Compare civil service salary - Page 345 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3441 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Don't give up the opportunity to study in NTU/NUS. And since you are pursuing a business program, you should be able to squeeze some time to teach tuition. When I was a undergraduate, I have friends who has 4-5 students. And u can always get some part time jobs during the 2 long holidays. That should tide you over. Never mind about the partys and grad trips. These can wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey guys,

Just want to have some opinion.
I actually got offered NTU Business and will be matriculating after my NS. But due to family financial issues, it's not wise for me to study for another 3 years and the opportunity cost of not able to earn an income to help my family.

So, I'm trying to source for the 2nd best alternatives even though it's a pity & regret to give up NTU offer...
I was actually thinking of joining stat board/ministry as executive or MSO with my
Diploma (business dip, GPA 3.85), while pursuing UniSIM degree as part-time.
And eventually, hoping to jump to MX scheme after getting a degree.

Just want to know, are the chances high of converting to MX after graduating from unisim? If not, is it easy to job hop and reapply to other stat board/ministries with the UniSIM degree?

Appreciates all advice or alternatives from everyone.

TIA!

Reply With Quote
  #3442 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi guys, I was the one who posted about giving up on NBS.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice!
But actually the main concern isn't in the school fee because I can easily take a bank loan. As for bursary and all other financial aids, I won't be really eligible because of family income. Belonged to the middle income, just that family hav debts that caused us to be in financial difficulties.
Moreover, my dad isn't in good health and there are concerns on what happen if my dad couldn't work at his current job anymore, which requires a healthy body. It's too big of a risk!

And I'm aware that the pay for dip and degree is very very different! But not that I'll stop with a dip, because I'll definitely be taking part time degree (UniSIM) and try to move on to MX scheme in the civil service

Reply With Quote
  #3443 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, I was the one who posted about giving up on NBS.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice!
But actually the main concern isn't in the school fee because I can easily take a bank loan. As for bursary and all other financial aids, I won't be really eligible because of family income. Belonged to the middle income, just that family hav debts that caused us to be in financial difficulties.
Moreover, my dad isn't in good health and there are concerns on what happen if my dad couldn't work at his current job anymore, which requires a healthy body. It's too big of a risk!

And I'm aware that the pay for dip and degree is very very different! But not that I'll stop with a dip, because I'll definitely be taking part time degree (UniSIM) and try to move on to MX scheme in the civil service
i still hope that u can go for local uni... not all degrees are equal.. especially in the public sector.

Reply With Quote
  #3444 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, I was the one who posted about giving up on NBS.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice!
But actually the main concern isn't in the school fee because I can easily take a bank loan. As for bursary and all other financial aids, I won't be really eligible because of family income. Belonged to the middle income, just that family hav debts that caused us to be in financial difficulties.
Moreover, my dad isn't in good health and there are concerns on what happen if my dad couldn't work at his current job anymore, which requires a healthy body. It's too big of a risk!

And I'm aware that the pay for dip and degree is very very different! But not that I'll stop with a dip, because I'll definitely be taking part time degree (UniSIM) and try to move on to MX scheme in the civil service
please just do the fulltime degree at ntu. and study v hard.
Reply With Quote
  #3445 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2014, 01:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, I was the one who posted about giving up on NBS.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice!
But actually the main concern isn't in the school fee because I can easily take a bank loan. As for bursary and all other financial aids, I won't be really eligible because of family income. Belonged to the middle income, just that family hav debts that caused us to be in financial difficulties.
Moreover, my dad isn't in good health and there are concerns on what happen if my dad couldn't work at his current job anymore, which requires a healthy body. It's too big of a risk!

And I'm aware that the pay for dip and degree is very very different! But not that I'll stop with a dip, because I'll definitely be taking part time degree (UniSIM) and try to move on to MX scheme in the civil service
It is actually proven, that statistically, poorer people make poorer decisions. Its not their fault most of the time, but they just seem to choose short-term rewards over long-term rewards, although long-term rewards will obviously reap the most benefit.

So my advice? DON'T fall into that trap. I can see your future right now. You say you will study and work. But in the end, your studies will suffer , you will take like 6 years to grad from unisim. Your excuse? Oh, I had to work, I had to support my family, my dad, our debts. In the end, after a few years down the road. You will still be stuck with the same diploma job. You will still be without a degree. You will still be in debt. But here you have, a lifeline. TAKE IT, STUPID. I know the rest are just being nice, saying all these things. BUT TRUST ME, GO TO NTU, DONT BE STUPID. 3 years you study in NTU, trust me, within the next 2 year after grad, you would have hit 5k/mth. What more coming from NBS, this is like a definite thing. Within 4 years of graduating, you would have paid off your school fees, paid off whatever debts your family had as well. Your shitty diploma job will never bring you more than 3k/mth. Thats a fact, get it in your head. Within 6-7 years of graduating from NTU, you would probably be peaking at 10k/mth. Trust me, this is NBS, its like a normal thing.

