Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Ways to increase income

Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Verified Member

poorguy is on a distinguished road
Default Ways to increase income

Hi.

I am starting this thread so that everyone can share how to make e.g. $1000 more per month on top of your current job.

Hope this can provide some useful information, of course the guy who looks out the window everyday might pop by but we can just ignore him.

For me, I am selling put options on some stocks that I do not mind holding.
However, as Apple stock is expensive, I get only about 0.5% return per month on my capital $40,000.

Also, I am also invested in a fund, EXG that pays dividend monthly and the yield is ~7% per year, after US dividend tax.

I did some research on convertible bonds which seem to payout some dividend and provide some upside when stocks go up as can convert to stocks but most are priced above par so haven not shortlisted any so far.

So guys, any good opportunities to share other that COE price going up, look out window, sell HDB flat and retire overseas?

~poorguy

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
Hi.

I am starting this thread so that everyone can share how to make e.g. $1000 more per month on top of your current job.

Hope this can provide some useful information, of course the guy who looks out the window everyday might pop by but we can just ignore him.

However, as Apple stock is expensive, I get only about 0.5% return per month on my capital $40,000.

Also, I am also invested in a fund, EXG that pays dividend monthly and the yield is ~7% per year, after US dividend tax.

I did some research on convertible bonds which seem to payout some dividend and provide some upside when stocks go up as can convert to stocks but most are priced above par so haven not shortlisted any so far.

So guys, any good opportunities to share other that COE price going up, look out window, sell HDB flat and retire overseas?

~poorguy
All you are doing is punting on a couple of high risk instruments like writing options and buying a derivative linked fund fraudulently marketed as a dividend income fund.

You are better off driving Uber as side income for extra $1000 a month.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Verified Member

what warrants your negative remarks?
Do you want to substantiate your unconstructive remarks with better explanations?
Selling put options is risky? are you talking about naked puts?
Fradulent fund? Do you know the underlying securities?
Does driving uber give you extra $1000 a month? Do you want to share your experience or just based on some information you read online?

Negativity does not get you anywhere, be positive yah?

Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
what warrants your negative remarks?
Do you want to substantiate your unconstructive remarks with better explanations?
Selling put options is risky? are you talking about naked puts?
Fradulent fund? Do you know the underlying securities?
Does driving uber give you extra $1000 a month? Do you want to share your experience or just based on some information you read online?

Negativity does not get you anywhere, be positive yah?
If you think writing covered options ain't risky, then you need to go back for some basic lessons. Your EXG fund markets itself as a global diversified equities fund that pays out dividends, but in actual fact it uses undisclosed derivatives that are somewhat linked to a portfolio of equities and pays out so called distributions that are in most likely hood some sort of capital.

It is hard to tell because the company isn't being transparent on the actual mechanics except that is is loosely tied to the performance of a basket of equities. However, one cannot escape the fact that equities do not pay out net yields of 7%, i.e. gross of 9-12%, not even if it were solely concentrated on emerging markets.

Uber part time drivers can make additional $1,000 with far less risk and much more consistency. I am just suggesting to you that what you are doing is just high risk low returns and that amount can easily be replicated by driving part time with greater peace of mind.

Try to think logically instead of knee jerk defensive reaction and senseless sloganeering to be "positive".
Old 05-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Unregistered

We already made our money from good opportunities. That is why we have time to look at COE prices and look out of windows. I see you're a poor guy so work hard and one day you can join us.

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 05-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you think writing covered options ain't risky, then you need to go back for some basic lessons.
I think his into binary options with the so call fix return every month. A lot of get rich quick lesson are teaching this as a safe monthly return strategy to the layman. They like to ask the students to use apple & google stock to write because it makes whole strategy sound credible.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Unregistered

Not surprising why you are a poor guy.

Quote:
Hi.

~poorguy

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you think writing covered options ain't risky, then you need to go back for some basic lessons. Your EXG fund markets itself as a global diversified equities fund that pays out dividends, but in actual fact it uses undisclosed derivatives that are somewhat linked to a portfolio of equities and pays out so called distributions that are in most likely hood some sort of capital.

It is hard to tell because the company isn't being transparent on the actual mechanics except that is is loosely tied to the performance of a basket of equities. However, one cannot escape the fact that equities do not pay out net yields of 7%, i.e. gross of 9-12%, not even if it were solely concentrated on emerging markets.

Uber part time drivers can make additional $1,000 with far less risk and much more consistency. I am just suggesting to you that what you are doing is just high risk low returns and that amount can easily be replicated by driving part time with greater peace of mind.

Try to think logically instead of knee jerk defensive reaction and senseless sloganeering to be "positive".

Compare this to your first reply. If you have answered with these constructive comments, it would have educated people so much.

I am poor, so COE/retirement is out of my leagues, that is why I'm asking if other people care to share their ideas.

Also, I am not into binary options and definitely not selling anything. I sell 4 contracts of Apple@100 put options for about $100/contract. It is not a naked put option as I have to put aside 40k in case the options got called which happened before and I had to buy the stocks. Which I then sell call options as covered call.

Other than Uber, any other suggestions to share?
Old 05-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Compare this to your first reply. If you have answered with these constructive comments, it would have educated people so much.

I am poor, so COE/retirement is out of my leagues, that is why I'm asking if other people care to share their ideas.

Also, I am not into binary options and definitely not selling anything. I sell 4 contracts of Apple@100 put options for about $100/contract. It is not a naked put option as I have to put aside 40k in case the options got called which happened before and I had to buy the stocks. Which I then sell call options as covered call.

what skills u have? cannot just no head no tail expect ppl to teach u how to make money.

also from exp i dun recommend poor ppl play stock market, many of my friends all end up losing money cauz they dun have backing.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I sell 4 contracts of Apple@100 put options for about $100/contract. It is not a naked put option as I have to put aside 40k in case the options got called which happened before and I had to buy the stocks. Which I then sell call options as covered call.

Different poster.

This is like playing with CFDs, win some lose some. I won't classify that as additional monthly income. 40k too small to make passive income, best way is to take up additional jobs like driver, property/insurance sales, tuition, blog shops etc.