Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

I am also an engineer graduated from NTU with 1.5 yrs of experience. I am currently in a manufacturing based MNC working as a production engineer, and i draw about 3.5k. I am lucky to be in the best performing department in my coy, with good immediate boss and superb HOD, coupled with experienced-yet-willing-to-teach senior, which is a rare senior i guess. The supervisors in average have more than 15yrs of experience, i only need to ask and make decisions. I have chances to work with all levels including top management, and engaged in multiple multi-functional projects, and some management level work, which i like a lot compared to engineering responsibilities. Like Unregistered, i also worked my ass off and i have gained reputation in the coy.

But i have tendered my resignation 3 weeks ago. I have decided to go have a try in another industry. Many colleagues were surprised as I am a A-performer with good recognition from all levels, but yet i chose to leave. My reasons are simple. I want money fast, i do not mind putting in long hours of work, facing difficult clients, and most importantly I want instant rewards. I can stay long in this engineering line, outlast fellow locals, (Foreigners have much lower chance in rising all the way up) and hopefully seat in middle management maybe 10 years down the road. But that is all 10 yrs down the road although it comes with stable rise, stable position, as long as the company earns, you are safe. Engineering jobs have its pros too, you just have to weigh the cons and find your path. As for me, the cons way outweigh the pros, so exit is the only option.

There is no end to comparing material gains in this society at this era. IMO, time can be better spent on trying to know what you want, and get to know how to get what you want.
Actually, your pay is not bad for an engineer with 1.5 years of experience. May I ask which industry are you moving on to? Do you regret not moving on any sooner? How much do you know/ how many people do you know in the same industry? I've been working as an engineer for 1.5 weeks after graduating from NTU mech engine and I already feel obliged to move out... Though my pay is rather comfortable I would say but still its nothing outrageous at all.