Shell Graduate program - Page 8 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Shell Graduate program

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #71 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2016, 12:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Work on contract with them before, very slow moving & political place - whole day meeting talk rot or gossip by the corner which they like to claim 'internal networking'. The good ones who do real work get ostracize by the long serving staff & dont stay long.
hi bro or sis, were you at metropolis? i can 100% vouch for what you just said.
slow moving, a lot of wayang, a lot of pretending to do work.
the politics is like you walk in there and you feel that something is not right, something sucking the breath out of you.
the gossip was intense too. especially the women.
long serving staffs are like kings. they often like to throw rank.

Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2016, 01:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

A lot of affirmative action and pro women sentiment from what I heard.. Anyone care to verify?

My friend said she won't be sacked first because she is Asian female and they eat up the diversity crap.

Reply With Quote
  #73 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi bro or sis, were you at metropolis? i can 100% vouch for what you just said.
slow moving, a lot of wayang, a lot of pretending to do work.
the politics is like you walk in there and you feel that something is not right, something sucking the breath out of you.
the gossip was intense too. especially the women.
long serving staffs are like kings. they often like to throw rank.
Hey there, you also from Metro? My contract was during transition - spent 1/3 in Shell House and 2/3 at Metro.

They were overdoing the let's be nice and act positive while intense backstabbing and politics behind the scene. Personally dun mind them gossiping and throw rank since I wont stay long, but cant stand their all talk & no action culture.

Everytime I need to do something real, everyone just play politics push blame/responsibility and ask me to talk to more people for 'consultation'. Nothing ever happens, people just talk & talk about strategy, vision, policy, safety etc and you are told to set up more meetings again.

Worse is they have a rotation policy perm staff need to switch job every few years. My boss was due to move and everyday she do nothing & just go around networking and play politics in order to get a new posting. On the final month another guy gets rotated to be my boss and same wayang pull rank attitude as well.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A lot of affirmative action and pro women sentiment from what I heard.. Anyone care to verify?

My friend said she won't be sacked first because she is Asian female and they eat up the diversity crap.
I think so, during my time they have a company policy each department must hire female at least 33% for technical and 50% for support openings.
Reply With Quote
  #75 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey there, you also from Metro? My contract was during transition - spent 1/3 in Shell House and 2/3 at Metro.

They were overdoing the let's be nice and act positive while intense backstabbing and politics behind the scene. Personally dun mind them gossiping and throw rank since I wont stay long, but cant stand their all talk & no action culture.

Everytime I need to do something real, everyone just play politics push blame/responsibility and ask me to talk to more people for 'consultation'. Nothing ever happens, people just talk & talk about strategy, vision, policy, safety etc and you are told to set up more meetings again.

Worse is they have a rotation policy perm staff need to switch job every few years. My boss was due to move and everyday she do nothing & just go around networking and play politics in order to get a new posting. On the final month another guy gets rotated to be my boss and same wayang pull rank attitude as well.
Yep, metro.
sometimes the nicest people are the most likely to stab you from behind gao lat gao lat.
all talk no action, they are a very reactive culture. when **** gets real then something is done. from my experience. otherwise just instructions, nothing ever happens.
boss is super pull rank, i have never seen him done any work. his computer is always on the wallpaper and he just stare down at his iPhone 6 plus all day long.
Reply With Quote
  #76 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yep, metro.
sometimes the nicest people are the most likely to stab you from behind gao lat gao lat.
all talk no action, they are a very reactive culture. when **** gets real then something is done. from my experience. otherwise just instructions, nothing ever happens.
boss is super pull rank, i have never seen him done any work. his computer is always on the wallpaper and he just stare down at his iPhone 6 plus all day long.
Thats my experience as well - nothing gets done until fire burn to the ground or senior level VP send nasty email. Then you see all the last minute action and blame pushing.
Reply With Quote

  #77 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

wah.. so jialat ah? all the time i've been hearing about how good shell is etc from other people.. their site info also so up to date, values are legit etc.. but after reading this thread, my perspective totally change sia. haha
Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I also kena bluffed by them.

When I told my parents about interviewing at Shell, they were like "wah, top company lei!". I then went in and experienced it for myself.

I am not sure if you're interviewing with them but these people are BS -- you pass their AC, they also have no job for you. Their HR is also one of the most messed up one, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #79 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
wah.. so jialat ah? all the time i've been hearing about how good shell is etc from other people.. their site info also so up to date, values are legit etc.. but after reading this thread, my perspective totally change sia. haha
to be fair to shell - their pay is above average, got work life balance and job security. its just the culture is very wayang and political, so if ur the kind who like to think out of the box and creative problem solver type all the long timers will gang up and ostracize u politically. otoh if ur the kind just want to leapk ur way till retirement civil service style they are not bad also.
Reply With Quote
  #80 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

if you like to wayang, then join shell. super wayang. talk a lot but no meaning. the women there super gossipers. because the culture is like civil service. the gossip is doubled up.

if you join a proper firm like that giant paint coatings company, they only need you to do work. if you do your work, no one will bother you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capitaland Graduate Development Program? Upper Frantly Income and Jobs 30 05-07-2023 01:37 PM
Aiming to get into an MBA program SGWorker Education and Personal Growth 20 21-06-2019 01:07 PM
Dive Management Associate Program Rickykoh Marketplace and Find Work 0 20-01-2013 01:30 PM
Interview at shell Gaga8255 Income and Jobs 5 15-11-2012 02:01 AM
Shell Interview mankee Income and Jobs 2 09-11-2011 02:13 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,685 Replies, 2,394,240 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,116 Replies, 5,113,150 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,043 Replies, 1,089,351 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,164 Replies, 3,808,005 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
750 Replies, 416,275 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,827 Replies, 1,449,144 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,161 Replies, 10,476,812 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,829 Replies, 2,308,943 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,508 Replies, 1,404,105 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,903 Replies, 4,732,637 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,285 Replies, 639,939 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,353 Replies, 3,466,827 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 78,168 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,208 Replies, 6,851,785 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 502,621 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,350 Replies, 1,167,985 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,441 Replies, 12,606,551 Views
Julius Baer Graduate Program 2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 17,014 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,768 Replies, 1,519,614 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,811 Replies, 1,580,429 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,489 Replies, 807,074 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 20,250 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 390,508 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 328,418 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 83,296 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 452,661 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 393,685 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,712 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
722 Replies, 555,371 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 139,323 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2