Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 08-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Unregistered

Hey guys,

Just want to have some opinion.
I actually got offered NTU Business and will be matriculating after my NS. But due to family financial issues, it's not wise for me to study for another 3 years and the opportunity cost of not able to earn an income to help my family.

So, I'm trying to source for the 2nd best alternatives even though it's a pity & regret to give up NTU offer...
I was actually thinking of joining stat board/ministry as executive or MSO with my
Diploma (business dip, GPA 3.85), while pursuing UniSIM degree as part-time.
And eventually, hoping to jump to MX scheme after getting a degree.

Just want to know, are the chances high of converting to MX after graduating from unisim? If not, is it easy to job hop and reapply to other stat board/ministries with the UniSIM degree?

Appreciates all advice or alternatives from everyone.

TIA!

Old 08-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey guys,

I actually got offered NTU Business and will be matriculating after my NS. But due to family financial issues, it's not wise for me to study for another 3 years and the opportunity cost of not able to earn an income to help my family.

So, I'm trying to source for the 2nd best alternatives even though it's a pity & regret to give up NTU offer...
I was actually thinking of joining stat board/ministry as executive or MSO with my

Just want to know, are the chances high of converting to MX after graduating from unisim? If not, is it easy to job hop and reapply to other stat board/ministries with the UniSIM degree?

TIA!
how tight are your finances? why not work part-time, give tuition, and work your way out with a university degree? and then enter civil service.

my view is that a unisim degree is no where comparable with an NTU degree.

HOWEVER, if you can get into a bank and confident of staying in the finance industry in the long haul, i would say both routes (work & study part-time vs study full time) are equally good.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What do you mean by "easier" and "org"?

Reading your post with such scanty detail, I can only conclude that you are looking for an easy job in the civil service or stat board. With that kind of attitude you will never get pass me in the interview, that is, if my HR happens to short list you for an interview.
Seriously, how many people join CS because of the passion in the role he/she applied and truly believe in the organisation? For entry level roles, I believe as long as the skill sets are there and the willing to work and learn hard, it's enough. All the talks about passion and stuff are bulls as 99% of the applicants have no idea what they are getting into.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
how tight are your finances? why not work part-time, give tuition, and work your way out with a university degree? and then enter civil service.

my view is that a unisim degree is no where comparable with an NTU degree.

HOWEVER, if you can get into a bank and confident of staying in the finance industry in the long haul, i would say both routes (work & study part-time vs study full time) are equally good.
Well, it's really family matters and all I can say is my parents will be really grateful if I can be working and earning an income instead of just part-time while studying uni. Moreover I've tried giving tuition and it's really tough because I can't teach.

Hmmm, but honestly, what careers are there in a bank that opens to fresh diploma grad and isn't a front line (teller) position? Furthermore it'll do good if there are lesser OTs because of the need to attend night classes. From my understanding, finance industry is fast paced and require frequent OT.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey guys,

TIA!
dont be stupid. can go local uni jus go. there are alot of financial aids available if your family finance is really so tight (bursary, work-study scheme etc etc). Alternatively, you can also take up bank loans which are interest free for the period of ur 3-4 years in uni.

u cant go far anywhere with jus a dip whether it is private or public... unless u have lots of valuable and influential connections who are willing to give u the opportunity.

here's a rough sense of the difference btw those with degree and those who jus have a dip or below:

Old 08-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey guys,

TIA!
Hi, I don't know how tight your finances are but just want to share my perspective to hopefully convince you not to give up your degree. I am also a NTU Business graduate and took a 90% bank loan while paying the other 10% by draining my edusave account. Needless to say I had no exchange program, no partys, no grad trip. I had to support myself and worked part time during holidays and off days at school and things got better after my 2nd year in uni because I managed to convince my internship boss to offer me a part time job paying $100 a day (which is a lot for a poor student back then!) and I had the chance to incorporate that experience into my resume.

Fast forward two years and now I have graduated and drawing $4xxx a month and paid off my school fees already. All these would not have been possible had I not enrolled into an undergraduate program. don't give ip your opportunity. think ahead.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Fully agree with the post above. Try to convince your family and seek their understanding.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Unregistered

Don't give up the opportunity to study in NTU/NUS. And since you are pursuing a business program, you should be able to squeeze some time to teach tuition. When I was a undergraduate, I have friends who has 4-5 students. And u can always get some part time jobs during the 2 long holidays. That should tide you over. Never mind about the partys and grad trips. These can wait.

Quote:
Hey guys,

TIA!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Unregistered

Hi guys, I was the one who posted about giving up on NBS.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice!
But actually the main concern isn't in the school fee because I can easily take a bank loan. As for bursary and all other financial aids, I won't be really eligible because of family income. Belonged to the middle income, just that family hav debts that caused us to be in financial difficulties.
Moreover, my dad isn't in good health and there are concerns on what happen if my dad couldn't work at his current job anymore, which requires a healthy body. It's too big of a risk!

And I'm aware that the pay for dip and degree is very very different! But not that I'll stop with a dip, because I'll definitely be taking part time degree (UniSIM) and try to move on to MX scheme in the civil service
Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi guys, I was the one who posted about giving up on NBS.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice!
But actually the main concern isn't in the school fee because I can easily take a bank loan. As for bursary and all other financial aids, I won't be really eligible because of family income. Belonged to the middle income, just that family hav debts that caused us to be in financial difficulties.
Moreover, my dad isn't in good health and there are concerns on what happen if my dad couldn't work at his current job anymore, which requires a healthy body. It's too big of a risk!

And I'm aware that the pay for dip and degree is very very different! But not that I'll stop with a dip, because I'll definitely be taking part time degree (UniSIM) and try to move on to MX scheme in the civil service
i still hope that u can go for local uni... not all degrees are equal.. especially in the public sector.