Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Really that bad for engineers?

Old 16-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stop blaming foreigners. If foreginer influx and cheap labor and hard work was the only reason for FT import, then they would do it in all areas and not just engineering. Why would banks not hire cheap labor and make them work more ??? The fact is that Singaporeans do not produce enough number of good-enough engineers.

Look at ur research labs like A-star. I had applied there as a foreigner and the very next day they called me for an interview and offered a job. I was a fresh grad student from NUS. Ofcoz, A-star does not pay that well so I did not go for it. But, where are ur singaporean engineers. Stop blaming FTs. The truth is that singaporean engineers are not capable to earning high salaries. And those who are , go to banking n finance.

The turth is a mediocre engineer can still earn better in finance. Just bcus the salaries are slightly higher in finance sector, does not mean that people are brainier. But to succeed n earn well in engineering, u need to be smart which most local people are not.
Contrary to what you believe, foreign Engineers are hired because they are not as smart as locals and they are mostly "yes man". And of course, MOST of them are cheaper than locals to begin with, bringing down the salaries of Engineers. This is one of the reason why productivity of Singapore has fallen over the years.

A-Star don't pay well? If you still don't know why, read what I write again.

Old 16-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was not angry. but as a foreigner, i find it weird when people make a 1 point agenda to blame foreigners. A-star pays 4500SGD to fresh Phd. I think thats low. Considering that Singapore has become costlier over the years. 5 yrs back , 4500 was ok. But now , its simply not enough. The pay is stagnant in places like NUS, A-star, etc. I dont work in Singapore ritenow but I was thinking that MNCs mite pay well. But engineering MNCs are not there in Singapore.

Clearly, engineers who dont make it high in their fields try to change to finance n banking. What I meant is that an average guy in banking perhaps makes a little more than a guy with the same caliber in engineering. I see every other engineer who does see a bright future contemplating a switch to Banking and Finance. Clearly they think they can do better in that area. So, I assume it should be slightly easier than technology.

Some engineers make good money. But the majority dont and the reason being, they are average. And when average people get frustrated n loose enthusiasm, they want to switch to whatever is lucrative.
That's because most salaries in Singapore have not been increasing much for the last few years. And the reason being the huge foreign influx. You need to grow up, wake up, read more, think more, widen your view, and get out of your well, you little whining frog. How many highly paid Engineers do you know? How many switched to Banking and Finance as you claim? No Engineering MNC in Singapore? You are really ignorant. If everybody makes good money, the cost will be too much for any company. There are many factors that contribute to financial success. I am so glad that you don't work in Singapore, we don't need smart ass like you here.

Old 16-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Can I know are you a 2nd upper/1st class honours grad?
Are you still working in A*Star after you grad? if not Private sector or government sector?
You grad in which year?
Which industry are you in as an engineer?

I find it very curious how you manage to get a pay of $4300 after 1.5 years of exp from fresh grad?

I was also an engineer grad from ntu 2nd lower, after 2 year 8mth in the same company, my basic is still less than $3200.

Can you tell how u get to $4300 basic in 1.5 years
I am a 2nd upper mech engine grad from NTU. Graduated 2 years back, slack for 0.5 years. So that's why my working experience is only 1.5 years. My basic was $3.4k straight after I graduated. I am in the private sector not govt.

In the oil and gas industry, business is very fast paced and the clients are very demanding and I see this as a good thing. This allows you to showcase your talents. I worked extremely hard for 1 year in a MNC this industry and when my boss left for another company, he brought me along with him, of course with a nice pay increase, since I sacrificed my annual bonus to join him.

Oh just to put this into perspective, my boss is not my dad or a rich relative and I wasn't born with a silver spoon. I am just an ordinary humble engineer running the rat race.

Which industry are you in Unregistered?

Old 17-06-2010, 03:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am a 2nd upper mech engine grad from NTU. Graduated 2 years back, slack for 0.5 years. So that's why my working experience is only 1.5 years. My basic was $3.4k straight after I graduated. I am in the private sector not govt.

In the oil and gas industry, business is very fast paced and the clients are very demanding and I see this as a good thing. This allows you to showcase your talents. I worked extremely hard for 1 year in a MNC this industry and when my boss left for another company, he brought me along with him, of course with a nice pay increase, since I sacrificed my annual bonus to join him.

Oh just to put this into perspective, my boss is not my dad or a rich relative and I wasn't born with a silver spoon. I am just an ordinary humble engineer running the rat race.

