Which job offer should I choose? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Which job offer should I choose?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchen003 View Post
So I am a fresh graduate (1st Class Honors) from local university.
Here are the 3 job offers I receive.

As a fresh grad, I hope you can evaluate these job offers based on the following 2 conditions:
1) The future prospect of the industry
2) Can I learn a lot during the first 3 years of my career.

Money wise, let me tell you: the initial package are almost same for these 3 offers X

Offer 1: Yield Engineer in a semiconductor company.
Offer 2: Level 3 Engineer in a local bank.(1 year renewable contractor)
Offer 3: Penetration Tester in a cyber security company.

Here is what I've been thinking:
I think yield engineer is about data analytics, so data analytics skill is very sought in Singapore. But with regards to semiconductor industry, well sunset now, annual increment peanuts, high stress etc.
Level 3 Engineer I got to exposed to DevOps, learn a lot of new knowledge such as servers, operating system, maintain a website and so on. But as a contractor in a local bank, pretty much like a second citizen in the bank.
Penetration Tester gives me a foot in cyber security field. which is good. but the company seems don't have a good reputation. And I am not sure about pentester future in Singapore.

Any more thoughts?
Thanks
A FCH have no idea what job he wants?
i dont think he has much future.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 01:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A FCH have no idea what job he wants?
i dont think he has much future.
Appreciate your reply and I assume you are a senior with clear career planning for yourself.

Now tell me, when you were in your twenties, fresh out of school, during a career fair. You saw so many companies and you have a clear goal that you want to do cyber security for example. Then you only send your resumes to a couple of few cyber companies. Then tell me when can you find your career planning job?

I have three offers which are not in the same industry but at least they are related to my degree and all of these I have some knowledge in my degree courses.

I didn't apply for chemicals, I didn't apply for insurance, I didn't apply for mechanical and civil because these are the things I DONT like to do and am not good at doing.

If you ask me about my career planning, let me show you my strength. I am good at maths, with sound coding foundation and I am also talktive and is able to present my ideas.

I know there are trends in Singapore such as data analytics, cyber security as well as DevOps which aimed to make Singapore a smart city. That's why I apply for these companies cuz.I thought yield engineer deal with data a lot. Level 3 engineer focus on DevOps and automation and pentester have hands on practice on cyber security.

I know I might be naive in this career planning. But please point out the errors for me instead of saying I have no future. I might not be as smart as you but at least I have the desire to be successful.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Not in the engineering field, however I don't think yield engineer transition that well into analytics. There are definitely transferrable skills like stats, but yield engineers uses purely descriptive analytics. This is no different from what most companies are doing in the past except there may be an addition of big data. The push for analytics in singapre is more for predictive and maybe even prescriptive analytics, requiring skills like machine learning, modelling etc.

My suggestion? Choose a field that interest you, not one that is going to be hot in the future. It'll be easier for you to work towards your goal that way



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Curious about your DBS GA offer, did they recind the offer or just did not get back to you? If they did not get back try emailing your HR contact to see what happened. Afaik they do not just ignore you for no reason, even if they fail background check theyll still at least inform you
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not in the engineering field, however I don't think yield engineer transition that well into analytics. There are definitely transferrable skills like stats, but yield engineers uses purely descriptive analytics. This is no different from what most companies are doing in the past except there may be an addition of big data. The push for analytics in singapre is more for predictive and maybe even prescriptive analytics, requiring skills like machine learning, modelling etc.

My suggestion? Choose a field that interest you, not one that is going to be hot in the future. It'll be easier for you to work towards your goal that way
That is very insightful advice. Thank you.

But there is still one question: how did you choose a field that interests you when you fresh out of school? I only have 3 internships in Banking, Engineering and Manufacturing.. But I think no preference in any of them. That's why I follow what are the hot topics and where the dollar lies in.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Curious about your DBS GA offer, did they recind the offer or just did not get back to you? If they did not get back try emailing your HR contact to see what happened. Afaik they do not just ignore you for no reason, even if they fail background check theyll still at least inform you
Thank you for caring about my past experiences.

However I.dun think this is related to the topic discussed.

It's pretty much some one ask you how did you had a car accident and how many ribs did you broke.

Of course if you are also applicant of GA program and encounter similar issues I am more than happy to tell you.
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchen003 View Post
So I am a fresh graduate (1st Class Honors) from local university.
Here are the 3 job offers I receive.

As a fresh grad, I hope you can evaluate these job offers based on the following 2 conditions:
1) The future prospect of the industry
2) Can I learn a lot during the first 3 years of my career.

Money wise, let me tell you: the initial package are almost same for these 3 offers X

Offer 1: Yield Engineer in a semiconductor company.
Offer 2: Level 3 Engineer in a local bank.(1 year renewable contractor)
Offer 3: Penetration Tester in a cyber security company.

