Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - DBS Graduate Associate Program
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, I do agree with you that DBS is a bank that is good go stability, not for progression, and that GAP as of now is still somewhat directionless.

But let's face it, a graduate who is eyeing entry into GAP is most likely not good enough for the bulge brackets (or even MAP in DBS). So, if we take away the options of foreign banks and MAP, then I reckon GAP in DBS is probably one of the most legit options. This is especially so, taking into account the relatively higher starting pay + strong internal mobility in DBS.

But a good starting pay is not the most important thing. Getting into a line of work you want is the most important. If you are directionless after graduating and do not know where to go from there, then yes do go for graduate programs to explore. however if you have a direction, do not get lured in by the higher pay of the GA program. The weakness of the program is due to the lack of direction, the role available are generally terrible. And most of the time you do not have a choice on where to go.

Do you have high pay? sure. But you are overpaid for what you are doing. You'll be stuck here for quite awhile since you will not be willing to take a pay cut.

Strong internal mobility? Debatable. I agree the 2+2 helps, but one thing to note is that the manger must still want you. If you are moving to front office, then you need to have either A, relevant exp, B, ops exp related to the front office or C, take a fresh graduate role. A is out for sure so your only choice is B or C.

B is luck based, depending on the role you got during the program. C is a waste of everyone's time because you will just be a highly paid associate doing a low level work.

For GAs that has graduated, internal mobility as a reason for leaving makes up less than 20%, so please do not come in thinking this the exit.