Which industry are you in Unregistered?
Hi,

I am also an engineer graduated from NTU with 1.5 yrs of experience. I am currently in a manufacturing based MNC working as a production engineer, and i draw about 3.5k. I am lucky to be in the best performing department in my coy, with good immediate boss and superb HOD, coupled with experienced-yet-willing-to-teach senior, which is a rare senior i guess. The supervisors in average have more than 15yrs of experience, i only need to ask and make decisions. I have chances to work with all levels including top management, and engaged in multiple multi-functional projects, and some management level work, which i like a lot compared to engineering responsibilities. Like Unregistered, i also worked my ass off and i have gained reputation in the coy.

But i have tendered my resignation 3 weeks ago. I have decided to go have a try in another industry. Many colleagues were surprised as I am a A-performer with good recognition from all levels, but yet i chose to leave. My reasons are simple. I want money fast, i do not mind putting in long hours of work, facing difficult clients, and most importantly I want instant rewards. I can stay long in this engineering line, outlast fellow locals, (Foreigners have much lower chance in rising all the way up) and hopefully seat in middle management maybe 10 years down the road. But that is all 10 yrs down the road although it comes with stable rise, stable position, as long as the company earns, you are safe. Engineering jobs have its pros too, you just have to weigh the cons and find your path. As for me, the cons way outweigh the pros, so exit is the only option.

There is no end to comparing material gains in this society at this era. IMO, time can be better spent on trying to know what you want, and get to know how to get what you want.
Old 17-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Unregistered

Default un

very motivational speech and I believe it's from bottom of your heart.
i like that...

Can I ask which field are you going to?
Because I'm about to make a similar decision as yours...
Old 17-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Unregistered

Default whacking Mr

Whats motivational about the speech. All he is saying is that he is an excellent engineer and is switching fields for more money. Isnt this the story of most engineers who are stuck with slow pay rises.

And all this within 1-2 years of job. They decided that Engineering is not for them so get into something lucrative soon.

Old 17-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Yes. You are right.
It's just that for each individual one of them, it's a big decision to make.

Although we don't know how many of them eventually take action...
Old 17-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi,

I am also an engineer graduated from NTU with 1.5 yrs of experience. I am currently in a manufacturing based MNC working as a production engineer, and i draw about 3.5k. I am lucky to be in the best performing department in my coy, with good immediate boss and superb HOD, coupled with experienced-yet-willing-to-teach senior, which is a rare senior i guess. The supervisors in average have more than 15yrs of experience, i only need to ask and make decisions. I have chances to work with all levels including top management, and engaged in multiple multi-functional projects, and some management level work, which i like a lot compared to engineering responsibilities. Like Unregistered, i also worked my ass off and i have gained reputation in the coy.

But i have tendered my resignation 3 weeks ago. I have decided to go have a try in another industry. Many colleagues were surprised as I am a A-performer with good recognition from all levels, but yet i chose to leave. My reasons are simple. I want money fast, i do not mind putting in long hours of work, facing difficult clients, and most importantly I want instant rewards. I can stay long in this engineering line, outlast fellow locals, (Foreigners have much lower chance in rising all the way up) and hopefully seat in middle management maybe 10 years down the road. But that is all 10 yrs down the road although it comes with stable rise, stable position, as long as the company earns, you are safe. Engineering jobs have its pros too, you just have to weigh the cons and find your path. As for me, the cons way outweigh the pros, so exit is the only option.

There is no end to comparing material gains in this society at this era. IMO, time can be better spent on trying to know what you want, and get to know how to get what you want.
Actually, your pay is not bad for an engineer with 1.5 years of experience. May I ask which industry are you moving on to? Do you regret not moving on any sooner? How much do you know/ how many people do you know in the same industry? I've been working as an engineer for 1.5 weeks after graduating from NTU mech engine and I already feel obliged to move out... Though my pay is rather comfortable I would say but still its nothing outrageous at all.
Old 17-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Unregistered

is there any engineer in this fricking singapore who is happy with his life , work n money...

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 17-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Unregistered

Default Satisfaction is relative not absolute

I'm pretty sure there are many engineers who are more than satisfied with a salary that many others would consider mediocre. Besides, satisfaction is relative not absolute. Hell if I had I hundred dollar bill in my pocket now I would be gleaming, but if it was someone else he might be frowning.

The thing about making money is that you can be happy but never contented, especially if you are working for someone.