How much are you earning per annum? - Page 210 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much are you earning per annum?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2091 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Happy New Year 2013 to all posters!

I am a relatively new resident in a condo in the east (this is only my 3rd year there). During my occasional after-dinner evening walk around the compound, I would see an elderly couple taking their evening stroll. They are casually dressed but not sloppy. They have that serene and contented look, like without a care in the world. Never really talked to them beyond the typical neighborly smile when our paths crossed, until last Sunday. It began with their asking me if I just moved in. Let me called them Mr and Mrs A.

They are both 65, Mrs A retired 2 years before Mr A who retired at age 62. The topic of our talk somehow shifted to money when they asked what line I was in, and I jokingly complained I probably could not retire before 65 with the loans to pay off and the high inflation. Mr A worked in the Civil Service while Mrs A worked in a Stat board. Both got to super scale or equivalent grade when they were 45 yrs old. I asked them how come they weren't staying in a landed property as obviously they could more than afford it. Mr A said they missed the boat but they did not regret staying in condos either.

I was surprised they were quite willing to share quite a bit details into their wealth. Mr A said out of their combined of $450K pa, when they were 45, they only spent $100k. As their earnings grew, they somehow maintained their expenses. With only hints from Mr A, I mentally worked that by the time they retired, they would have accumulated (15 to 17 yrs) at least $ 7M not including the condo they are living in. Mr A said they are now living off the passive income from their investment. Mr A said their passive income can sometimes reached $350k a year. With their 2 kids financially independent, and Mr A having pension, they only spent $50 to 60 k of the passive income, saving $300k.

I was thinking, wtf man, I don't even earn $200K pa and these retirees are saving $300K pa from passive income!

Mr A "humbly" said they were the lowest among the high income group. I don't doubt him.
Nice piece of bullshiit you have there.

A stranger elderly couple who just happen to bump into you during a stroll in the same condo will tell you all the details about their assets, investments, passive income, working salary & their savings during a casual chit chat.

Yea rite. Seriously.

Reply With Quote
  #2092 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nice piece of bullshiit you have there.

A stranger elderly couple who just happen to bump into you during a stroll in the same condo will tell you all the details about their assets, investments, passive income, working salary & their savings during a casual chit chat.

Yea rite. Seriously.
He's talking about his parents lah.

Reply With Quote
  #2093 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

31 years old.
earning about 100-110k per year
in IT line.

Reply With Quote
  #2094 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Millionaire Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Wiseman1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is another defeatist mindset by aimhigh (irony considering his nick) I want to highlight.
When you and your surrounding friends are earning at a certain level and you see alot of people telling you astronomical salaries, you will find it hard to believe and then find excuses to say they are falsehood. How does that make you a better person? The more positive attitude would be to go out and find out how they achieve it.

Let me relate my own youthful ignorance.
1) When I was in Poly, a friend told me his friend (not singaporean) got his masters within 3yrs. I said that's not possible! But it's possible if you are doing it overseas last time. But in my mindset, i was only able to relate to the singapore context of 3yrs degree + 1 yr honours + 1 yr masters = 5yrs! Needless to say.. you know how foolish i felt looking back when i went thru my own masters overseas and found many who are like his friend.

2) When I was working, I was only earning $2k (1st job) and someone in his late 20s told me he is earning $10k. Again , I say! Don't bullshit! If I do all the 15% increment yearly blah blah blah.. you will only be earning <$10k by 29yrs old! Needless to say, the mindset was wrong, In my mind, i only thought he should be like me earning at my rate. However, there are many other industries out there where people are commensurated by their SALES results, not by TASKS oriented results. Of course.. that was foolish on hindsight..

3) When I was in my early 30s, I was earning $40k monthly(YES, MONTHLY Pure profit before taxes after loan+expenses) from being a landlord. I thought wow! I was rich man! But I still couldn't afford a ferrari outright without feeling the pain. So when I saw someone driving a ferrari, I say ..aiyah.. he must be paying installment thru' his nose to support that car. Later, I found out his income is $100k monthly from his small business (YES, Small business. You wouldn't want to find out how much SMEs are earning when his is consider micro).

