Lawyer Salary - Page 99 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #981 (permalink)  
Old 31-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's not a dumb question because he already signed with big 4.

That means he would be burning bridges to accept another offer and go back on his word.
I'm #976.

LOL @ burning bridges...you guys overthink things too much...

He's just one of 20 or 30 incoming trainees that they hired for the year. Expect a couple of potential tainees to do a switcheroo around different firms in the intervening years between landing the TC and actuallly starting training.

Unless he's an equity partner with a book of business and a client list, I don't think this is anything more than a minor HR inconvenience. The hiring partner won't even remember his name after a few months.

Talk about thinking too highly of your own importance.

Reply With Quote
  #982 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm #976.

LOL @ burning bridges...you guys overthink things too much...

He's just one of 20 or 30 incoming trainees that they hired for the year. Expect a couple of potential tainees to do a switcheroo around different firms in the intervening years between landing the TC and actuallly starting training.

Unless he's an equity partner with a book of business and a client list, I don't think this is anything more than a minor HR inconvenience. The hiring partner won't even remember his name after a few months.

Talk about thinking too highly of your own importance.
A HR executive in my previous firm (big 4) told me that they blacklist and don't re-hire trainees as lateral-hire associates (when they re-apply again later in their career) who decide to terminate their training contract after it's been signed.

So take that as you will, but I suppose if you are super brilliant they would make an exception...

Reply With Quote
  #983 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just sharing some figures i gathered. For the second consecutive year, the Part B has racked up over 650 candidates. Retention rates have gone down especially in "rising mid sized firms". Good luck to everyone.

Reply With Quote
  #984 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just sharing some figures i gathered. For the second consecutive year, the Part B has racked up over 650 candidates. Retention rates have gone down especially in "rising mid sized firms". Good luck to everyone.
They were expecting more than 650, probably around 800, if not for the increased failures in part A.
Reply With Quote
  #985 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There 670 candidates for Part B this year.

SOURCE: I'm a current candidate, they announced it at the introductory lecture
Reply With Quote
  #986 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Not an overseas graduate but what's the failing rate like for the new Part A? Heard many grumbles about it. And does failing Part A affects the chance of securing a TC? Understand that SILE is going one step further to scrap supplementary exams for Part A from this year onwards.
Reply With Quote

  #987 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not an overseas graduate but what's the failing rate like for the new Part A? Heard many grumbles about it. And does failing Part A affects the chance of securing a TC? Understand that SILE is going one step further to scrap supplementary exams for Part A from this year onwards.
LOL if you are not an overseas grad why do you care about this? You should just admit that you are an insecure overseas grad.

Yes, failing rate for Part A can be between 20-50%.
Reply With Quote
  #988 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not an overseas graduate but what's the failing rate like for the new Part A? Heard many grumbles about it. And does failing Part A affects the chance of securing a TC? Understand that SILE is going one step further to scrap supplementary exams for Part A from this year onwards.
Failure rate is 50%. After the supplementary papers, the overall failure rate goes down to 30%. Bear in mind that NY Bar exams only has a [pass] rate of 30%.
Reply With Quote
  #989 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just sharing some figures i gathered. For the second consecutive year, the Part B has racked up over 650 candidates. Retention rates have gone down especially in "rising mid sized firms". Good luck to everyone.
you are referring to the firm that does "wall street" work which retained 6 out of 18 trainees?
Reply With Quote
  #990 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you are referring to the firm that does "wall street" work which retained 6 out of 18 trainees?
Lol! This is so obvious.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,960 Replies, 1,402,053 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,009 Replies, 3,343,159 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
439 Replies, 290,185 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,695 Replies, 1,056,505 Views
Covid-related job opportunities...
5 Replies, 294 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,110 Replies, 867,515 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
200 Replies, 41,906 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,563 Replies, 2,116,546 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
249 Replies, 9,401 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
61 Replies, 58,979 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
456 Replies, 146,348 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,855 Replies, 1,240,489 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,306 Replies, 319,670 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
881 Replies, 603,259 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,017 Replies, 1,891,274 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
270 Replies, 241,824 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,161 Replies, 6,219,928 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
355 Replies, 205,162 Views
How long does uob get back to you...
8 Replies, 1,422 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
3 Replies, 1,876 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
173 Replies, 184,175 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,874 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 104,669 Views
Starting pay for fresh uni grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 6,073 Views
Lonza Biotechnologist
0 Replies, 74 Views
MOH Graduate Studies Scholarship ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 16,184 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 27,486 Views
SEA Limited
6 Replies, 1,578 Views
Audit DGS
0 Replies, 81 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2