Lawyer Salary - Page 52 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #511 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Are the rumours true that SMU Law's reputation is on a decline in Singapore?

Heard that firms, especially international firms in Singapore, are generally reluctant to take on SMU law students. Very few SMU law students are able to secure training contracts with the top JLV which offers TCs (there is only one JLV which offers TCs in Singapore at present). Could this be because SMU's (lack of) international ranking makes it less desirable to employers?

Generally, the SMU novelty factor has worn off after so many years and firms are looking more at traditional indicators.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #512 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah that's the same things I'm hearing from my law friends in SMU. But to put things in perspective, there was a time when NTU did not fare well in the international rankings. But in recent years they have been on an upswing. I think international rankings are unfavorable to newer institutions (i.e. Less than 50 years old).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are the rumours true that SMU Law's reputation is on a decline in Singapore?

Heard that firms, especially international firms in Singapore, are generally reluctant to take on SMU law students. Very few SMU law students are able to secure training contracts with the top JLV which offers TCs (there is only one JLV which offers TCs in Singapore at present). Could this be because SMU's (lack of) international ranking makes it less desirable to employers?

Generally, the SMU novelty factor has worn off after so many years and firms are looking more at traditional indicators.


Reply With Quote
  #513 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are the rumours true that SMU Law's reputation is on a decline in Singapore?

Heard that firms, especially international firms in Singapore, are generally reluctant to take on SMU law students. Very few SMU law students are able to secure training contracts with the top JLV which offers TCs (there is only one JLV which offers TCs in Singapore at present). Could this be because SMU's (lack of) international ranking makes it less desirable to employers?

Generally, the SMU novelty factor has worn off after so many years and firms are looking more at traditional indicators.
I'm not sure where you've heard this. I'm the guy with a magna from SMU. I have a TC with the JLV that you are talking about and about half of their intake from my year is from SMU.

Reply With Quote
  #514 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Have about 4 years PQE in a big 4. Have heard many things of late. My advice to JC2 students is this. If you have a choice do law at Oxbridge, LSE or UCL, go for it. If you have to take up loans of some sort, it's worth it in the long run.
Then try to do the BCL/LLM from Oxbridge thereafter. It's not easy for local unis grad to go to international firms. That's the reality. The profession is still about branding and image.
Reply With Quote
  #515 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm not sure where you've heard this. I'm the guy with a magna from SMU. I have a TC with the JLV that you are talking about and about half of their intake from my year is from SMU.
He probably means CC, which has few if any SMU grads according to its website.
Reply With Quote
  #516 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
He probably means CC, which has few if any SMU grads according to its website.
Ah. Yeah thats true then. My batch has only 1 SMU trainee in CC. I'd also like to add that there are some firms (including 1 of the big 4) that seem prejudiced against SMU grads.
Reply With Quote

  #517 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi guys,

I am currently a final year student at one of the law schools in the UK. I'm just curious how many seniors in Part A currently are without a TC?

Regards,
Terence
Reply With Quote
  #518 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
He probably means CC, which has few if any SMU grads according to its website.
True. Have heard of that.
Reply With Quote
  #519 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ah. Yeah thats true then. My batch has only 1 SMU trainee in CC. I'd also like to add that there are some firms (including 1 of the big 4) that seem prejudiced against SMU grads.
Thats weird. I don't really see much of a prejudice.
Reply With Quote
  #520 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Have about 4 years PQE in a big 4. Have heard many things of late. My advice to JC2 students is this. If you have a choice do law at Oxbridge, LSE or UCL, go for it. If you have to take up loans of some sort, it's worth it in the long run.
Then try to do the BCL/LLM from Oxbridge thereafter. It's not easy for local unis grad to go to international firms. That's the reality. The profession is still about branding and image.
Thats quite extreme. Going at all costs have associated consequencs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Working in SMRT ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 63,191 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,071 Replies, 5,461,655 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
748 Replies, 586,568 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,384 Replies, 3,965,383 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,396 Replies, 10,788,714 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,547 Replies, 3,614,482 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,704 Replies, 7,141,881 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,092 Replies, 2,552,653 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,287 Replies, 1,162,558 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2024
2 Replies, 505 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,412 Replies, 1,225,911 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,928 Replies, 1,658,191 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,398 Replies, 931,005 Views
Health Promotion Board ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 12,045 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
45 Replies, 110,056 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 211,387 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
876 Replies, 468,440 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,475 Replies, 4,981,909 Views
PMO (Prime Minister's Office... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 8,167 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,503 Replies, 12,900,289 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
353 Replies, 401,200 Views
GIC offer ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 942 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
833 Replies, 477,192 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,944 Replies, 2,989,379 Views
Nparks ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
42 Replies, 38,180 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,594 Replies, 2,566,741 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
928 Replies, 448,541 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
283 Replies, 406,774 Views
DBS Bank career advancement,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
138 Replies, 311,811 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2