Really that bad for engineers? - Page 5 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Really that bad for engineers?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Happy Engineer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Happy Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
is there any engineer in this fricking singapore who is happy with his life , work n money...
Travel all over the world, Germany, various part of China, Switzerland, Prague, Thailand, North till south of Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Canada, Various part of USA.........no control on where I stay and what I eat (all claim to company). Sometime, bring my wife along with me for the trip too

Age 35 drawing 5.5k.

Report to west coast of USA (so, does not need do night conference) factory directly. Handphone, internet bill all claim company as only required to return to office twice a week and the rest of the time work at home when not travelling. Frequecy of flying is about once a mth.

Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Engineer View Post
Travel all over the world, Germany, various part of China, Switzerland, Prague, Thailand, North till south of Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Canada, Various part of USA.........no control on where I stay and what I eat (all claim to company). Sometime, bring my wife along with me for the trip too

Age 35 drawing 5.5k.

Report to west coast of USA (so, does not need do night conference) factory directly. Handphone, internet bill all claim company as only required to return to office twice a week and the rest of the time work at home when not travelling. Frequecy of flying is about once a mth.
Pretty flexible. IT industry? 5.5k per mth includes bonus? If not, what is the average bonus?

Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 18-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Happy Engineer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No, not IT as I don't consider that as engineering and 5.5k for IT personnel is considered as underpay to me. I am in Manufacturing line

Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 23-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
keynesian slave is on a distinguished road
Default

The long term future of our nation will be in for some serious trouble if capable professionals in the engineering/technology sectors are compensated so poorly. Science & technology forms the backbone that spearheads the industrialistion of any country. So it is really tragic that Engineering/Science faculties are being treated as the metaphoric 'dumping grounds' in universitys & polytechnics.

I remember being dispatched to an Engineering Course in NTU despite nearly flunking my A level Physics. I had expected to go into FASS (my first choice) since I did reasonably well for my humanities subject & GP. Apparently the university (or perhaps the entire matriculation system in the greater scheme of things) decided that they would trust me to build a bridge more than they would trust me to learn about economics or political science. I know for a fact that Engineering faculties in other countries (while being equally rigorous academically in terms of lesson time), seem to attract a higher calibre students as reflected by their higher entry hurdles and Engineering graduates eventually move on to jobs which pay rather well. This unfortunately appears to be a Singaporean phenomenon.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 23-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keynesian slave View Post
I remember being dispatched to an Engineering Course in NTU despite nearly flunking my A level Physics.
No wonder engineers here are paid so poorly. They can fail physics at A level and yet read engineering in university!

It's no surprise the good students (including those who at least muster a pass in physics) are reluctant to take up engineering lest they mix with the incapables and go down the path of mediocrity.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No wonder engineers here are paid so poorly. They can fail physics at A level and yet read engineering in university!

It's no surprise the good students (including those who at least muster a pass in physics) are reluctant to take up engineering lest they mix with the incapables and go down the path of mediocrity.
There are two sides to every coin.

Engineering belongs to one of those professions like teaching and taxi driving that are relatively kind to mediocre and poor performers. No matter how bad, even the worst performers will get some income and won't starve.

At the other extreme, entrepreneurs and soccer players earn astronomical incomes but only if they are at the very top of their games. The majority in fact either lose their shirts or starve.

For mediocre to poor performers, engineering represents a relatively safe career option but the problem is of course everyone thinks that he is the best and going to become the next Bill Gates or Messi.
Reply With Quote

  #47 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There are two sides to every coin.

Engineering belongs to one of those professions like teaching and taxi driving that are relatively kind to mediocre and poor performers. No matter how bad, even the worst performers will get some income and won't starve.

At the other extreme, entrepreneurs and soccer players earn astronomical incomes but only if they are at the very top of their games. The majority in fact either lose their shirts or starve.

For mediocre to poor performers, engineering represents a relatively safe career option but the problem is of course everyone thinks that he is the best and going to become the next Bill Gates or Messi.
what a moron with load of crap. comparing engineering with teaching n taxi driving. this seems to be a singapore phenomenon where there are no hi-tech companies.clearly, in many advanced countries, engineering is a very good profession.but then afterall, singapore is an asian country. where students choose career paths based on opportunities n money. most slog in their school life to get to college and most likely, do not enjoy their work. and so its natural that they pick fields with money in singapore.

finance n banking is full of engineers.they are those who cant make it big so they switch as soon as possible hoping they will do better there.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Why engineering need 4 yrs to complete but bank & finance or accountancy only take 3 year? Why a 4 yrs engineering course can't be drawing higher salary or as prestige as a law studies (4 yrs) or Medicine course (5,6 yrs)?

If a 4 yrs course earning lesser that a 3 yrs course with inclusive of 1 yrs of opportunity cost losses, who will want to take up engineering course?
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why engineering need 4 yrs to complete but bank & finance or accountancy only take 3 year? Why a 4 yrs engineering course can't be drawing higher salary or as prestige as a law studies (4 yrs) or Medicine course (5,6 yrs)?

If a 4 yrs course earning lesser that a 3 yrs course with inclusive of 1 yrs of opportunity cost losses, who will want to take up engineering course?

Ya, not to mentioned that engineering course tution fee is more expensive than those 3 yrs course like business studies, IT etc
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ya, not to mentioned that engineering course tution fee is more expensive than those 3 yrs course like business studies, IT etc
so, quit complaining and do a biz degree. engineers in singapore are on par with taxi drivers, as someone mentioned above.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
banking, engineering, finance

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For chemists & chemical engineers chemist Education and Personal Growth 1 30-08-2010 12:12 AM
Engineers - considering CFA or Financial Engineering? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 27 27-09-2009 09:30 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,104 Replies, 5,582,209 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
682 Replies, 211,234 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
393 Replies, 287,421 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,770 Replies, 270,933 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
101 Replies, 13,388 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
377 Replies, 250,652 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,633 Replies, 783,685 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,191 Replies, 970,087 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,597 Replies, 2,606,802 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,294 Replies, 1,907,320 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 735 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 12,997 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,912 Replies, 1,084,461 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 1,222 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,659 Replies, 1,606,075 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 4,021 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 92,710 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,380 Replies, 564,729 Views
Please Share DBS Average Months... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,089 Views
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 22,078 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
2 Replies, 491 Views
where can i buy nintendo stock?
6 Replies, 3,381 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,951 Views
HR Career advice
3 Replies, 1,438 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
89 Replies, 15,504 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,089 Replies, 499,828 Views
Can share your your car...
2 Replies, 229 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
7 Replies, 2,143 Views
Any Kaplan students here can land... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,085 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,291 Replies, 907,569 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2