Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

DBS Graduate Associate Program

Old 29-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Signing bonus is a fallacy. At least I didn't hear anyone from my batch got it.

Most Ops GAs (me) leave Ops within the first 2 years.. moving into mid/front office.
Most IT GAs are really passionate about what they do so they stayed in IT.
SME/Retail GAs are doing generally doing sales and are constantly motivated by awards.

We are promoted every year.. Senior Associate at the end of 3rd year.
Increment at least once a year (this varies.. I get about 7% pa)

Pro:
-prestige and faster promotion
-higher starting pay (3.8k) than average fresh grads
-easier to enter than foreign banks and other MAPs
-internal mobile after 2 years

Con:
-we are second-class MAs..
-salary is considered on the low-side
-DBS GA aren't recognized outside... maybe only by OCBC? I been looking out for quite a while but no luck

Sometimes, I feel we are cheap and good labor, brainwashed to believe we are future leaders and hence ignore the low salary. My 5 cents.
Firstly, fallacy, i don't think it means what you think it means.

Secondly, you said in your pro it has higher starting pay, but the con is the salary is on the low side. So which is it?

Recognition is earned through your work and portfolio, not whether based on the fact that you are a "GA" or "MA".

Old 29-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The poster seems like a nice chap so I feel kinda bad saying what I'm going to say. But don't care, I still have to say my piece because there are quite a few fallacies in the quoted post.

1. No, there isn't confirmed promotion every year, and you are not guaranteed to rise to Senior Assoc by the end of your third year. You have to perform well to be promoted, that's that. The only round of promotion that is guaranteed for the GAs (and MAs) is from Analyst to Assoc at the end of second year.

2. If you are able to see the fact that GAP is much easier to get in than MAP or other foreign banks, then I think there isn't much to complain about the 3.8k starting pay. Because for a job that "is easier to enter", 3.8k is a pretty darn decent starting pay.

3. Once again, if you are able to see the fact that GAP is considerably easy to get, then there shouldn't be any qualms with being treated as "second class MAs" (MAP is indeed much more difficult to get in) or the fact that GAs are "not recognized outside".

Lastly, just want to state that DBS GAP is quite a good avenue for those who are interested to get a relatively good starting position in the banking industry. Furthermore, DBS is a pretty decent bank to start a career at, I don't think anyone can reasonably deny that.

Your points are all correct, but i disagree that the GAP is a good avenue for this interested in banking. GAP program at this stage still lacks direction and a lot of dept are taking in headcount because it is part of their KPI and have no idea what to do with their GA. You might have higher starting pay, but you are definitely overpaid for what you are doing.

DBS is a bank that is good for stability, not for progression. it really depends on what you want and value, so it might not be the best bank to start your career at if you are really ambitious in life.

Old 29-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Your points are all correct, but i disagree that the GAP is a good avenue for this interested in banking. GAP program at this stage still lacks direction and a lot of dept are taking in headcount because it is part of their KPI and have no idea what to do with their GA. You might have higher starting pay, but you are definitely overpaid for what you are doing.

DBS is a bank that is good for stability, not for progression. it really depends on what you want and value, so it might not be the best bank to start your career at if you are really ambitious in life.
Yes, I do agree with you that DBS is a bank that is good go stability, not for progression, and that GAP as of now is still somewhat directionless.

But let's face it, a graduate who is eyeing entry into GAP is most likely not good enough for the bulge brackets (or even MAP in DBS). So, if we take away the options of foreign banks and MAP, then I reckon GAP in DBS is probably one of the most legit options. This is especially so, taking into account the relatively higher starting pay + strong internal mobility in DBS.

Old 29-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

What about this compared to OCBC's young banker programme? Would like to find out more from you guys
Old 29-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What about this compared to OCBC's young banker programme? Would like to find out more from you guys
I am an outsider to this but I have just heard a ton of really bad things about OCBC so I won't recommend it.
Old 30-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, I do agree with you that DBS is a bank that is good go stability, not for progression, and that GAP as of now is still somewhat directionless.

But let's face it, a graduate who is eyeing entry into GAP is most likely not good enough for the bulge brackets (or even MAP in DBS). So, if we take away the options of foreign banks and MAP, then I reckon GAP in DBS is probably one of the most legit options. This is especially so, taking into account the relatively higher starting pay + strong internal mobility in DBS.

But a good starting pay is not the most important thing. Getting into a line of work you want is the most important. If you are directionless after graduating and do not know where to go from there, then yes do go for graduate programs to explore. however if you have a direction, do not get lured in by the higher pay of the GA program. The weakness of the program is due to the lack of direction, the role available are generally terrible. And most of the time you do not have a choice on where to go.

Do you have high pay? sure. But you are overpaid for what you are doing. You'll be stuck here for quite awhile since you will not be willing to take a pay cut.

Strong internal mobility? Debatable. I agree the 2+2 helps, but one thing to note is that the manger must still want you. If you are moving to front office, then you need to have either A, relevant exp, B, ops exp related to the front office or C, take a fresh graduate role. A is out for sure so your only choice is B or C.

B is luck based, depending on the role you got during the program. C is a waste of everyone's time because you will just be a highly paid associate doing a low level work.

For GAs that has graduated, internal mobility as a reason for leaving makes up less than 20%, so please do not come in thinking this the exit.

Old 30-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

GAP is just another name for exec hire. A lot of co now are doing that, all sorts of fancy "programs" for entry level recruitment.
Old 30-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
GAP is just another name for exec hire. A lot of co now are doing that, all sorts of fancy "programs" for entry level recruitment.
I love how a relatively rigorous and insightful debate (conducted over the past couple of messages) just got brought back to the 'meh' level by a generic statement...
Old 30-04-2016, 01:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I love how a relatively rigorous and insightful debate (conducted over the past couple of messages) just got brought back to the 'meh' level by a generic statement...
There's nothing much to go beyond a straight forward mass recruitment exercise that is simply repackaged with a marketable cliche by the PR folks. Typing torrents of esoteric paragraphs to and fro doesn't make the chity chaty any more rigorous or insightful.
Old 30-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Unregistered

On average, how many months of bonus per year for GAP?