Needless to say.. at my age of late 30s now.. I have grown wiser and not doubt people when they dare tell me their earnings. I would rather want to find out more about how they did it.

So you see...the morale of the story is ... There's always a higher mooutain to scale.. if you cannot scale that moutain, it does not mean someone else can't.


________________________
The Millionaire Mentor
You know what? Your justifications and analysis appear very credible until we come to point 3, where it does not gel anymore. You are asking people to believe there are folks who make alot of money, which is correct but at the end of day must still make sense....to make $40k a month purely rental income you would need to own at least 5 high end properties or 10 mass market properties.....how can that be possible unless you did not tell us you have million dollar inheritance or strike $10m toto along the way???
Reply With Quote
  #2095 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Remisier
less than 2yrs
$242K++

Helped my clients earned alot of money and along the way, myself too...interested to invest and trade, please contact me at [email protected]'s wishing all forumers a great 2013 ahead! Huat ah!!! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #2096 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wink simple life

56 yrs old, retired liao. No active income.

Wife, also 56, still working, 120K pa.

Passive income :
1. 30K dividend (fluctuate)
2. 40 K rental (gross)
3. 28K CPF interest (combined with wife)

Switched to lower gear, enjoy simple life.
Reply With Quote

  #2097 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

age: 26
race: chinese
Height: 1.75
Weight: 70kg

Pay: 35k p.a
Bonus: 0
education: nus

Assets: iphone 5 (white 16g)
Reply With Quote
  #2098 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default MOM Report on Wages in Singapore 2011

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/stat...sd_2011ROW.pdf
Page 129

30 - 39 Years (Basic Wage)
Chemical engineer 6,097
Civil engineer 3,980
Electrical engineer 3,900
Electronics engineer 3,850
Industrial and production engineer 3,650
Industrial safety engineer 4,635
Mechanical engineer 3,536
Network/ Infrastructure architect and engineer 4,300
Petroleum/ Natural gas engineer 3,690
Reply With Quote
  #2099 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for sharing your story, welcome to the forum.

Don't be irritated by the 1 or 2 trolls in this forum, they are truly a nuisance that unfortunately have lots of spare time on their hands.

I think every Singaporean aspires to having a nice passive retirement income like the retirees you met, but it is becoming more and more difficult for the younger ones to do so due to global money printing leading to asset inflation. This of course leads to displeasure against the ruling party.

As the elections come round again I think we will likely see maximal efforts in cooling measures for property and increasing welfare to help the lower and middle class so as to bolster their election chances. Even with this, the results will be unlikely to improve much for the PAP.

What we may then see is more seats falling to the opposition which will more than likely lead to the US style paralyzed A vs B government that will be unable to move forward with unpopular but necessary policies. We will probably have parliament stuck discussing computer system companies (to cite an example) rather than important issues like our graying population or low birth rate. Perhaps that may be the beginning of the end of Singapore's prosperity, if we take a (very) pessimistic view.

Anyway, Happy New Year 2013 to you too!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Happy New Year 2013 to all posters!

I am a relatively new resident in a condo in the east (this is only my 3rd year there). During my occasional after-dinner evening walk around the compound, I would see an elderly couple taking their evening stroll. They are casually dressed but not sloppy. They have that serene and contented look, like without a care in the world. Never really talked to them beyond the typical neighborly smile when our paths crossed, until last Sunday. It began with their asking me if I just moved in. Let me called them Mr and Mrs A.

They are both 65, Mrs A retired 2 years before Mr A who retired at age 62. The topic of our talk somehow shifted to money when they asked what line I was in, and I jokingly complained I probably could not retire before 65 with the loans to pay off and the high inflation. Mr A worked in the Civil Service while Mrs A worked in a Stat board. Both got to super scale or equivalent grade when they were 45 yrs old. I asked them how come they weren't staying in a landed property as obviously they could more than afford it. Mr A said they missed the boat but they did not regret staying in condos either.

