Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Salary negotiation

Old 11-10-2010, 06:41 PM

poggedo is on a distinguished road
Default Salary negotiation

hi all i need some help here

im a fresh grad from nus and got a job offer recently. they offered me 2k and this is a job tt is not related to my studies. it's with a non profit organisation

anw, i accepted the job offer verbally and im due to start work next mon. supposed to be today but i requested to postpone by one wk cos of personal issues. anw, what im thinking is do i still have the right to negotiate for a higher salary, or the moment has passed since i accepted the offer. i didnt actually sign anything yet. from what i understand, the hr personnel will go through the appt letter with me when i report for work next wk. so far i only know the working hrs, and tt there's 18 days annual leave, medical, dental and insurance (not sure of amt) after 3mths probation. the rest, like maybe bonus, increments etc im not sure cos the hr didnt mention over the phone.

what shld i do now? or just report to work next mon and see how's the employment package like.

on a side note, im actually currently waiting for reply from another company right now. went for both interviews on the same day just tt this one offered first. actually i wouldnt mind both but comparatively i would prefer the other one cos it's a better position and likely to be better pay. anw what im worried now is tt i might get a positive reply from the other company when i start work and this will really make things difficult.

of cos i wish to clarify tt im not accepting this offer bcos im desperate or anything, though i have been jobless for a v long time. it will be a gd learning exp i guess, just tt the pay is kinda on the lower end of my expected.

any advice??

Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Unregistered

Default job

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggedo View Post
hi all i need some help here

im a fresh grad from nus and got a job offer recently. they offered me 2k and this is a job tt is not related to my studies. it's with a non profit organisation

anw, i accepted the job offer verbally and im due to start work next mon. supposed to be today but i requested to postpone by one wk cos of personal issues. anw, what im thinking is do i still have the right to negotiate for a higher salary, or the moment has passed since i accepted the offer. i didnt actually sign anything yet. from what i understand, the hr personnel will go through the appt letter with me when i report for work next wk. so far i only know the working hrs, and tt there's 18 days annual leave, medical, dental and insurance (not sure of amt) after 3mths probation. the rest, like maybe bonus, increments etc im not sure cos the hr didnt mention over the phone.

what shld i do now? or just report to work next mon and see how's the employment package like.

on a side note, im actually currently waiting for reply from another company right now. went for both interviews on the same day just tt this one offered first. actually i wouldnt mind both but comparatively i would prefer the other one cos it's a better position and likely to be better pay. anw what im worried now is tt i might get a positive reply from the other company when i start work and this will really make things difficult.

of cos i wish to clarify tt im not accepting this offer bcos im desperate or anything, though i have been jobless for a v long time. it will be a gd learning exp i guess, just tt the pay is kinda on the lower end of my expected.

any advice??
Congrats on getting a job. Batch of 2010? 3 months since July ceremony right. Ok my views :

You can try neg again but i doubt hr will increase any further esp you have accepted verbally. On a side note 2k is very low. You are not a guy i hope because with NS, it should be ard 2.3k for gen degree holder min.

On your day of signing, hr will just go through your salary and benefits, leave etc. Bonus and increment depends on your performance or the company's performance so its very unlikely they will go through with you. You should ask if you have a fixed 13th month or AWS while you are at it. Remember that whatever that is NOT stated in the contract, means they do not have to give you regardless of anything.

You can actually start work first. If the other company offers you, better terms etc, you can just quit the current one. 1 week notice for probation? Of course it may seem bad but remember its everybody's game nowadays. YOU do not owe them anything and as such, not obligated to stay esp for 2k.

I wish you well

Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 AM

hi thanks for the input

im not a guy so i guess it's not tt bad? i was thinking maybe it's a non profit org tt's why pay is on the lower side. besides,my friend who got a job related to our studies with an mnc is getting 2.2k only tt's why i kinda lowered my expectations.

right now im hoping the other company replies me within this wk, before i start work. as i have alr postponed by 1 wk alr, i doubt i can ask for more time cos they'll know i have some agenda. i was thinking what if i start work then soon after, say less than a mth, i get the other job. wont it reflect badly on me if i resign so soon..

or shld i give this job up and search for others? this is actually my first job offer and im worried when will the next one come if i give this up now. altho commencement was in july but actually i alr finished my studies since may so strictly speaking i have been jobless for 5mths plus alr.

really dunno how

Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Unregistered

You should ask about the total package and that means asking about bonuses before you start work. For example, do they pay other variable bonuses and/or performance bonus? $2k may appear low but if they follow the civil service's bonus structure the annual package may well turn out to be more than the other job that you are hoping to get.