Here is what I've been thinking:
I think yield engineer is about data analytics, so data analytics skill is very sought in Singapore. But with regards to semiconductor industry, well sunset now, annual increment peanuts, high stress etc.
Level 3 Engineer I got to exposed to DevOps, learn a lot of new knowledge such as servers, operating system, maintain a website and so on. But as a contractor in a local bank, pretty much like a second citizen in the bank.
Penetration Tester gives me a foot in cyber security field. which is good. but the company seems don't have a good reputation. And I am not sure about pentester future in Singapore.

Any more thoughts?
Thanks
My #1 experience is to avoid the semicon industry at all cost. It is a sunset industry shrinking in Singapore, every year you hear yet another few companies downsize and move their operations to cheaper places. The margins are so bad that the pay, benefits & bonus is pathetic.

As for the banking job, have you tried other banks? I can understand MAP is very competitive even for a FCH, but taking up a short term contract job seems like swinging right to the other extreme low end.

The cybersecurity I have no knowledge so cannot help. But I agree with the poster above, you should try getting a civil service job, they should be able to pay you much higher for your FCH and NS if you have one. Don't waste time on low pay lousy private sector jobs unless you can find something you like. For your academics even if you go through motion as long as no major cock up can retire with at least a Dy Director which will be more than enough for you and your family to support a upper middle or lower high class lifestyle in Sg.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

With your academics, I think you can apply and be selected for MNCs grad or MA programs. Would you be keen on them or would you prefer to stick to engineering? Something tells me you're more keen to be an engineer.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My #1 experience is to avoid the semicon industry at all cost. It is a sunset industry shrinking in Singapore, every year you hear yet another few companies downsize and move their operations to cheaper places. The margins are so bad that the pay, benefits & bonus is pathetic.

As for the banking job, have you tried other banks? I can understand MAP is very competitive even for a FCH, but taking up a short term contract job seems like swinging right to the other extreme low end.

The cybersecurity I have no knowledge so cannot help. But I agree with the poster above, you should try getting a civil service job, they should be able to pay you much higher for your FCH and NS if you have one. Don't waste time on low pay lousy private sector jobs unless you can find something you like. For your academics even if you go through motion as long as no major cock up can retire with at least a Dy Director which will be more than enough for you and your family to support a upper middle or lower high class lifestyle in Sg.
Thank you for your answer.

Seems semiconductor is really some.place I need to avoid. A lot of my friends also dun even attend interviews when hr approached them.
I tried for MAP in foreogn banks but got rejected either due to technical.skills or due to behaviour performance. Guess I may not be good enough to shine with other top tier fresh grads. I finally received an offer in GA program from DBS but they rescinded after cutting hiring headcount.

Now I think civil service is really somewhere I should go into. Actually my friend study Cvil Eng is gping to LTA. Not sure about his pay but I heard quite well and of course relaxed

Last question: How can get an interview in civil service? I got no feedback after applying...
Finally, haha I never dream I can be some sr director in the future. Hope so!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With your academics, I think you can apply and be selected for MNCs grad or MA programs. Would you be keen on them or would you prefer to stick to engineering? Something tells me you're more keen to be an engineer.
hi

yup, I applied for almost all foreign banks MAP last semester but didn't get any of them. gee....
MAP definitely high pay, good career and glories title and I dun want be engineer. But I have no choice... sad...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
career, engineer, fresh graduates, job offers

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Job to choose from ? MA or Dealer LostSheep Income and Jobs 2 11-07-2015 12:03 AM
Which job to choose? supermint Income and Jobs 0 21-08-2014 05:17 PM
4 Job Offers which One will u Choose torensic Income and Jobs 11 21-01-2014 12:29 PM
Which to choose ? godfred Income and Jobs 0 30-12-2012 01:55 AM
What to choose Daisy Income and Jobs 6 10-04-2011 10:57 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,277 Replies, 1,072,725 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,144 Replies, 2,023,382 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,508 Replies, 6,785,440 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
642 Replies, 172,863 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,217 Replies, 931,528 Views
DSTA or CSIT ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 22,822 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,672 Replies, 9,313,061 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,094 Replies, 3,046,450 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,738 Replies, 2,653,276 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,868 Replies, 3,714,117 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,027 Replies, 909,319 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,000 Replies, 224,874 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
515 Replies, 266,664 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,276 Replies, 940,363 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,410 Replies, 2,420,798 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
335 Replies, 165,326 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
260 Replies, 270,531 Views
Polytechnic lecturer salary range ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 83,978 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,469 Replies, 672,393 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
537 Replies, 164,704 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
150 Replies, 142,130 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,351 Replies, 5,162,287 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 59,783 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
45 Replies, 6,175 Views
Starting pay for fresh grad? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 28,429 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
139 Replies, 219,128 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
368 Replies, 415,120 Views
Applying for govt job?
8 Replies, 5,067 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
698 Replies, 610,730 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
88 Replies, 57,149 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2