Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Which job offer should I choose?

Old 18-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchen003 View Post
So I am a fresh graduate (1st Class Honors) from local university.
Here are the 3 job offers I receive.

As a fresh grad, I hope you can evaluate these job offers based on the following 2 conditions:
1) The future prospect of the industry
2) Can I learn a lot during the first 3 years of my career.

Money wise, let me tell you: the initial package are almost same for these 3 offers X

Offer 1: Yield Engineer in a semiconductor company.
Offer 2: Level 3 Engineer in a local bank.(1 year renewable contractor)
Offer 3: Penetration Tester in a cyber security company.

Here is what I've been thinking:
I think yield engineer is about data analytics, so data analytics skill is very sought in Singapore. But with regards to semiconductor industry, well sunset now, annual increment peanuts, high stress etc.
Level 3 Engineer I got to exposed to DevOps, learn a lot of new knowledge such as servers, operating system, maintain a website and so on. But as a contractor in a local bank, pretty much like a second citizen in the bank.
Penetration Tester gives me a foot in cyber security field. which is good. but the company seems don't have a good reputation. And I am not sure about pentester future in Singapore.

Any more thoughts?
Thanks
A FCH have no idea what job he wants?
i dont think he has much future.

Old 18-04-2016, 01:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A FCH have no idea what job he wants?
i dont think he has much future.
Appreciate your reply and I assume you are a senior with clear career planning for yourself.

Now tell me, when you were in your twenties, fresh out of school, during a career fair. You saw so many companies and you have a clear goal that you want to do cyber security for example. Then you only send your resumes to a couple of few cyber companies. Then tell me when can you find your career planning job?

I have three offers which are not in the same industry but at least they are related to my degree and all of these I have some knowledge in my degree courses.

I didn't apply for chemicals, I didn't apply for insurance, I didn't apply for mechanical and civil because these are the things I DONT like to do and am not good at doing.

If you ask me about my career planning, let me show you my strength. I am good at maths, with sound coding foundation and I am also talktive and is able to present my ideas.

I know there are trends in Singapore such as data analytics, cyber security as well as DevOps which aimed to make Singapore a smart city. That's why I apply for these companies cuz.I thought yield engineer deal with data a lot. Level 3 engineer focus on DevOps and automation and pentester have hands on practice on cyber security.

I know I might be naive in this career planning. But please point out the errors for me instead of saying I have no future. I might not be as smart as you but at least I have the desire to be successful.

Old 18-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Unregistered

Not in the engineering field, however I don't think yield engineer transition that well into analytics. There are definitely transferrable skills like stats, but yield engineers uses purely descriptive analytics. This is no different from what most companies are doing in the past except there may be an addition of big data. The push for analytics in singapre is more for predictive and maybe even prescriptive analytics, requiring skills like machine learning, modelling etc.

My suggestion? Choose a field that interest you, not one that is going to be hot in the future. It'll be easier for you to work towards your goal that way

Old 18-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Unregistered

Curious about your DBS GA offer, did they recind the offer or just did not get back to you? If they did not get back try emailing your HR contact to see what happened. Afaik they do not just ignore you for no reason, even if they fail background check theyll still at least inform you
Old 18-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not in the engineering field, however I don't think yield engineer transition that well into analytics. There are definitely transferrable skills like stats, but yield engineers uses purely descriptive analytics. This is no different from what most companies are doing in the past except there may be an addition of big data. The push for analytics in singapre is more for predictive and maybe even prescriptive analytics, requiring skills like machine learning, modelling etc.

My suggestion? Choose a field that interest you, not one that is going to be hot in the future. It'll be easier for you to work towards your goal that way
That is very insightful advice. Thank you.

But there is still one question: how did you choose a field that interests you when you fresh out of school? I only have 3 internships in Banking, Engineering and Manufacturing.. But I think no preference in any of them. That's why I follow what are the hot topics and where the dollar lies in.
Old 18-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Curious about your DBS GA offer, did they recind the offer or just did not get back to you? If they did not get back try emailing your HR contact to see what happened. Afaik they do not just ignore you for no reason, even if they fail background check theyll still at least inform you
Thank you for caring about my past experiences.

