Hi all I am a mx12 drawing 3.5k is this the norm? I am 26 years old this year
more info pls

Class of honors??
With NS??
Fresh grad?
or with exp?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 AM
Unregistered

u did not provide any background information, how do you expect people to comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all I am a mx12 drawing 3.5k is this the norm? I am 26 years old this year

Old 07-07-2013, 12:46 PM

Acemaong is on a distinguished road

Anyone know whats the starting pay for a local dip holder in iras?
Fresh grad as tax officer electronic interface
Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

Would really like to get your advice on this item. I've been working in a policy position in a stat board, this is my first civil service job and I am still under a probation contract. My ex-boss really liked me and my work, and gave me a chance to go overseas to the states for training and exposure. This resulted in me signing a minimum service period due to a training award.

After my ex-boss left 3 months ago though, I have had limited opportunities to work with her replacement. I was informed on the eve of my first year that the current job portfolio wasn't a good fit for me, and I would need to have my contract extended for another few months before they can consider confirming me as permanent staff.

I was further encouraged to apply for other jobs outside so that I have more options should I chose not to continue working with the statboard. I understand this is a bad sign for my future in the department. I'm not sure what lead to this result, as before my previous boss left I was graded quite well (B grader) in my mid-year assessment.

Regardless, I really want to continue working for civil service and will tough it out in my current department. But, in the case I take the advice of my current boss and secure a new job now, would I be able to return to Civil service with a broken Minimum service period? I heard of teachers breaking their bonds and returning to civil service in a few years.

Please advise if anybody has any experience.
Unusually, when a boss suggest to look for job elsewhere, it means that your contract will not be renewed. You should be allowed, unless due to other circumstances, to stay until the expiry of your contract. However, in this case, you boss could simply be using this as an excuse to not to convert you to a perm. In short, he or she is saying that your previous effort is not recognized and if you want to stay, you have to start all over again with your new boss.

If you have a bond, then you are obligated to complete your bond or you would be deem to have defaulted on your bond. Hence, I would suggest that you continue to work until your bond is discharged prior to making any move.

In this case, my take would be to accept the extension and not "voluntarily" resign. But towards the end, start looking for a new job because it is unlikely you will be given a perm position.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 AM
Constantin

Default Salary for Nparks

Hi people, was just wondering what sort of salary to expect for Nparks (stat board) as a fresh grad. Im 26 y/o male recently graduated from a good overseas university (no.9 in the world for environmental sciences (which is what i studied)) with a First class honors degree. im non-scholar. What salary range am i expecting? will they recognise that i come from a good university and adjust my salary accordingly? and what will the career progression be like (just a rough idea) Thanks in advance =)

p.s. i will totally apply for ministry of env and natural resources but there are no positions open currently

Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
Hi people, was just wondering what sort of salary to expect for Nparks (stat board) as a fresh grad. Im 26 y/o male recently graduated from a good overseas university (no.9 in the world for environmental sciences (which is what i studied)) with a First class honors degree. im non-scholar. What salary range am i expecting? will they recognise that i come from a good university and adjust my salary accordingly? and what will the career progression be like (just a rough idea) Thanks in advance =)

p.s. i will totally apply for ministry of env and natural resources but there are no positions open currently
Have you considered working overseas? Your good degree is probably worth much more in other countries than here in Singapore.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Constantin

Im exploring my options. Singapore is home for me. If i can get a decent salary doing what I like to do (environmental management/science/planning) in Singapore, its likely that i'll come back. but I do agree with your point about the possibility of my degree having more worth overseas since environmental/natural sciences is a very small and niche sector in Singapore. The thing about working overseas is that Visa/PR is troublesome to get and there'll always likely be some form of prejudice to foreigners (im talking about western countries i.e. Australia) and I wanna do my part for singapore as well in a way.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantin View Post

Its good that you have a first class. You could probably bargain for a pay equal to a local first class graduate. But tbh, your uni number 9 in environmental science but if it still isnt Oxbridge, Yale,Harvard that kind, you will not be ranked as such. Or even worse, some organisations will put you even below local grads if your university is not well-known to them. Just a fact la. I believe you went to Queensland? Not looking good Aus universities as they usually give off the perception that you didnt make it to local uni hence have to go there to study instead, which is most probably true for many instances. Except for ANU and Unimelb.

Environmental Science is not very much in demand at all. Have you considered staying in academia? With a first-class, you could probably apply for PhD courses in NUS, which gives you a monthly 2.8k stipend, then you could go on to lecture in university as well. Government doesnt place much emphasis on the environment IMO, hard to find a job out there.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Unregistered

Default some advice needed

I joined the Civil Service a year ago, 26 years old, 2nd upper from local uni. starting to feel abit disillusioned at work as there are many scholars and MAs who are naturally given more exposure and learning opportunities.

To be v frank, I joined my current Ministry b'cos the job market wasn't fantastic (and still isn't acty). Tried for the MA prog but only made it to the roundtable discussion and no further. Currently drawing about $3.6k (with NS) and to be adjusted to $3.9k+ upon confirmation. I know this is a pretty decent salary for a relatively young officer as compared to pte sector. Qns is, I'm starting to think I'm not cut out to be a civil servant, or at least I know this is not what I want to do for life. Don't get me wrong, I want to make a difference and achieve higher public value. Everyone though knows there's a glass ceiling for non-scholars and the work-life balance isn't that great too. I'm willing to clock 10-11 hour work days, but I guess it's important to find that sense of fulfillment and meaning in your work.

I would think i'm at the crossroads now whereby if I continue to stay, I ought to commit and make a lifelong career out of it. Otherwise, I should jump out before I get too mired into this comfort zone. I also believe many young grads may similarly face a mismatch of expectations and aspirations upon entering the workforce - I'm fully cognisant of that and I do calibrate my self-expectations from time to time.

Pretty sure there are many bros out here who have faced this similar predicament before and trodden this path - mind enlightening a fellow young junior, albeit somewhat lost sheep here? Whether you've chosen to stay, or leave, and how it has panned out for you. Understand that no two paths are the same, but I'd still gladly appreciate all advice and inputs