Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 23-07-2022, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
When does your letter of appointment state that you would be sent for training?

I feel that it’s best to speak to the principal about it and give him or her very good and compelling reasons why you want to go for training asap. Your supervisor is likely to recommend that you stay in school for at least 1 year in the name of giving you exposure and school experience.
Take the 1 year and learn and see if this is really what you want to do.

Old 23-07-2022, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
When does your letter of appointment state that you would be sent for training?

I feel that it’s best to speak to the principal about it and give him or her very good and compelling reasons why you want to go for training asap. Your supervisor is likely to recommend that you stay in school for at least 1 year in the name of giving you exposure and school experience.
My letter of appointment states that I will be doing contract teaching for minimally 6 months iirc so the earliest will be late Dec/early Jan. I have just finished my first week in school.

Old 23-07-2022, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Chances of not getting through contract is very low. During this time, you should be able to sufficiently manage a class( Eg students are not fighting in your class, teaching and learning is going on). Showing responsibility as a teacher( Eg marking students work on time, content ams pedagogy can be improved in time to come) . Like earlier posts mentioned, Taking initiative to clarify and ask for help. One basic thing is also role modelling as a teacher, in appropriate attire and choice of language to students.

To be sent to NIE by 6 months, that will mean doing a cut above all the above mentioned. Meaning, the school is very sure that you will be able to do well as a teacher.

Old 24-07-2022, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I am currently in the untrained teaching stint for PGDE. What advice do y’all have with regards to increasing my chances of getting the school’s approval to send me to NIE?
It's very hard to fail the contract teaching stint unless you do something wrong in either exams, money or professionalism issues.
Old 24-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Unregistered

Where do I check salary and performance grading? Also, when should I make the PSD card?
Old 25-07-2022, 10:23 PM
Angsty cat woman

Lightbulb Untrained teaching stint

Quote:
Hi, I am currently in the untrained teaching stint for PGDE. What advice do y’all have with regards to increasing my chances of getting the school’s approval to send me to NIE?
It really depends on the school that you are posted to and the HOD whom you are working for. Generally, you need to show good attitude and willingness to work and contribute. By the end of the stint, you need to exhibit some skills in teaching and learning, depending on the school's direction. All these points have been mentioned in previous posts.

What I would like to add on is to open your eyes to the things that your school is doing. Does it go against logic? Does this job make you stressed out for no good reason? Does your HOD appreciate your willingness to work? Does your CT guide you properly?

If you do not like the experience in your school, it is very important to ask yourself what is it that you dislike. The management? Or what the job entails? It will be good to make friends in your ITP class, so that you can make comparisons. Because what your experience may not be representative of what other schools are doing.

Instead of thinking of how to increase your chances of getting into NIE, I feel that you should take this opportunity to think whether this is for you. Once you sign the bond, it will be a painful 3++ years for you.

(From someone who finished her untrained stint in 6 months. Contract school was great but currently suffering in her first posting - a different school. )

Old 27-07-2022, 09:46 PM
Unregistered

Anyone knows what will happen if a teacher gets D grade? Will it affect the promotion? Heard that promotion is banned for 3 years at least and there will not be any pay increment for 3 years. Is it better to quit? Is it possible to apply closed posting with a D grade? I did not try open posting because I am afraid they will ask about my D grade. Will the new school I am applying knows that I got D grade in the previous school?

From a trouble teacher GEO3 who has just finished 3 years as BT and is suffering in a school now. Thinking of quitting everyday.
Old 27-07-2022, 10:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone knows what will happen if a teacher gets D grade? Will it affect the promotion? Heard that promotion is banned for 3 years at least and there will not be any pay increment for 3 years. Is it better to quit? Is it possible to apply closed posting with a D grade? I did not try open posting because I am afraid they will ask about my D grade. Will the new school I am applying knows that I got D grade in the previous school?

From a trouble teacher GEO3 who has just finished 3 years as BT and is suffering in a school now. Thinking of quitting everyday.
Yes the school which you applied to will know because they have access to your CV in the HR portal. I have heard of cases where things gotten into a bad state and the P auto transfer the teacher to another school (request of the affected teacher) without the teacher applying anything.
Old 27-07-2022, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

today my teacher help me eat bird bird. will tell my principal tml to give her a pay rise and big bonus!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 27-07-2022, 11:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Actually, what did you do to get D? It’s actually very difficult for GEO3 to get D because the expectations aren’t exactly high.