Really that bad for engineers? - Page 104 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Really that bad for engineers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1031 (permalink)  
Old 19-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm planning to do mechanical engineering coz I would like to be involved in the mechanical side of biomedical engineering.

You say that engineers are well respected in the US or Europe but I'm not sure about migrating to those countries because there aren't many biomedical engineering jobs and I'll have to compete with the locals.
If you are so sure that you want to be in biomedical engineering, by all means take the engineering degree. Mechanical,materials or whatever its not important. You will need a PhD to get anywhere anyway as the field is very focused on research. So as long as you like research and are good at it, there are plenty of opportunities as local postgraduate programs are very unpopular with locals. As long as you have 2nd upper it wont be a problem. Of course if you want the prestigious overseas unis PhD programs you'll have to do better. Money wise in the sector it is not too bad, and if you have a breakthrough product you will really do well.

Reply With Quote
  #1032 (permalink)  
Old 19-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you are so sure that you want to be in biomedical engineering, by all means take the engineering degree. Mechanical,materials or whatever its not important. You will need a PhD to get anywhere anyway as the field is very focused on research. So as long as you like research and are good at it, there are plenty of opportunities as local postgraduate programs are very unpopular with locals. As long as you have 2nd upper it wont be a problem. Of course if you want the prestigious overseas unis PhD programs you'll have to do better. Money wise in the sector it is not too bad, and if you have a breakthrough product you will really do well.
PhD?!?!?! That would take tooooo long and the money is "not too bad"?? Not even average?? I should maybe just do something else

Reply With Quote
  #1033 (permalink)  
Old 20-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjunior View Post
Hi all, I'm a 20 year old currently in NS and going to study mechanical engineering next year(NUS). I read through many of the posts and found many people talking about how engineering is a dead-end career, the low pay in singapore etc...

I'm quite worried that this is true but I really have a interest in this area and the sciences. (I did quite well for my A levels (5As) and so had the option to choose other courses.) Having said that, I don't intend to be an engineer all my life but just for a few years to gain some experience in the field, then move on to higher managing roles.
cannot imagine a 20 yr old guy could plan/schedule his life in such a way..
Go for your dream, forget what t other's saying.
You could be any champion in any area if you like it, dream it, and work for it.
If a champion is still worrying about money, something must be wrong.
There is nothing to be dead end.

Reply With Quote
  #1034 (permalink)  
Old 20-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Every single engineering undergrad out there talks like this nowadays, just go to a convocation at NTU or NUS and talk to some engineer grads you probably hear things along this line

Sentence 1:
"oh I want to do engineering a few years first, then after that get MBA and move on to management"
Sentence 2:
"I dont see any future in engineering, what are my chances in getting into finance with an engineering degree."

and the classic one "Should I get a CFA or MBA so that I can switch into finance"

I really think its a tragic that the once highly sought after profession in 80s has engaged full speed in reverse gear today.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
cannot imagine a 20 yr old guy could plan/schedule his life in such a way..
Go for your dream, forget what t other's saying.
You could be any champion in any area if you like it, dream it, and work for it.
If a champion is still worrying about money, something must be wrong.
There is nothing to be dead end.
Reply With Quote
  #1035 (permalink)  
Old 21-09-2014, 12:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Every single engineering undergrad out there talks like this nowadays, just go to a convocation at NTU or NUS and talk to some engineer grads you probably hear things along this line

Sentence 1:
"oh I want to do engineering a few years first, then after that get MBA and move on to management"
Sentence 2:
"I dont see any future in engineering, what are my chances in getting into finance with an engineering degree."

and the classic one "Should I get a CFA or MBA so that I can switch into finance"

I really think its a tragic that the once highly sought after profession in 80s has engaged full speed in reverse gear today.
From personal experience local uni engineering courses churn out a max of 10% of real engineers. The rest, lacking the passion or the brains will be as above dreaming for their finance/management future and eventually being stuck at the boring, low pay, low job security engineering job for the next 10-15 years before coming undone.
Reply With Quote
  #1036 (permalink)  
Old 21-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
PhD?!?!?! That would take tooooo long and the money is "not too bad"?? Not even average?? I should maybe just do something else
Nobody on this forum knows what they are talking about. Don't come here for advice.

Your best approach is to talk to people who are studying or had studied bioengineering. Ask them what they like or hate about their major, ask them about their future plans.
Reply With Quote

  #1037 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

come become a financial analyst, come to smu bro.
Reply With Quote
  #1038 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
come become a financial analyst, come to smu bro.
Yes! Come join the 10,000 other sad smu hopefuls wanting to fly high in finance. Only 10 will make it to front office and the 9990 will work in some back end position while convincing themselves that they work in a prestigious bank
Reply With Quote
  #1039 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes! Come join the 10,000 other sad smu hopefuls wanting to fly high in finance. Only 10 will make it to front office and the 9990 will work in some back end position while convincing themselves that they work in a prestigious bank
Sadly back office earns more than engineer lol.
Reply With Quote
  #1040 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sadly back office earns more than engineer lol.
this is very true.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
banking, engineering, finance

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For chemists & chemical engineers chemist Education and Personal Growth 1 30-08-2010 12:12 AM
Engineers - considering CFA or Financial Engineering? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 27 27-09-2009 09:30 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
137 Replies, 65,565 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,695 Replies, 1,255,819 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,311 Replies, 236,666 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,006 Replies, 922,669 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,163 Replies, 881,908 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,745 Replies, 2,395,123 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
932 Replies, 741,730 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,752 Replies, 5,461,771 Views
For local U grads, how well are...
6 Replies, 525 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
90 Replies, 12,421 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 883 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,574 Replies, 1,555,573 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
819 Replies, 535,480 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
257 Replies, 48,741 Views
Want to Save More Money? Our Free...
3 Replies, 2,060 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
862 Replies, 439,402 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 143,272 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
356 Replies, 275,666 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,222 Replies, 1,863,165 Views
Applied Materials
0 Replies, 55 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,839 Replies, 1,060,695 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 241,317 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
59 Replies, 5,162 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,478 Replies, 749,667 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 110,626 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
3 Replies, 1,108 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,711 Replies, 781,198 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 24,034 Views
Cold calls/emails to HR ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,339 Views
Insurance Agent to Bancassurance...
7 Replies, 5,168 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2