Compare civil service salary - Page 1207 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #12061 (permalink)  
Old 17-06-2021, 10:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, I am a fresh grad from NUS and recently received verbal offers from LTA and DSTA for their software engineer role. HR only asked if I was interested and will be processing background check before sending me offer letter. Would like to get some advice on which would be a better statboard to join in terms of career progression and prospects, pay etc. TIA!
Is your background from Computer Science?

Reply With Quote
  #12062 (permalink)  
Old 17-06-2021, 12:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is your background from Computer Science?
Nope, I major in political science with a minor in economics

Reply With Quote
  #12063 (permalink)  
Old 17-06-2021, 04:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What's the total compensation like in admin service nowadays? Asking for the sake of curiosity.

Reply With Quote
  #12064 (permalink)  
Old 17-06-2021, 07:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, I am a fresh grad from NUS and recently received verbal offers from LTA and DSTA for their software engineer role. HR only asked if I was interested and will be processing background check before sending me offer letter. Would like to get some advice on which would be a better statboard to join in terms of career progression and prospects, pay etc. TIA!
would advise against dsta. based on glassdoor and the dsta thread, seems like there are major organisational issues in the sb...

dsta also least transferable skills if you want to leave after a few years.
Reply With Quote
  #12065 (permalink)  
Old 17-06-2021, 11:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
would advise against dsta. based on glassdoor and the dsta thread, seems like there are major organisational issues in the sb...

dsta also least transferable skills if you want to leave after a few years.
Yup need to be careful of public sector. They pay higher starting salaries for a reason.
Reply With Quote
  #12066 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2021, 12:53 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nope, I major in political science with a minor in economics
I was the one that posted #12060 as I thought you are a Com Eng thats why asking why not Govtech.

DSTA and LTA, not the best for SWE.. but if you need to choose, then LTA.

HDB, IRAS, CPF or STB are a few good place to beside Govtech for Software engineering role.
Reply With Quote

  #12067 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2021, 07:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
would advise against dsta. based on glassdoor and the dsta thread, seems like there are major organisational issues in the sb...

dsta also least transferable skills if you want to leave after a few years.
After reading many reviews in Glassdoor, I realise every company is a bad company. Apparently, unhappy staff took to Glassdoor to voice their unhappiness against the company. Every company will surely have unhappy staff due to misfit or personality clashes with bosses or colleagues. So I suggest you can read reviews in Glassdoor, but donít be too overly influenced by all the negative reviews. My father works whole life in DSTA btw. Of course he has his fair share of ups and downs, but he is well compensated for all his hard works.
Reply With Quote
  #12068 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2021, 09:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yup need to be careful of public sector. They pay higher starting salaries for a reason.
Could you elaborate further? Is it to hook graduates in for a few years before they realise they are irrelevant/unsuitable/inapt to the private sector? I'm assuming pay progression is very slow in public sector too (anyone else can opine)? The perks is the iron rice bowl I guess?
Reply With Quote
  #12069 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2021, 09:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
After reading many reviews in Glassdoor, I realise every company is a bad company. Apparently, unhappy staff took to Glassdoor to voice their unhappiness against the company. Every company will surely have unhappy staff due to misfit or personality clashes with bosses or colleagues. So I suggest you can read reviews in Glassdoor, but donít be too overly influenced by all the negative reviews. My father works whole life in DSTA btw. Of course he has his fair share of ups and downs, but he is well compensated for all his hard works.
not to say that your father's experience isn't accurate, but i think it would not be right to dismiss the reviews in general based on one person's experience, especially given the volume of negative reviews which i must say is really unusual even for glassdoor. after all it is a big organisation and your father most likely is not in the departments that are experiencing real mismanagement issues. unhappy staff may be due to misfit/personality clashes, but it can also reveal actual problems in their department, especially if they are systemic.

so, suggest the poster who is lucky enough to have both dsta and lta offers, take the glassdoor reviews with pinch of salt, but don't ignore the negative reviews at the same time. best is if you can actually talk to someone in dsta to get an idea if possible
Reply With Quote
  #12070 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2021, 10:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Could you elaborate further? Is it to hook graduates in for a few years before they realise they are irrelevant/unsuitable/inapt to the private sector? I'm assuming pay progression is very slow in public sector too (anyone else can opine)? The perks is the iron rice bowl I guess?
Yep this is the main reason basically. Same as why uniformed organisations pay even more than just standard civil service at the fresh grad levels. Once you are accustomed to the high pay, you wont ever get out
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 149 15-06-2021 09:35 AM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,627 Replies, 4,578,387 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,547 Replies, 7,326,690 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,728 Replies, 1,403,482 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,657 Replies, 4,343,393 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,514 Replies, 728,575 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
327 Replies, 451,733 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,057 Replies, 2,515,583 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,587 Replies, 1,266,119 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,997 Replies, 2,489,920 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,909 Replies, 1,740,022 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 56,540 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
470 Replies, 270,392 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 150,835 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
615 Replies, 95,467 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,844 Replies, 605,604 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,330 Replies, 568,232 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 25,863 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
865 Replies, 218,122 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 736,167 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 98,898 Views
Perm to contract, increase > 2k... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 3,826 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 639,358 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 23,692 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 69,726 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,093 Replies, 1,309,503 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
229 Replies, 106,573 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 32,948 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
434 Replies, 272,018 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
62 Replies, 34,338 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
734 Replies, 196,139 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2