I versus Foreign Talent - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff

I versus Foreign Talent

Old 17-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Verified Member

Inneart is on a distinguished road
Default I versus Foreign Talent

Here's the light to job security conundrums in most industries:

Why do local folks procrastinate about dreary working motion, miserable remuneration, etc?
It's true indeed, that many faced retrenchment and had to relinquish their places to foreign workers. I too, for one, agree that there's a degree of affliction to our job security due to the colossal influx of foreign talents per se.

However, why don't we cast a critical eye on ourselves? Thus far, many posts that I've seen or came across stowed away individuals who have average to poor grades at school, holding a private degree or only a diploma. There are many other blatant factors but I believe this is by far the greatest infirmity that most locals have yet they choose to blame it solely on extrinsic factors.

I shan't begin any discourse on the effects of globalization or its effectual extent on Singapore as a capitalist society. The victims were right in this sense: Organizations cry "CHEAPER LABOUR engagement is in effect!" toward lower tier job positions as compared to unique or highly skilled positions. It's a fight between lowly rats. So why must they take your citizenship or dire straits into consideration LEST you are a SKILLED worker? Think about that.

To conclude, in lay portrayal, be exceptional or be extinguished. Either that or be extremely hardworking and determined. Irrespective of descent or government, one's success largely falls on one's work and credit. This begets employability, my friends.

With that, I humbly plead my case in acknowledging and concurring that most local varsity graduates don't have to deal with such conundrums disregarding inevitable crises, period.

Old 18-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Unregistered

A Singaporean can be skilled, hardworking and determined, do the best he can. But compared to a foreigner who is no better than him in skill but cheaper to hire, many companies with an eye to the bottom line, would hire the foreigner. Worse, they make the Singaporean train up the clueless foreigner, to take over his job.

To have meritocracy is good. But to have society based solely on shape up or ship out, is to ignore the needs of the average man, which form the majority of our society. It would be to run a country like Singapore Inc; where if you can't run at good speed and as cheap you are cut off. Its sounds manageable when you are young, educated, motivated, healthy, and your family does not need much money to survive (that is if your family is in India, China, etc where cost of living is low compared to here).

But what happens if you can't keep up? If everyone is so exceptional, who would be average? Most people are by definition average. Who takes care of their welfare?

Even the exceptional man may have his down days, may get sick and will certainly grow old, then where is his place? The elitism-based society you are championing, will lead to a cold and heartless society which ignores and abandons those that can't keep up. Already, Singapore does not have many benefits for the needy and struggling. We should not swing even further to make life harder for the average Singaporean by allowing vast amounts of foreigners (now 40%) into our country.

While I recognise that some foreigners are necessary on the low skilled and the high skilled end, the extent of immigration into our country in the past few years is shocking. Many of these foreigners are hired for jobs that Singaporeans Can and Want to do. Coupled with the lack of protection for Singaporean's livelihoods, my heart goes out to the average Singaporean.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Verified Member

Well, to be honest, I am 70% bordering on your side. Nonetheless, the gist of this post is to shed greater light on why procrastination will eventually fail.

It's factual that Singapore is a capitalist society like I've mentioned afore thus our government's unsaid sacrosanct policy of meritocracy has somehow devastated our local workforce and families.

Again, my point is to tell everyone to either be exceptional here or be extinguished. Move on to other options like migration, having a diverse portfolio and developing your career if elitism isn't your game. I mean after all, unfortunately, it takes more than feedback and election to change the government...

Old 18-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Unregistered

In UK, where the population is 60 million, the Brits were aghast over 2 million net migration over TEN years. They were angry over a 3% increase.

Singapore has 5 million and we had 1 million net increase over 10 years. That's a shocking 20% increase.

See a local blogger's commentary:
Diary of A Singaporean Mind: PM Cameron on UK's immigration woes...
Old 18-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In UK, where the population is 60 million, the Brits were aghast over 2 million net migration over TEN years. They were angry over a 3% increase.

Singapore has 5 million and we had 1 million net increase over 10 years. That's a shocking 20% increase.

See a local blogger's commentary:
Diary of A Singaporean Mind: PM Cameron on UK's immigration woes...
Stay tuned for 6.5 million. The only way to survive well in Singapore is to become rich and run multiple businesses hiring cheap foreign labour. This place is undeniably pro-rich and pro-business.
Old 18-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Verified Member

Yes, globalization has blurred boundaries and hence 'shipped' individuals across places.

For one who protests against expatriates, another promotes emigration. So it's up to us to stay or leave. If you stay, make sure you're the best in your field here. If not, leave for other options.