However I.dun think this is related to the topic discussed.

It's pretty much some one ask you how did you had a car accident and how many ribs did you broke.

Of course if you are also applicant of GA program and encounter similar issues I am more than happy to tell you.

Old 18-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchen003 View Post
So I am a fresh graduate (1st Class Honors) from local university.
Here are the 3 job offers I receive.

As a fresh grad, I hope you can evaluate these job offers based on the following 2 conditions:
1) The future prospect of the industry
2) Can I learn a lot during the first 3 years of my career.

Money wise, let me tell you: the initial package are almost same for these 3 offers X

Offer 1: Yield Engineer in a semiconductor company.
Offer 2: Level 3 Engineer in a local bank.(1 year renewable contractor)
Offer 3: Penetration Tester in a cyber security company.

Here is what I've been thinking:
I think yield engineer is about data analytics, so data analytics skill is very sought in Singapore. But with regards to semiconductor industry, well sunset now, annual increment peanuts, high stress etc.
Level 3 Engineer I got to exposed to DevOps, learn a lot of new knowledge such as servers, operating system, maintain a website and so on. But as a contractor in a local bank, pretty much like a second citizen in the bank.
Penetration Tester gives me a foot in cyber security field. which is good. but the company seems don't have a good reputation. And I am not sure about pentester future in Singapore.

Any more thoughts?
Thanks
My #1 experience is to avoid the semicon industry at all cost. It is a sunset industry shrinking in Singapore, every year you hear yet another few companies downsize and move their operations to cheaper places. The margins are so bad that the pay, benefits & bonus is pathetic.

As for the banking job, have you tried other banks? I can understand MAP is very competitive even for a FCH, but taking up a short term contract job seems like swinging right to the other extreme low end.

The cybersecurity I have no knowledge so cannot help. But I agree with the poster above, you should try getting a civil service job, they should be able to pay you much higher for your FCH and NS if you have one. Don't waste time on low pay lousy private sector jobs unless you can find something you like. For your academics even if you go through motion as long as no major cock up can retire with at least a Dy Director which will be more than enough for you and your family to support a upper middle or lower high class lifestyle in Sg.
Old 18-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

With your academics, I think you can apply and be selected for MNCs grad or MA programs. Would you be keen on them or would you prefer to stick to engineering? Something tells me you're more keen to be an engineer.
Old 18-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:
My #1 experience is to avoid the semicon industry at all cost. It is a sunset industry shrinking in Singapore, every year you hear yet another few companies downsize and move their operations to cheaper places. The margins are so bad that the pay, benefits & bonus is pathetic.

As for the banking job, have you tried other banks? I can understand MAP is very competitive even for a FCH, but taking up a short term contract job seems like swinging right to the other extreme low end.

The cybersecurity I have no knowledge so cannot help. But I agree with the poster above, you should try getting a civil service job, they should be able to pay you much higher for your FCH and NS if you have one. Don't waste time on low pay lousy private sector jobs unless you can find something you like. For your academics even if you go through motion as long as no major cock up can retire with at least a Dy Director which will be more than enough for you and your family to support a upper middle or lower high class lifestyle in Sg.
Thank you for your answer.

Seems semiconductor is really some.place I need to avoid. A lot of my friends also dun even attend interviews when hr approached them.
I tried for MAP in foreogn banks but got rejected either due to technical.skills or due to behaviour performance. Guess I may not be good enough to shine with other top tier fresh grads. I finally received an offer in GA program from DBS but they rescinded after cutting hiring headcount.

Now I think civil service is really somewhere I should go into. Actually my friend study Cvil Eng is gping to LTA. Not sure about his pay but I heard quite well and of course relaxed

Last question: How can get an interview in civil service? I got no feedback after applying...
Finally, haha I never dream I can be some sr director in the future. Hope so!

Thank you.
Old 18-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
With your academics, I think you can apply and be selected for MNCs grad or MA programs. Would you be keen on them or would you prefer to stick to engineering? Something tells me you're more keen to be an engineer.
hi

yup, I applied for almost all foreign banks MAP last semester but didn't get any of them. gee....
MAP definitely high pay, good career and glories title and I dun want be engineer. But I have no choice... sad...