful colour" and may win "first prize" for them. Those people who slacken the moment they entered and think of cruising, those naturally don't get stretched and left to resign if they prefer.

of coz, some organisations do have useless graduate program after they envy the banks for finding a talent this way... haphazardly put together a program.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 25-05-2020, 10:12 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 12
sharon.yeo is on a distinguished road
Default

Nothing wrong with a fresh graduate negotiating salary, although current job market may be quite challenging to do that.

However, with every salary negotiation, the key is to put together a compelling case to the employer of why you deserve the salary you are negotiating for. If an employer is deciding between you and another candidate - why should you be paid $x more?

This is definitely more challenging for fresh graduates with minimal or no experience. Think about whether you can justify the incremental salary with relevant internships you may have done, skills you have developed that's directly applicable in the role, a compelling portfolio, or what you can tangibly contribute.

One tip is that you can look at the company's goals and business problem, and put together a proposal or action plan on what you will implement if you are hired.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 25-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon.yeo View Post
Nothing wrong with a fresh graduate negotiating salary, although current job market may be quite challenging to do that.

However, with every salary negotiation, the key is to put together a compelling case to the employer of why you deserve the salary you are negotiating for. If an employer is deciding between you and another candidate - why should you be paid $x more?

This is definitely more challenging for fresh graduates with minimal or no experience. Think about whether you can justify the incremental salary with relevant internships you may have done, skills you have developed that's directly applicable in the role, a compelling portfolio, or what you can tangibly contribute.

One tip is that you can look at the company's goals and business problem, and put together a proposal or action plan on what you will implement if you are hired.
At this current situation, it is tough for companies to give you a higher salary. Companies are on preservation mode now. Dont give a textbook answer on how to negotiate for a higher salary.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary Negotiation villan Income and Jobs 6 30-09-2014 04:15 PM
Postdoc pay for fresh PhD grads krys Income and Jobs 4 23-02-2013 09:30 PM
Salary Negotiation girlgirl88 Income and Jobs 22 14-08-2012 09:12 AM
Salary negotiation poggedo Income and Jobs 11 05-11-2010 12:01 PM
SMU Fresh Grads Make $4k to $10k Salary.sg Income and Jobs 140 04-06-2010 06:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
483 Replies, 146,398 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,739 Replies, 487,664 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,643 Replies, 5,378,035 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
956 Replies, 318,637 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,379 Replies, 7,902,100 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,359 Replies, 2,822,294 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
344 Replies, 65,995 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,507 Replies, 2,769,422 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,215 Replies, 1,981,232 Views
infosys, cognizant ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 3,300 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,200 Replies, 1,381,400 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
640 Replies, 502,785 Views
Suitable job recommendations
2 Replies, 155 Views
Cpf senior manager
9 Replies, 2,786 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,487 Replies, 695,667 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
483 Replies, 94,407 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
531 Replies, 192,517 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
127 Replies, 86,201 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,293 Replies, 360,660 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
215 Replies, 166,016 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,298 Replies, 1,697,967 Views
Heineken APAC Graduate Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
283 Replies, 147,071 Views
Htx ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
61 Replies, 8,524 Views
Fresh grad 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 22,539 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 7,030 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
392 Replies, 134,088 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
879 Replies, 271,201 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,145 Replies, 639,304 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
784 Replies, 375,168 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2