Why don't you tell the other company that you need an answer by this week as you already have a job offer?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggedo View Post
hi thanks for the input

im not a guy so i guess it's not tt bad? i was thinking maybe it's a non profit org tt's why pay is on the lower side. besides,my friend who got a job related to our studies with an mnc is getting 2.2k only tt's why i kinda lowered my expectations.

right now im hoping the other company replies me within this wk, before i start work. as i have alr postponed by 1 wk alr, i doubt i can ask for more time cos they'll know i have some agenda. i was thinking what if i start work then soon after, say less than a mth, i get the other job. wont it reflect badly on me if i resign so soon..

or shld i give this job up and search for others? this is actually my first job offer and im worried when will the next one come if i give this up now. altho commencement was in july but actually i alr finished my studies since may so strictly speaking i have been jobless for 5mths plus alr.

really dunno how
What course did you study at Uni? Even for a gal 2k its still on the low side nowadays. Poly grads are already getting 1.8k seriously.

Like i said resigning after a week or so may look bad but thats all to it. You are not counting on this company for referral anyway I mean lets say the other company offer you 2.3k, better benefits etc, why stay on?

I think you are not desperate or anything for a job but its kind of demoralising to be jobless for 5 months. Esp seeing your other friends alr landed themselves with jobs? Take up this job first and should the other company offer you better terms later, just resign. It is very common now.

Hope to see your updates here next time.

Good luck
Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

I think you should let the other company know you have an offer on hand. Do it tactfully and they will likely to expedite for you if they are keen to hire you. Also, they will bear that in mind and give you what they can offer.

Negotiation of salary is always done before acceptance. Once accepted, its very tough to negotiate unless you want to play the card "I would very much want to join you, but another company is offering me X amount more".

To play this card, you need to really have another offer from B in case A really turns you down.

Good luck and other forumers are right, you are free to accept first, work and search for a better job. There is absolutely no obligation to stay in a job, even after 1 week, if another company can offer better pay and prospect.

Remember this is a free market economy - do what is best for yourself. good luck!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

ya you should sound the other company out, let them know them you are going to start work / accept the current offer and see if they can expedite or at least give you an update on what are the chances of getting the job.

If really cannot but they offer you a good package later then no choice just resign since you are on probation anyway and depending on your contract could be just a week's notice.

More importantly, if you manage to get the other offer as well, see which place has better prospects and career development. That should be your main priority now. Earlier on, pay should not be such an important factor, company/branding + career prospects & development should be your main concern at least for the first 2-3 years.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:43 PM

hi all thanks for the advice

i've actually thought of dropping the other side an email but i'm not sure what is the proper way to phrase my letter w/o sounding too desperate or like 'threatening' them. any suggestions here?

to let you guys understand the situation more i shld probably state the companies so i can get more input regarding prospects and stuff. the one that offered me is s'pore chinese chamber of commercce and industry, executive position in the membership department. the other is with one of the cdc, under people's association for the position of asst manager (projects management). jobscope wise i actually dont mind either, though the cdc one would probably be slightly more challenging but longer hrs and more work i guess
Old 12-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

Oh CDC? I think you can forget about any huge diff in pay packages probably. And asst manager for a fresh grad? Shouldnt it be at least 2 years exp? You should take care about the sounding out part as you being a fresh grad, you are at a slight disadvantage.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:18 PM

cos i thought people's assoc pays quite well. as for the name of the position, i think it's like 'default' for degree holders i guess. i have a friend working at PA and she's getting 3k as a fresh grad. the fact that they called me up for interview even though i applied like early aug and for another position actually goes to show that they dont mind freshies i guess

ya i know the sounding out part can either increase or ruin my chances tt's why im not sure how to phrase it. or shld i just do nth and wait