Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer graduating soon
View Single Post
Old 29-05-2011, 07:37 PM

starchild is on a distinguished road
Default Engineer graduating soon

Hi all,

I'm an undergrad studying EEE at NTU. I will be graduating soon, probably with a gpa of about 2.95 (yes, I tried my best to get 3rd Class Honours but wasn't successful).

My original plan was to work for 2-3 years in an Engineering firm, then do MBA and then go into Banking, as I don't think I would want to stay in Engineering. But now, seeing as I will not be getting Honours, doing MBA will be difficult.

For now, I'd like to take things step-by-step. I am quite clueless about the job market. I just feel that since my GPA is quite poor, I will probably have to make do with a low-paying engineering job for now. Please correct me if I am mistaken in thinking that way.

I'm a newbie at this so please bear with me, but I need your advice on what I should do, and what jobs should I look for, and what kind of starting pay I should expect. Please do note that I am a PR (been in Singapore for almost 12 years) and I wish to get SG citizenship ASAP (I can't apply now as I have to be working in Singapore to be even eligible for citizenship). Therefore, it's important for me that I find a job ASAP so that I can apply for my citizenship.

Please help me out and advise on what kind of jobs I should apply for, and if I should apply in the Government sector or the private sector. Thanks!