Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - I versus Foreign Talent
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Unregistered

The uneven playing field starts even before work, at school.

It is well known (on the internet at least) that fully paid scholarships and allowances are given to foreigners to study at local universities. How and why did the foreigners come? They were INVITED, none other than by the Singapore government e.g. adverts were placed in local newspapers abroad, events organised abroad. The quality of these foreign students, particularly in recent years, is questionable. It has come to the point that a lousier foreigner can win a scholarship over a better Singaporean. Come graduation, the foreigner has zero student debt, whereas the Singaporean has a debt of > 20k (4 years study). The Singaporean male also starts work later due to NS, losing two years of income.

Why are foreigners treated better than Singaporeans? Is it because most Singaporeans are unlikely to leave our families here, and will put up with most things, because we are a compliant lot? Is it because the government can simply get away with it, at least until the next election?

Can we trust the government to act in the average Singaporean's interest? Only if you are the ideal citizen (cheaper smarter faster younger tougher and thinks that the PAP can do no wrong), which then Singapore is perfectly suited to you. Work until you drop dead from exhaustion, then the hole gets plugged by a foreigner, no problem, so many here anyway. That is what extreme pragmatism does for you, Singaporean. Is that how you want to live, is that the country that we have become?

For the average born and bred Singaporean, when does it stop? Does it ever stop? Perhaps when Singapore is as cheap as China but as good as say Switzerland. I will be gone from this country by then, I don't like how it has become, and I do not trust my government anymore.