Engineer graduating soon - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Engineer graduating soon

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
starchild is on a distinguished road
Default Engineer graduating soon

Hi all,

I'm an undergrad studying EEE at NTU. I will be graduating soon, probably with a gpa of about 2.95 (yes, I tried my best to get 3rd Class Honours but wasn't successful).

My original plan was to work for 2-3 years in an Engineering firm, then do MBA and then go into Banking, as I don't think I would want to stay in Engineering. But now, seeing as I will not be getting Honours, doing MBA will be difficult.

For now, I'd like to take things step-by-step. I am quite clueless about the job market. I just feel that since my GPA is quite poor, I will probably have to make do with a low-paying engineering job for now. Please correct me if I am mistaken in thinking that way.

I'm a newbie at this so please bear with me, but I need your advice on what I should do, and what jobs should I look for, and what kind of starting pay I should expect. Please do note that I am a PR (been in Singapore for almost 12 years) and I wish to get SG citizenship ASAP (I can't apply now as I have to be working in Singapore to be even eligible for citizenship). Therefore, it's important for me that I find a job ASAP so that I can apply for my citizenship.

Please help me out and advise on what kind of jobs I should apply for, and if I should apply in the Government sector or the private sector. Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Big Boss
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Are you interested in butler position? Send your resume to [email protected].
Starting pay will be good. I promise ...

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
Hi all,

I'm an undergrad studying EEE at NTU. I will be graduating soon, probably with a gpa of about 2.95 (yes, I tried my best to get 3rd Class Honours but wasn't successful).

My original plan was to work for 2-3 years in an Engineering firm, then do MBA and then go into Banking, as I don't think I would want to stay in Engineering. But now, seeing as I will not be getting Honours, doing MBA will be difficult.

For now, I'd like to take things step-by-step. I am quite clueless about the job market. I just feel that since my GPA is quite poor, I will probably have to make do with a low-paying engineering job for now. Please correct me if I am mistaken in thinking that way.

I'm a newbie at this so please bear with me, but I need your advice on what I should do, and what jobs should I look for, and what kind of starting pay I should expect. Please do note that I am a PR (been in Singapore for almost 12 years) and I wish to get SG citizenship ASAP (I can't apply now as I have to be working in Singapore to be even eligible for citizenship). Therefore, it's important for me that I find a job ASAP so that I can apply for my citizenship.

Please help me out and advise on what kind of jobs I should apply for, and if I should apply in the Government sector or the private sector. Thanks!
Please answer this question.

Have you serve NS or national service?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Do engineering sales.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
starchild is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Please answer this question.

Have you serve NS or national service?
Nope, I haven't. I called them up and they said I don't need to do NS.

Last edited by starchild; 29-05-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 30-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fellow engineerring grad

hey man...
to tell the truth, i got just 'PASS' grade upon graduation too (2.00- 2.99).

However, i've secured a job with top-tier investment bank's IT department, whose salary
offered was above the Graduate Employment Survey 75th percentile...

They MAY have looked at my grades, however, I passed their numerical & psychometric
tests, and were given a chance at interviews (4 rounds at that).

SO, all i'm saying is: don't close your doors. Apply for whichever job you would WANT
to work at and work with.

Cheers!

PS: I've been in SG for more than 10 years and I've NOT even bothered to apply for PR.
This country has got too many narrow-minded asses, so I will be here ONLY until Tuition
Grant bond ends in 3 years. Sayonara, Singapura.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
PS: I've been in SG for more than 10 years and I've NOT even bothered to apply for PR.
This country has got too many narrow-minded asses, so I will be here ONLY until Tuition
Grant bond ends in 3 years. Sayonara, Singapura.
Yup narrow-minded asses who provided you a good job in spite of your terrible grades (in a nation supposedly so fixated on grades no less) and yet you couldn't help yourself but bite the hand that feeds you. Never mind you want to leave, that's your prerogative but to in the same stroke tarnish the people who gave you a chance, to elevate your own ego, just reeks of ungratefulness even if you had been privy to a number of incidents that you felt unjustly done by. What? Did someone physically assault you bcz you're not from around here? Killed/raped your relative/friend perhaps? Destroyed your property?

And yet, here I try to convince myself and others that the problem is not the people that we are welcoming into our country, just the policies that need to be called into question. Its loose statements like these that paint foreigners in a bad light, that make it difficult for neutrals to accept others like you. I really hope people take your opinions with a bag of salt. The sooner you leave the better.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
starchild is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hey man...
to tell the truth, i got just 'PASS' grade upon graduation too (2.00- 2.99).

However, i've secured a job with top-tier investment bank's IT department, whose salary
offered was above the Graduate Employment Survey 75th percentile...

They MAY have looked at my grades, however, I passed their numerical & psychometric
tests, and were given a chance at interviews (4 rounds at that).

SO, all i'm saying is: don't close your doors. Apply for whichever job you would WANT
to work at and work with.

Cheers!

PS: I've been in SG for more than 10 years and I've NOT even bothered to apply for PR.
This country has got too many narrow-minded asses, so I will be here ONLY until Tuition
Grant bond ends in 3 years. Sayonara, Singapura.
Hmm may I know what course did you study? My friend got 3rd Class honours but all the banks rejected him without any interviews. Anyway, thanks for your reply!

And...well, every country has a few people who'd despise us foreigners. But, that happens in every country. I am an aussie national and some people really despise the fact that their universities are filled up with asians. I'm extremely happy to be in Singapore and I love this place, so I am pretty sure I would wanna settle down here. And contrary to popular belief, people are actually quite accepting here. Almost all my friends are Singaporeans and they have never let me feel out of place.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 331
lazyplane is on a distinguished road
Default

hi, suggest you get something additional. Either qualifications etc.. or consider moving to non banks but commerical related.

At the present moment, it will be tough call for a bank to hire a fresh eng grad unless u got some connections etc.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 23
financepil is on a distinguished road
Default

I am graduting with a GPA of 2.5 (Mechanical Eng) and looking for a banking job!!!
When I see the no of ppl cosidering banking jobs it's mind freezing !! Cnsider doing some finance stuff such as cfa.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» 30 Recent Threads
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
82 Replies, 18,295 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
250 Replies, 229,614 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
988 Replies, 277,034 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,451 Replies, 2,044,801 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
422 Replies, 276,154 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,719 Replies, 3,162,848 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
121 Replies, 46,646 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
144 Replies, 53,557 Views
Python programmer skillz and pay
3 Replies, 277 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,874 Replies, 6,013,404 Views
What are your struggles having...
0 Replies, 83 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
156 Replies, 39,941 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
485 Replies, 107,419 Views
Banker or Financial Advisor Career...
8 Replies, 1,061 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program...
3 Replies, 3,020 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,944 Replies, 1,803,962 Views
How much do you need to retire... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,330 Views
You Can Buy Happiness
8 Replies, 6,675 Views
I need advice
3 Replies, 424 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
8 Replies, 2,142 Views
Anyone work in AVA Animal Health... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 5,968 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,084 Replies, 3,879,318 Views
How much does a typical FP&A... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 1,810 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 6,306 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,040 Replies, 830,658 Views
Advice for SAF regular pls
8 Replies, 676 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
233 Replies, 144,510 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2