How much are you earning per annum? - Page 260 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 16-07-2013, 06:41 AM
Unregistered

I am a retiree who earns $50k pa from passive income. Lives in a luxury condo. No mortgage, no car loan, no loans at all. Drives an old car and lives frugally. Even though I live in a luxury condo, I eat at hawker centres, mingle with heartlanders and dress humbly. Even though I used to be a corporate executive, today, I am just an ordinary man in the streets. A nobody. But to my kids and wife, I am the best dad in the world. To me that is all I want. When I die, to be remembered as a loving and caring dad and husband, is all I need. Not remembered as the rich guy whose fortune created greed and animosity between children. Live a simple meaningful life. Not of greed and lust.

Old 16-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Unregistered

It is interesting to note that we are so close by to M'sia and yet many are not taking advantage of this closeness and much lower cost of living over there.

At the current exchange rate of S$1 to RM2.5, many S'poreans will be millionaires in M'sia and living comfortable (make that luxurious)lives.

Our combined income of $420k pa in S'porean translates to RM1.1M pa! Big ticket items like houses and cars are so much cheaper there. Food prices too. But here, we are really struggling to save enough for retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am 38 years old , locum GP, work 35 hrs per week, earn $160000 pa or about $13250 per month. Live in a landed terrace worth 2 million now and have 2 investment properties. A private condo in Singapore and a semi d in Malaysia. Hope to retire with passive income soon.

Old 16-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It is interesting to note that we are so close by to M'sia and yet many are not taking advantage of this closeness and much lower cost of living over there.

At the current exchange rate of S$1 to RM2.5, many S'poreans will be millionaires in M'sia and living comfortable (make that luxurious)lives.

Our combined income of $420k pa in S'porean translates to RM1.1M pa! Big ticket items like houses and cars are so much cheaper there. Food prices too. But here, we are really struggling to save enough for retirement.

Then are you willing to give up what you have here to go over there?

Do you know how dangerous it can be over there? Do you dare to risk your wife and daughter's safety over there?

It's not that Singaporeans don't know, but we would rather be poor folks here than to risk our loved ones getting raped, or gangraped and burnt to death in other countries.

Old 16-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am a retiree who earns $50k pa from passive income. Lives in a luxury condo. No mortgage, no car loan, no loans at all. Drives an old car and lives frugally. Even though I live in a luxury condo, I eat at hawker centres, mingle with heartlanders and dress humbly. Even though I used to be a corporate executive, today, I am just an ordinary man in the streets. A nobody. But to my kids and wife, I am the best dad in the world. To me that is all I want. When I die, to be remembered as a loving and caring dad and husband, is all I need. Not remembered as the rich guy whose fortune created greed and animosity between children. Live a simple meaningful life. Not of greed and lust.
Aiyo we are the opposite.

I am a retired civil servant, but I have $120K in passive income. I live in a 4 room HDB flat in Holland Village. No mortgage, No car loan, but I have a 2 year old Mercedes C Class. I may live in HDB, but I eat well at nice restaurants almost every day. I ask for lower salt, lower fat and high quality food. The hawker center food is tasty, but very bad for you. Even yong tau foo has a ton of salt and I am never sure what they put into that fish cake or meat. Salt is bad for blood pressure.

I enjoy mingling with my old pals in the civil service, some of them very well known and senior. I feel good when I drive to their country club to meet them in my C Class as I feel like somebody despite living in HDB.

I brought my kids up to be competitive and to value money. Perhaps they are not spending that much time with me because they are working hard at their jobs, one lawyer, one doctor and one banker who is overseas. But I am proud that they are successful and that being a dad that pushed them hard, my kids tell me that they found me to be quite a difficult father when they were young, but that they understand and respect why I did it now that they are successful.

When I die, I want to be remembered as a successful person who came from nothing, but who worked very hard to support his family and who brought up 3 boys who were good, confident and well educated young men that did well in life.
Old 16-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Most Chinese and Indian Singaporeans would be quite reluctant to live anywhere in Malaysia, while many Malaysian Chinese just dream of living in Singapore. Without talking about the 2nd class citizen issue, safety, security and convenience are more important to Singaporeans than having a big house or big car. A luxurious life is about the quality of life rather than the things you own. Besides, only Proton and other Malaysian cars are cheap. Luxury cars still garner the 300% luxury tax.
Old 16-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Well, you can declare ZERO income, and you get to enjoy benefits like subsidized healthcare (C ward and polyclinic), and you get welfare benefits from the government as well. You just have to approach the CDCs for help.

But please do not tell them you have a net worth of $3M, because you will probably be laughed out of the place, as you probably are worth more than even the social workers themselves.

Or... you can take your money, and go retire in Thailand. I heard it's quite a relaxed lifestyle, and you can even throw in a Thai gf (or gfs) while you are at it.
Just do make sure that they do not turn out to be Thai lbf (ladyboyfriends) instead of gfs.

do beware, there have been mistakes made before.

Old 16-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I am a retired civil servant, but I have $120K in passive income. I live in a 4 room HDB flat in Holland Village. No mortgage, No car loan, but I have a 2 year old Mercedes C Class. I may live in HDB, but I eat well at nice restaurants almost every day. I ask for lower salt, lower fat and high quality food. The hawker center food is tasty, but very bad for you. Even yong tau foo has a ton of salt and I am never sure what they put into that fish cake or meat. Salt is bad for blood pressure.

I enjoy mingling with my old pals in the civil service, some of them very well known and senior. I feel good when I drive to their country club to meet them in my C Class as I feel like somebody despite living in HDB.

I brought my kids up to be competitive and to value money. Perhaps they are not spending that much time with me because they are working hard at their jobs, one lawyer, one doctor and one banker who is overseas. But I am proud that they are successful and that being a dad that pushed them hard, my kids tell me that they found me to be quite a difficult father when they were young, but that they understand and respect why I did it now that they are successful.

When I die, I want to be remembered as a successful person who came from nothing, but who worked very hard to support his family and who brought up 3 boys who were good, confident and well educated young men that did well in life.
Not to be a wet blanket, but why would people bother to remember you as a successful person when you die. There are tons of successful and more successful people around. Just be happy with your current situation and that you are cherished by your loved ones.
Old 16-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Actually, I am not too averse to retiring there, it is an option if we want to retire early and live in the semi d there as it is easier to rent out properties in Singapore. Have 2 young boys and am only 38 yrs old this year. May consider sending them to international schools there and semiretire soon, can still work as a locus GP in Singapore.
Old 16-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

Sorry to say this. I don't think you are so successful as a father. Even though you managed to school your kids well and now they are having good jobs, they are not filial to you. They don't spend much time with you and they don't bother to buy you a condo, which I think they can well afford if they combine they financial resources. I think you have raised materialistic kids devoid of values.

Quote:

Old 17-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Don't worry your complete biography will be published in the latest volume of who gives a **** right after you die