Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Which job offer should I choose? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/7119-job-offer-should-i-choose.html)

tchen003 17-04-2016 06:54 PM

Which job offer should I choose?

So I am a fresh graduate (1st Class Honors) from local university.
Here are the 3 job offers I receive.

As a fresh grad, I hope you can evaluate these job offers based on the following 2 conditions:
1) The future prospect of the industry
2) Can I learn a lot during the first 3 years of my career.

Money wise, let me tell you: the initial package are almost same for these 3 offers X:D

Offer 1: Yield Engineer in a semiconductor company.
Offer 2: Level 3 Engineer in a local bank.(1 year renewable contractor)
Offer 3: Penetration Tester in a cyber security company.

Here is what I've been thinking:
I think yield engineer is about data analytics, so data analytics skill is very sought in Singapore. But with regards to semiconductor industry, well sunset now, annual increment peanuts, high stress etc.
Level 3 Engineer I got to exposed to DevOps, learn a lot of new knowledge such as servers, operating system, maintain a website and so on. But as a contractor in a local bank, pretty much like a second citizen in the bank.
Penetration Tester gives me a foot in cyber security field. which is good. but the company seems don't have a good reputation. And I am not sure about pentester future in Singapore.

Any more thoughts?
Thanks

Unregistered 17-04-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchen003 (Post 83822)
So I am a fresh graduate (1st Class Honors) from local university.
Here are the 3 job offers I receive.

As a fresh grad, I hope you can evaluate these job offers based on the following 2 conditions:
1) The future prospect of the industry
2) Can I learn a lot during the first 3 years of my career.

Money wise, let me tell you: the initial package are almost same for these 3 offers X:D

Offer 1: Yield Engineer in a semiconductor company.
Offer 2: Level 3 Engineer in a local bank.(1 year renewable contractor)
Offer 3: Penetration Tester in a cyber security company.

Here is what I've been thinking:
I think yield engineer is about data analytics, so data analytics skill is very sought in Singapore. But with regards to semiconductor industry, well sunset now, annual increment peanuts, high stress etc.
Level 3 Engineer I got to exposed to DevOps, learn a lot of new knowledge such as servers, operating system, maintain a website and so on. But as a contractor in a local bank, pretty much like a second citizen in the bank.
Penetration Tester gives me a foot in cyber security field. which is good. but the company seems don't have a good reputation. And I am not sure about pentester future in Singapore.

Any more thoughts?
Thanks

FCH can get many good offers one. TBH all 3 offers like not very good leh. Semicon is a lousy industry, local bank contractor also not impressive... If you insist I choose then go with #3. But try to get something better first lah.

Unregistered 17-04-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83836)
FCH can get many good offers one. TBH all 3 offers like not very good leh. Semicon is a lousy industry, local bank contractor also not impressive... If you insist I choose then go with #3. But try to get something better first lah.

Thank you for your reply.

May I know what FCH and TBH means?
Besides, mind sharing can a yield engineer transmit into data analyst in the future?

stutter 17-04-2016 09:48 PM

FCH = First class honours
TBH = to be honest

Unregistered 17-04-2016 10:09 PM

Hi

in the previous thread, you mentioned that you were verbally offered for DBA GA program. I suppose the offer got rescinded? If so, sorry about that.

May i ask if the cybersecurity company is a global MNC? If so, go for the third. It will boost your resume, and it can land you jobs in govt agencies/ banks/ MNCs easily if you ever want to jump ship. Think of long term and do what you like, and the money and prospects will come eventually.

Also, you mind sharing the pay for your offers?

Unregistered 17-04-2016 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83840)
Hi

in the previous thread, you mentioned that you were verbally offered for DBA GA program. I suppose the offer got rescinded? If so, sorry about that.

May i ask if the cybersecurity company is a global MNC? If so, go for the third. It will boost your resume, and it can land you jobs in govt agencies/ banks/ MNCs easily if you ever want to jump ship. Think of long term and do what you like, and the money and prospects will come eventually.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I find some new jobs. Life is still good.
But the company is not MNC but it specialize in cyber security. I find very rare companies hire fresh grad for cyber security.
Salary wise around 3.3k, some with bonus, some without so total package roughly same.

Also may I know that be a pentester is sought in Singapore in the future?
My interests are in cyber security that's why I apply for it.

Hope you can share with me more about this area. Thanks

Unregistered 17-04-2016 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutter (Post 83839)
FCH = First class honours
TBH = to be honest

Thank you.

that's true offers may not be the best. but this year's economy is not so good...
Around 50% of my friends don't even have offer yet....

noobieguy 17-04-2016 11:30 PM

i assume TS is from comp sci?

with FCH, u can apply for gov sector alr.. stable and high pay.

Unregistered 17-04-2016 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83840)
Hi

And I forgot to mention, that semiconductor is a US MNC company. Being a yield engineer there will boost my resume or not?

Hope you can help me.
Thanks

Unregistered 17-04-2016 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobieguy (Post 83850)
i assume TS is from comp sci?

with FCH, u can apply for gov sector alr.. stable and high pay.

No, i am from EE, but yup I know some Java and have some projects in coding.

I apply for gov alr, but not even a single interview arrangement.

So based on previous post, these 3 offers not good leh...do I need to reject all of them and keep on searching? thx