Shell Graduate program - Page 6 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Shell Graduate program

Old 04-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Why youngster with proper qualification at your age (29) want to join union?

Although union is less stressful and has better job security, it is also very hard to promote. On average it takes 5-6 years for each promotion and not to mention the career ceiling is quite low.

Old 17-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Verified Member

paganihulk is on a distinguished road

Anyone been through Shell's assessment centre? Care to share your experience? Thanks!

Old 17-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganihulk View Post
Anyone been through Shell's assessment centre? Care to share your experience? Thanks!
Are you going for it? One of the toughest ACs around, so due preparation is necessary. Having said that however, just be your self, a more prepared self that is.

This information may be outdated(~2 years), but unlikely as the segments in a Shell AC is quite standard, and would likely not change.

1. E-Tray Assessment
You would be placed in a scenario, involving a Shell Project in a fictitious region. Before the assessment begins proper, you would be given some time to read information regarding the project itself.

Following which, you would be given 30 minutes to respond to 12 emails using their E-Tray software on a laptop. You respond to the email via MCQs. Some emails only arrive after certain emails are answered. As such, speed, accuracy, and the ability to find information fast is necessary.

After 30 minutes, you would be given a blank page, and 20 minutes to craft an email to answer a question. Similar to above, the ability to distill main points and present information is imperative. Point form is sufficient.

2. Group Case
Similar to all other ACs, you would be placed in a Group Setting (6 people typically) and undergo a Case Scenario together as a group. Just remember to speak up, and with valid points at that. The ability to build on someone's else points is quite critical. Oh, and remember not to put down anyone.

3. Self-Reflection Interview
A rather unique segment. Basically as the title implies, they would ask you questions pertaining to the E-tray as well as the Group Case i.e What did you do well? What did you not do so well? If you have some lull time between segments, try to undergo self-reflection so as to prepare for this segment.

4. Individual Case
Probably the hardest segment. It's either you have what it takes, or you spend 30 minutes trying to ******** your way through. You are first given 20 minutes to read a case, following which you would have 5 minutes to present your solution to the interviewers. After that is a 25 minutes Q&A. The key focus for this segment is not your solution, but how you arrived at it. As such, the interviewers would deep-dive into the particular solution you presented, so as to understand your reasoning and train of thought.

5. Individual Competency Interview
Nothing too fancy, similar to the first-round interview. The last and probably the easiest stage.

Shell AC is a very draining day, but the feedback they give is quite detailed as well. Treat it as a learning opportunity. You aren't competing against the other candidates, but against a standard. Have a good night rest and just go as prepared as you can. Goodluck!

Old 17-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganihulk View Post
Standard case study, presentation, role pay just like any other AC. But the HR from Shell has a very nasty habit of getting a lot of people down for AC even when they only have few or no openings.

End result you will get a call from HR congratulating you for passing the AC then drop you a bombshell say but sorry we don't have anything for you at the moment, so your CV will be KIV and we will call you if got something in the future.

My course mate and my own interaction with their HR last year was a nightmare.
Old 18-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

End result you will get a call from HR congratulating you for passing the AC then drop you a bombshell say but sorry we don't have anything for you at the moment, so your CV will be KIV and we will call you if got something in the future.

My course mate and my own interaction with their HR last year was a nightmare.
Yes agreed on this bit. I have also been through the same. Their salary offer is also peanuts la but they act as though they are the best blah blah. Btw, one of my friends relative in Shell who has been through the program is only earning close to 150k after 6 years ++, and that was during very good times.

Thankfully, I got a job that pays much more. My advice for the AC is just be prepared to wayang a lot-- they like those who display a positive attitude.
Old 18-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes agreed on this bit. I have also been through the same. Their salary offer is also peanuts la but they act as though they are the best blah blah. Btw, one of my friends relative in Shell who has been through the program is only earning close to 150k after 6 years ++, and that was during very good times.

Thankfully, I got a job that pays much more. My advice for the AC is just be prepared to wayang a lot-- they like those who display a positive attitude.
Haha completely agree with you on this one. My course mate & I experience this first hand last year as well. Their so call positive posing is really ridiculous compared to other ACs.

During break when I was chatting to some of the staff there, I sensed they are a bit deluded pie in the sky type - they seem to genuinely think that they are the best paying company and everyone is just dying to get in. There was this guy who told me he used to be from government and went on and on about how Shell is so much better. I was thinking in my mind you should be comparing to other top MNC, how come keep comparing with government?

During AC, I could tell all the candidates were trying their best to act like CEO/CFO when they don't have a farking clue what they are talking about. I stumbled in the first part because I thought they were like other ACs looking for actual team leadership and how you organize things efficiently.

The subsequent parts I learn from mistake just unleash one bombastic CEO phrase after another, i.e. just try to remember as many academic sounding buzz words you learn during school and next thing I know HR inform me I passed the AC. What a joke!

As for pay I don't know cauz I wasn't offered anything despite passing the AC (wasting my time really), but anther distant acquaintance told me it was 3.3k which if true is really a joke and even below a civil service offer.

Old 18-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Unregistered

Yes the worse thing is even if you pass the AC, you don't even get an offer. Especially when the market is so bleak.

I don't know why they pull stunt like that. For every other AC that I have attended, when I "passed" it, I got an offer.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes the worse thing is even if you pass the AC, you don't even get an offer. Especially when the market is so bleak.

I don't know why they pull stunt like that. For every other AC that I have attended, when I "passed" it, I got an offer.
Bad economy no hiring means nothing to do means high chance hr get the chop. Wayang waste our time at least can show higher ups got things to do.

I attend a campus recruitment roadshow and visit a local booth & ask them what opportunities, the girl tell me no opening and they are there to do 'brand awareness'. I suspect same mentality with Shell.
Old 18-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

i intern at shell bukom before.

the people there like to spend most of the time attend meetings, talk general things then end by setting another meeting to talk the same things again.
Old 19-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

$150k after 6 years seems decent enough.
How does that stack up compared to other MNCs?