You working now, will do nothing to alleviate your family's burgeoning debts. If you really need financial help, don't be shy and ashamed to go to Meet-the-people session and ask your MP for help. Trust me, financial help is the one easiest thing they like to do. Its like buying votes for themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #3446 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, I was the one who posted about giving up on NBS.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice!
But actually the main concern isn't in the school fee because I can easily take a bank loan. As for bursary and all other financial aids, I won't be really eligible because of family income. Belonged to the middle income, just that family hav debts that caused us to be in financial difficulties.
Moreover, my dad isn't in good health and there are concerns on what happen if my dad couldn't work at his current job anymore, which requires a healthy body. It's too big of a risk!

And I'm aware that the pay for dip and degree is very very different! But not that I'll stop with a dip, because I'll definitely be taking part time degree (UniSIM) and try to move on to MX scheme in the civil service
How much income do you need to tide over? Earning $1k+ while studying full time is def possible. Tuition is one easy method. Personally, i worked part-time during my off days (including days ponning lectures) and sat. And chiong full time during hols. Ard 20h/wk during sch days. At a measly $6/h, and income from my small online biz, on avg i earn ard $1k/mth. U can def do it too, just need to sarcrifice quite a bit of ur personal and rest time. I didnt do well for my degree but in the end still worth it i guess.

The fact is local unis > priv degrees (including unisim). This fact will not change, at least in the next twenty years. By giving up ur place in NTU, u will def lose out alot. Unless u alr have a game plan and u're cock sure of ur ability to succeed without the help of a degree, do give it some serious thoughts.

Nonetheless, once u made ur choice, dont EVER look back with regrets. That is pathetic and will get u nowhere. Focus on the path u chosen and push on!
Reply With Quote

  #3447 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If u cant do well in degree ( local or even unisim ), i reckon u take part time unisim instead, that is you wanted to join civil sector as they will see your school result that i can ensure you.

My GPA is 3.5+ at ngee ann poly and now working at MSO and starting school at UniSim part-time this july.

I also have financial problem when i at poly that time, now is so much better to have full income.

Don't just degree driven, working experience is impt too.
Reply With Quote
  #3448 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Oh come on, even if u enter NTU or NUS and did average or just want to pass only, i rather you go find work outside and gain some experience and study part time.
Reply With Quote
  #3449 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
cslee is on a distinguished road
Default

I've a friend who joined MX specialist scheme mid-career. His basic pay is like

Age 35 start - $4.8K
36 - $5.1K
37 - $5.7K
38 - $6.1K
39 - $6.6K
40 - $7.1K

In addition, I heard he's like getting 4.25 - 4.75 months of all-in bonuses each year. Consistent C+ and B performer.

How is he progressing compared to those who joined since fresh grad? What would be his expected CEP e.g. got chance to reach superscale grade?
Reply With Quote
  #3450 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
I've a friend who joined MX specialist scheme mid-career. His basic pay is like

Age 35 start - $4.8K
36 - $5.1K
37 - $5.7K
38 - $6.1K
39 - $6.6K
40 - $7.1K

In addition, I heard he's like getting 4.25 - 4.75 months of all-in bonuses each year. Consistent C+ and B performer.

How is he progressing compared to those who joined since fresh grad? What would be his expected CEP e.g. got chance to reach superscale grade?
Those who joined as fresh grad would have hit 5k at the age of about 30.

Not scholar. Not exceptional performer. No chance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 11,858 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 2,497 Views
Career at Keppel
3 Replies, 154 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,112 Replies, 5,273,854 Views
What is the usual salary for...
1 Replies, 1,585 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
119 Replies, 94,355 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
250 Replies, 74,104 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,310 Replies, 1,467,168 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
395 Replies, 69,636 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,961 Replies, 2,181,966 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,689 Replies, 1,011,196 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 325,092 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 15,371 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,573 Replies, 1,218,340 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
6 Replies, 1,761 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
101 Replies, 120,480 Views
merit increment in civil service ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 36,992 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 2,398 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,039 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 9,775 Views
Save A LOT on your Vitamins
5 Replies, 3,103 Views
Which degree is the best return on... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 13,826 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
877 Replies, 715,654 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 79,571 Views
No progression in civil service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 20,793 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,867 Replies, 3,644,407 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency...
5 Replies, 617 Views
is computer science a good choice... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 979 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2