Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 17-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not to be a wet blanket, but why would people bother to remember you as a successful person when you die. There are tons of successful and more successful people around. Just be happy with your current situation and that you are cherished by your loved ones.
That's true, but I don't mean the public in general. I mean my family and friends who I have been generous to and I am successful in their eyes. They look up to me as someone who did well and that's how I want to be remembered. Of course I'm not as successful as those tycoons or famous people. I also don't want to become one of those older folks who had to come down significantly in stature because they are retired. I carry my head high.

Old 17-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry to say this. I don't think you are so successful as a father. Even though you managed to school your kids well and now they are having good jobs, they are not filial to you. They don't spend much time with you and they don't bother to buy you a condo, which I think they can well afford if they combine they financial resources. I think you have raised materialistic kids devoid of values.
It depends on your perspective and I understand so you don't have to be sorry. I don't think that much of families where they are all very close to each other, but are all poor and did nothing in life because they were all brought up badly by indulging parents who never pushed them. I came from a poor family so I know what it's like to be poor and that is why I pushed my kids to succeed. As they grow older they realize and respect what I did for them.

I don't want them to buy me a condo and I don't want to live with them in their condos. I cherish my independence and am very happy living in a Holland Village HDB. It's close to the wet market, MRT if I decide not to drive, a lot of good restaurants within walking distance and close to town. I'd rather live here than in a luxury condo in Woodlands or Punggol. I'd rather go walk in Botanic Gardens with my gang than use a gym facilities in a condo.

My sons are all like me. They have strong personalities and quite driven. I don't mind that they are materialistic because I wanted them to succeed. I see the sons in Singapore about once a week but I understand as they have very long work hours in law and medicine. I actually talk to the youngest one the most via Skype as he is overseas and calls on weekends for a long chat. I'm not dissatisfied with my sons' relationship with me.

Old 17-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry to say this. I don't think you are so successful as a father. Even though you managed to school your kids well and now they are having good jobs, they are not filial to you. They don't spend much time with you and they don't bother to buy you a condo, which I think they can well afford if they combine they financial resources. I think you have raised materialistic kids devoid of values.
Goodness... why are there so many negative people out there? Someone is giving his take on his life and this comment is so negative. Should we not just wish other people well and congratulate them on their good fortune? Why is there a need to say things like that above? These are real losers!

Old 17-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Goodness... why are there so many negative people out there? Someone is giving his take on his life and this comment is so negative. Should we not just wish other people well and congratulate them on their good fortune? Why is there a need to say things like that above? These are real losers!
this forum is for ppl to fantasize being millionaire lah. why get so work up?
Old 17-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
this forum is for ppl to fantasize being millionaire lah. why get so work up?
i thought this forum is about helping each other, most come in to troll or to give negative comments. What rubbish is this.

I supposed many are those who cannot make it in life, probably drawing maybe 5k after working for a long time so all they can do now is to bring other people down, and mock and laugh at people.
Old 17-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Let's just ignore the negative comments. There are negative people in our physical world too. How do we deal with them? Just don't let them affect us.

Old 17-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Unregistered

44, retired millionaire. Enjoys swimming in my big condo pool and exercising in the condo gym. Life is not about making more money. I could continue working and earning big bucks if I want to, but what's the point? I've worked hard all my life, from school to work. Who knows I could die tomorrow. Time to enjoy my millions and take things easy.
Old 17-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
44, retired millionaire. Enjoys swimming in my big condo pool and exercising in the condo gym. Life is not about making more money. I could continue working and earning big bucks if I want to, but what's the point? I've worked hard all my life, from school to work. Who knows I could die tomorrow. Time to enjoy my millions and take things easy.
Congratulations!!!! Hip hip hooray!
Old 17-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
How much is needed to lead such a lifestyle? Is 2m net worth enough?
Old 17-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Unregistered

Hey, you raised a very good leading question. Can someone start a new thread on retirement savings adequacy? I hope our retired seniors can share their experiences on their retirement journey and how their savings and plans are holding out, so we "aspiring" retiree wannabees can learn from them and avoid the pit falls.

Mathematically, it is easy to calculate how much savings to build up, to support a certain lifestyle, and to last certain number of years, but it is another to live it. Unexpected things can and always crop up in our life journey. So I am also curious to hear from our retired seniors what unexpected events they have experienced that derailed their plans and draw down their savings quicker than planned. What about pleasant outcomes such as working children contributing to all your needs, such that you don't have to touch your savings?

Recently on TV, there was a documentary on old parents still having to financially support their unfilial children. Like that, the poor parents sure run of money very quickly.

Quote:
How much is needed to lead such a lifestyle? Is 2m net worth enough?