I was surprised they were quite willing to share quite a bit details into their wealth. Mr A said out of their combined of $450K pa, when they were 45, they only spent $100k. As their earnings grew, they somehow maintained their expenses. With only hints from Mr A, I mentally worked that by the time they retired, they would have accumulated (15 to 17 yrs) at least $ 7M not including the condo they are living in. Mr A said they are now living off the passive income from their investment. Mr A said their passive income can sometimes reached $350k a year. With their 2 kids financially independent, and Mr A having pension, they only spent $50 to 60 k of the passive income, saving $300k.

I was thinking, wtf man, I don't even earn $200K pa and these retirees are saving $300K pa from passive income!

Mr A "humbly" said they were the lowest among the high income group. I don't doubt him.
Reply With Quote
  #2100 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
wern is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for sharing your story, welcome to the forum.

Don't be irritated by the 1 or 2 trolls in this forum, they are truly a nuisance that unfortunately have lots of spare time on their hands.

I think every Singaporean aspires to having a nice passive retirement income like the retirees you met, but it is becoming more and more difficult for the younger ones to do so due to global money printing leading to asset inflation. This of course leads to displeasure against the ruling party.

As the elections come round again I think we will likely see maximal efforts in cooling measures for property and increasing welfare to help the lower and middle class so as to bolster their election chances. Even with this, the results will be unlikely to improve much for the PAP.

What we may then see is more seats falling to the opposition which will more than likely lead to the US style paralyzed A vs B government that will be unable to move forward with unpopular but necessary policies. We will probably have parliament stuck discussing computer system companies (to cite an example) rather than important issues like our graying population or low birth rate. Perhaps that may be the beginning of the end of Singapore's prosperity, if we take a (very) pessimistic view.

Anyway, Happy New Year 2013 to you too!
you're taking the political stonewalling to the ultimate extreme. come on seriously you're talking about "deadlock" in a house of 81 vs 6 (SIX!)?! As long as the white lords maintain their 2/3, they can ram through any damn policy they want. Coupled with their 35% President we Singaporeans are the ones ultimately paying the price, from overwhelmed public infrastructure and housing.

I would rather them sort things out in Parliament through rigorous debate rather than degenerate into a rubber stamp institution. Wouldn't you have wished this was the case when the treasonous FT policy and housing supply bills were "discussed" in Parliament >10years ago?

The AIM saga might have little to do with typical apathetic Singaporean lives but if you constantly allow the white lords to get away with doing anything they want to this island we're not going to progress much either. We're already getting our jobs robbed from us, our transport overwhelmed and our public flats invaded. I can't see anything worse/better than our current situation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, income pa, lawyer, saf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industries with Highest Proportion Earning 5-Figure Monthly Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 23 06-08-2017 05:46 PM
Lawyer earning $25k/mth forged $65k payslip to get job Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 30-12-2011 02:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,231 Replies, 2,746,816 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
864 Replies, 448,126 Views
What course should I undertake?
9 Replies, 4,379 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,734 Replies, 1,648,345 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
990 Replies, 771,487 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
724 Replies, 221,285 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
113 Replies, 17,230 Views
Advantages
2 Replies, 992 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
209 Replies, 120,894 Views
Retiring in Taiwan
7 Replies, 443 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,343 Replies, 5,676,045 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,289 Replies, 1,006,539 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,832 Replies, 283,763 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 34,598 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,630 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,953 Replies, 3,760,268 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 3,007 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
618 Replies, 462,113 Views
How useful is CMFAS in improving... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 27,366 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,346 Replies, 1,936,517 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
410 Replies, 296,125 Views
Why does Singapore not have a...
9 Replies, 4,966 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,947 Replies, 1,104,002 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
471 Replies, 92,006 Views
Entry requirements to get into...
3 Replies, 558 Views
Anyone worked in singhealth/nhg? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 71,482 Views
How To Find Rich & Elite In...
2 Replies, 349 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
345 Replies, 268,717 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2