Salary Negotiation - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Salary Negotiation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
girlgirl88 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Salary Negotiation

Hi all, I'm new here... my first post..

I recently receive a call from the manager that I am shortlisted for the position after going through 2 rounds of interview.

He was saying that he wants me to join in earlier on part time basis as the contract will take 2 weeks to be finalised.

May I ask how do I negotiate the salary? I realised that my expected salary is low after consulting some of my friends in this similar field...

I am a diploma grad and have more than 3 years of experience in the same field...

Should I call him now or wait till the contract is finalised? Will it be too late?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2012, 02:17 PM
WiredJustice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

How much are they offering you? 3 years relevant experience for diploma should be about 1.8k – 2k

My advice is not to accept such arrangements. Say you have something on for the next 2 weeks and you’ll be glad to join them once the contracts are done up. Your level is very junior and the contract is just a standard template they need to change the salary field. It takes at most 5 minutes to do up the contract.

2 weeks to consider other candidates & offer I understand, but offered already and need 2 weeks to finalize contract is plain lame. They are using the common trick of bluffing you down to work for 2 weeks and “assess” your capabilities. If they don’t like you after 2 weeks they’ll come back with some excuses to not offer you the contract and you would have wasted precious time.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredJustice View Post
How much are they offering you? 3 years relevant experience for diploma should be about 1.8k – 2k

My advice is not to accept such arrangements. Say you have something on for the next 2 weeks and you’ll be glad to join them once the contracts are done up. Your level is very junior and the contract is just a standard template they need to change the salary field. It takes at most 5 minutes to do up the contract.

2 weeks to consider other candidates & offer I understand, but offered already and need 2 weeks to finalize contract is plain lame. They are using the common trick of bluffing you down to work for 2 weeks and “assess” your capabilities. If they don’t like you after 2 weeks they’ll come back with some excuses to not offer you the contract and you would have wasted precious time.
crazy la 3years relevant experience for dip is 1.8 -> 2k ?!?! i graduated from with diploma in electronics and i get 2k with no experience. now 2.1 after confirm

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
crazy la 3years relevant experience for dip is 1.8 -> 2k ?!?! i graduated from with diploma in electronics and i get 2k with no experience. now 2.1 after confirm
Fresh diploma grad 2k? In your dreams la
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredJustice View Post
They are using the common trick of bluffing you down to work for 2 weeks and “assess” your capabilities. If they don’t like you after 2 weeks they’ll come back with some excuses to not offer you the contract and you would have wasted precious time.
Very true, I kana this before when in my first job.

Company told me they going to offer me perm position as a BD executive, but claim GM on leave & not around to sign off contract. The hirer than tell me to join them on weekly contract basis until he is back to sign off.

I notice that there was another 2 new BD hires same time as me. 2 weeks later, they claim got restructuring and company not doing well, so reduce headcount to 2 BD and one of the guys told to leave. Till this day I think they never intend to hire all 3 of us, just wanted to test and retain the ones they like.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
girlgirl88 is on a distinguished road
Default

I see..

I have contacted the manager and told herabout the salary. She say she will have to discuss with the head first before making decision and most likely will get as close as the salary i expected.

She seems very keen to hire me and keep emphasising on their package. hmm..

I will still proceed with the part time basis work. I wan to try it out too.. anyway I will still be paid..better than nothing.. if they dun hire me... or salary too low.. i will have to send out resume again.. ><
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

around 3k should be reasonable for 3 years exp. i have 2 fresh grad friends getting 2 -2.4k as a start (banking should be more)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 28-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
around 3k should be reasonable for 3 years exp. i have 2 fresh grad friends getting 2 -2.4k as a start (banking should be more)
the ts is asking regarding diploma pay, not uni graduate.
after seeing the figures here i feel a bit sympathetic for poly grads la. I was an intern for a local mid-sized SME (non-banking, semi-financial industry. not insurance also la) and they paid me 1.1k as an intern (from the local uni), which is pretty generous for an intern.

On the other hand i notice they also employ a lot of malaysians on EP in their co. i had a peek and saw that one of them was paid $2.6k (which was the minimum then, the guy had about 3-4years experience in another company). Kinda makes me wonder whether are they really interested in attracting local grads to their company (the intern pay is very attractive) or just leeching and exploiting off the malaysians on EP..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 28-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In this world, people make money by exploiting other people's time, talents and needs...
Just like to draw reference to the latest scandal of a 16 year old girl being exploited by a pimp to become a underage prostitute to meet the sexual needs of the rich and elite paying "customers".. who were also exploited by the pimp of their cold hard cash.....

The real winner is the pimp who gets a cut of the happy transaction at both ends..

Frankly in todays's working world, the scenario is very much the same..
A buyer(the Employer) willing to pay you(the Employee) an X amount of money for your time and talent every month...
As an employer, you'll definitely wish to pay as little as possible to hire people with the best talent and with the most time to offer to you... If the FTs are willing to settle for less than a local S'porean graduate.. then it's just tough luck for the local grad... At the end of the day, it's about a happy transaction between a willing buyer and a willing seller... Just make sure you are not the one being exploited.. If not.. be the one to be "less" exploited...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the ts is asking regarding diploma pay, not uni graduate.
after seeing the figures here i feel a bit sympathetic for poly grads la. I was an intern for a local mid-sized SME (non-banking, semi-financial industry. not insurance also la) and they paid me 1.1k as an intern (from the local uni), which is pretty generous for an intern.

On the other hand i notice they also employ a lot of malaysians on EP in their co. i had a peek and saw that one of them was paid $2.6k (which was the minimum then, the guy had about 3-4years experience in another company). Kinda makes me wonder whether are they really interested in attracting local grads to their company (the intern pay is very attractive) or just leeching and exploiting off the malaysians on EP..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary negotiation poggedo Income and Jobs 11 05-11-2010 12:01 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,199 Replies, 1,131,408 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,329 Replies, 5,309,490 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,503 Replies, 2,493,386 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
170 Replies, 165,776 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,494 Replies, 1,946,935 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,242 Replies, 3,897,398 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,291 Replies, 10,666,081 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,325 Replies, 674,971 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,904 Replies, 1,504,397 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,467 Replies, 7,017,220 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,857 Replies, 2,483,302 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,482 Replies, 12,772,203 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,434 Replies, 4,910,736 Views
INL Agency? Brand Communication...
2 Replies, 171 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,268 Replies, 730,531 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
898 Replies, 426,370 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,605 Replies, 1,443,197 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,487 Replies, 3,553,911 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
343 Replies, 392,398 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
734 Replies, 572,998 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,885 Replies, 1,552,287 Views
CIMB Apprentice 2024 ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 588 Views
SEA (Garena) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 97,181 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
835 Replies, 445,885 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
777 Replies, 454,494 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
430 Replies, 517,212 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 55,670 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,860 Replies, 1,261,304 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,868 Replies, 1,623,488 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,992 Replies, 4,825,830 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2