Have you not understood the modern framework of career development as opposed to conventional one? A cog in the wheel and mere job security to empowerment and the ability to do anything, anywhere, anytime at any given notice.

Old 18-07-2011, 08:05 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

Inneart,

If i can simplify your statements,
You are saying , the fittest survive. The rest drool.

Well, that being the case. Look at it this way.

Every nation has people in top , middle and bottom.

It goes without saying the top can be anywhere in the world. So the question is why should they stay here in Singapore?

Let me put to you one view without many words.

They stay here because they can be top without doing anything to help the bottom and anyone here for that matter. When things get bad here, just move on to the next nation without any consequences.

Other nations, they will get tax super high , or in some ways of helping the local economy, they will be asked to "give back".

As one FT once said in my face, your government give me free education, free lodging and even offer me citizenship so i can even travel easily to other nations. And because FT works in MNC, he dont even bother to serve their bond here other than paying taxes for 5 years. FT bought HDB flat, rent it out out to others within 1 year. He is blantly flouting rules of the HDB flat but he doesnt care because if he is caught, he just have to sell back the HDB at market price.

So tell me , how do you respond if such FT comes to your face and tells you this.
Old 18-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Verified Member

Well, I mentioned earlier that I stood 70% on the side against the FTs.

Such scenarios are most unforeseeable therefore we should do our own critical examination and seek to be the top.
Old 18-07-2011, 10:36 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

well i dont think it just about seeking to be number one.
i just feel we arent even treated the same as ft in my own country.

to give more egs

singaporeans we have to serve ns. FT dont. even if they come in b4 18 etc.
we are told we r quitters if we leave this country for a better place. they are labelled as talents...
we dont get any special study grants even if we produce the same class honors as ft...
if u need a scholarship , we have to fight both local and ft for a local scholarship
u try to get hdb with parents cannot because parents own hdb. ft can apply for hdb andn form a family concept with their parents whom r on permanent pass..... oh yeah, their parents own property outside sg but can u catch them ?
singaporean males got to do reservist... why cant ft be asked to give time to singapore in other ways ?

the list goes on...

if singaporean goes to any other country, and i really wish to know which other country can give us the same perks we give ft....as i will seriously consider going there....

only recently we have asked these ft to learn to sing our national anthem.
go watch how our ft sport players sing it when they win a medal for singapore....it is just smile and move mouth without words....

oh yeah... and if they eArn enough here.. just go marry someone from their home country and be a citizen again...WITHOUT penalty....

i was not against ft but after working with so many and for so long, i just dont see how the playing field is fair...and i am in my own country... and this is the same thing my ft says to me... at first i thought only one or two such ungrateful idiots.... until i worked in a company which is hq overseas... and singaporeans r treated like dirt there and my ft colleagues tell me these things in the face.....n to all singaporeans there....

i have learnt that unfortunately we singaporeans r so used to being abused we just suck it up... and even if we want to complain, who can we complain to ?
make too much noise only kanna wack further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inneart View Post
Well, I mentioned earlier that I stood 70% on the side against the FTs.

Such scenarios are most unforeseeable therefore we should do our own critical examination and seek to be the top.
Old 19-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Unregistered

The uneven playing field starts even before work, at school.

It is well known (on the internet at least) that fully paid scholarships and allowances are given to foreigners to study at local universities. How and why did the foreigners come? They were INVITED, none other than by the Singapore government e.g. adverts were placed in local newspapers abroad, events organised abroad. The quality of these foreign students, particularly in recent years, is questionable. It has come to the point that a lousier foreigner can win a scholarship over a better Singaporean. Come graduation, the foreigner has zero student debt, whereas the Singaporean has a debt of > 20k (4 years study). The Singaporean male also starts work later due to NS, losing two years of income.

Why are foreigners treated better than Singaporeans? Is it because most Singaporeans are unlikely to leave our families here, and will put up with most things, because we are a compliant lot? Is it because the government can simply get away with it, at least until the next election?

Can we trust the government to act in the average Singaporean's interest? Only if you are the ideal citizen (cheaper smarter faster younger tougher and thinks that the PAP can do no wrong), which then Singapore is perfectly suited to you. Work until you drop dead from exhaustion, then the hole gets plugged by a foreigner, no problem, so many here anyway. That is what extreme pragmatism does for you, Singaporean. Is that how you want to live, is that the country that we have become?

For the average born and bred Singaporean, when does it stop? Does it ever stop? Perhaps when Singapore is as cheap as China but as good as say Switzerland. I will be gone from this country by then, I don't like how it has become, and I do not trust my government anymore.