Lawyer Salary - Page 49 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #481 (permalink)  
Old 19-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for putting it in perspective. It's really helpful advice. Just got back some of my drafts from the associate and it's covered in corrections. I don't remember a time in law school where a research paper I wrote had so many corrections. It's frustrating.

One thing I wonder is why law firms are so bent on hiring dean listers and summa cum laudes when the knowledge acquired in law school is so irrelevant to corporate practice. If everyone starts on an equal footing, i.e. new, on their first day of work, it simply does not add weight to such a hiring policy.

I have friends working as management associates in private banking this year and their work hours are surprisingly good. I don't mind long hours but what I find frustrating is that there is so much wastage involved when you don't know and the whole exercise becomes one of trial and error.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #482 (permalink)  
Old 19-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for putting it in perspective. It's really helpful advice. Just got back some of my drafts from the associate and it's covered in corrections. I don't remember a time in law school where a research paper I wrote had so many corrections. It's frustrating.

One thing I wonder is why law firms are so bent on hiring dean listers and summa cum laudes when the knowledge acquired in law school is so irrelevant to corporate practice. If everyone starts on an equal footing, i.e. new, on their first day of work, it simply does not add weight to such a hiring policy.

I have friends working as management associates in private banking this year and their work hours are surprisingly good. I don't mind long hours but what I find frustrating is that there is so much wastage involved when you don't know and the whole exercise becomes one of trial and error.
are you from WP? heard there's a trainee from CRE who ended at 12mn... Well to answer your questions: (1) in school the profs dont really care abt how well you do; its your responsibility (not theirs) to do well (2) a few years ago, the big firms hire every tom dick harry with a PC, whether first class or second lower; they are only choosy now because they can.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #483 (permalink)  
Old 19-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't think it's normal for a trainee. It is an insane amount of data entry and formatting. Law firms should consider investing in voice recognition services that the iPhone Siri is so capable of.

"I don't think it's normal for a trainee". What makes you think that trainees are better than associates? We also spend a lot of time formatting documents, typing minutes and proofreading. Ask around in 2-3 months if 12mn is abnormal for a trainee.

Reply With Quote
  #484 (permalink)  
Old 20-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

keeping it intentionally vague but yeah it's one of the big fours. can anyone here list down the firms in which they are able to end work within normal hours? i'm summa cum laude but i'm ok with smaller firms. seems like such long hours is only confined to the big fours. wasn't successful with jlc, agc though.
Reply With Quote
  #485 (permalink)  
Old 20-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i'm about to grad next year. unfortunately, i'm in the list of universities that MinLaw removed in March 2015. my seniors who have graduated this year have all told me that they cannot find a RLT/TC. even the only person in their batch who had obtained first class had to settle for a small firm. i'm on track to receive a 2:1. i took many loans from relatives and banks as well as my savings to do this LLB in the UK, so i'm very worried that i wont be able to pay back if i cannot even get a RLT/TC.
Reply With Quote
  #486 (permalink)  
Old 20-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
keeping it intentionally vague but yeah it's one of the big fours. can anyone here list down the firms in which they are able to end work within normal hours? i'm summa cum laude but i'm ok with smaller firms. seems like such long hours is only confined to the big fours. wasn't successful with jlc, agc though.
you can ask around for the firms with shorter working hours; but my understanding is that there are a lot of law firms that end later than 8pm - offshore, big, small and medium sized. i don't know whats your definition of "smaller firms", but if you are referring to rodyk, SML and the like, they don't end at 6pm either. if you want to jump ship, better do your homework first. the problem with smaller firms is that the exposure is typically not as good as big firms, as most of the brand-name clientele go to the bigger firms.
Reply With Quote

  #487 (permalink)  
Old 20-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i'm about to grad next year. unfortunately, i'm in the list of universities that MinLaw removed in March 2015. my seniors who have graduated this year have all told me that they cannot find a RLT/TC. even the only person in their batch who had obtained first class had to settle for a small firm. i'm on track to receive a 2:1. i took many loans from relatives and banks as well as my savings to do this LLB in the UK, so i'm very worried that i wont be able to pay back if i cannot even get a RLT/TC.
I heard even NUS/SMU peeps can't find RLT/TCs these days. You can try applying for firms in the UK or other legal positions like legal officers in stat boards. Or consider working in a non-legal field.
Reply With Quote
  #488 (permalink)  
Old 20-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does anyone know if work at international firms like the UK magic circle firms in Singapore have better working hours?
Reply With Quote
  #489 (permalink)  
Old 20-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
keeping it intentionally vague but yeah it's one of the big fours. can anyone here list down the firms in which they are able to end work within normal hours? i'm summa cum laude but i'm ok with smaller firms. seems like such long hours is only confined to the big fours. wasn't successful with jlc, agc though.
For someone who is summa cum laude and was shooting for clerkship or the AGC, you seem rather naive about the nature of the industry that you're about to enter / have just entered into.

I'm very surprised to be honest. Not putting you down or anything, but this should have been something you would have well been aware of as early as Year 2 or Year 1 by talking to seniors or just asking around generally or on internships.

Its sort of like someone getting into a bulge bracket investment bank and suddenly realising, *holy ****! the hours are bad*, does any one know of another investment bank with normal hours?

Did you not ask around before you decided to secure a traineeship?
Reply With Quote
  #490 (permalink)  
Old 21-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does anyone know if work at international firms like the UK magic circle firms in Singapore have better working hours?
Dude, working hours in the magic circle and white shoe firms are crazy. People work till 4 to 5 am everyday with only half a night of break on Friday nights if there is an urgent deal!

And there are lots of crazy deals around, many of which starts on Friday.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,945 Replies, 1,509,529 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
212 Replies, 80,859 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,943 Replies, 7,651,635 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,852 Replies, 5,041,734 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
600 Replies, 476,300 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 12,449 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,221 Replies, 1,531,552 Views
ST Engineering Land Systems ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 1,881 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,060 Replies, 1,877,148 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,406 Replies, 642,376 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,929 Replies, 647,914 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,314 Replies, 2,669,574 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 78,105 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
287 Replies, 117,362 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,052 Replies, 774,628 Views
Htx ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,819 Views
NE digital
0 Replies, 35 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
194 Replies, 50,846 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
545 Replies, 308,620 Views
Civil Service Bonus 2021 Year End
5 Replies, 1,256 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
709 Replies, 381,299 Views
Top Primary Schools 2009
1 Replies, 4,333 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
119 Replies, 133,234 Views
Year end bonus for civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
339 Replies, 70,442 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,256 Replies, 315,901 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,171 Replies, 2,678,641 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,807 Replies, 2,161,918 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
659 Replies, 333,210 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
352 Replies, 161,406 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 45,094 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2