Lawyer Salary - Page 100 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #991 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you are referring to the firm that does "wall street" work which retained 6 out of 18 trainees?
lol the game is up. just another local mid sized firm with flash, jazz and branding

the above market starting salary used to be a big draw. now, that lustre has faded since smart people know that the more senior you become, the narrower the gap with, say, a Big 4 associate's salary will become anyway

Reply With Quote
  #992 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

LOL i think i understand the wall street work firm reference. Well it has to do with there having less corporate deals? There are a couple of good mid sized firms out who are giving the traditional big 5 a good run for money in some niche areas.

Really surprised by the Part A failing rate. Is Part A so tough or is the quality of graduates simply not there??

Reply With Quote
  #993 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
LOL i think i understand the wall street work firm reference. Well it has to do with there having less corporate deals? There are a couple of good mid sized firms out who are giving the traditional big 5 a good run for money in some niche areas.

Really surprised by the Part A failing rate. Is Part A so tough or is the quality of graduates simply not there??
Part A under NUS prior to 2015 is one thing and Part A (2015 and later) under SILE is another. They are strictly speaking not comparable. The papers, the marking standards and the academic rigour are simply not comparable. So the question above cannot be answered.

Reply With Quote
  #994 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Part A under NUS prior to 2015 is one thing and Part A (2015 and later) under SILE is another. They are strictly speaking not comparable. The papers, the marking standards and the academic rigour are simply not comparable. So the question above cannot be answered.
There were far Far FAR less candidates who failed part A even as recently as 2 years ago when the NUS law school still conducted part A and the NUS law profs actually lectured in person. Clearly the top notch quality of the NUS professors and the extremely rigourous syllabus spoke for itself. even the laziest overseas grad had no choice but to sit their a*s down and study.

now that the course has moved to SILE, with all online only lectures covering so much material in a touch and go sense, coupled with the unmotivation of UK and Australian grads who are used to cruising their way to a 2:1 with no bell curve and minimal effort for much of their undergrad career, is it any wonder that failure rates for Part A have skyrocketed in the past 2 years?
Reply With Quote
  #995 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

@994
fellow nus grad here. there is no need to **** on uk/au grads. we are all equals, just happened to have a better interview performance back when we were 19/20
Reply With Quote
  #996 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There were far Far FAR less candidates who failed part A even as recently as 2 years ago when the NUS law school still conducted part A and the NUS law profs actually lectured in person. Clearly the top notch quality of the NUS professors and the extremely rigourous syllabus spoke for itself. even the laziest overseas grad had no choice but to sit their a*s down and study.

now that the course has moved to SILE, with all online only lectures covering so much material in a touch and go sense, coupled with the unmotivation of UK and Australian grads who are used to cruising their way to a 2:1 with no bell curve and minimal effort for much of their undergrad career, is it any wonder that failure rates for Part A have skyrocketed in the past 2 years?
Lazy overseas grad here. I took Part A in 2013. It was still a while before the whole glut of lawyers issue surfaced, and we were all still chill about everything. I don't think the syllabus was "extremely rigourous" and I certainly did not "sit [my] a*s down and study". It was really just easier to pass. I remember the criminal law prof telling us that it was "so difficult to fail you have to actually try to fail". I don't think any of my classmates (mid-level UK university which is still on the list) failed, don't think any of us studied extremely rigourously also lol.

Then again, that was really a different time. And it's probably more difficult to learn when you are not required to go for face-to-face lessons.

As a side note, as of right now I honestly think my laziness has been cured by a fear of losing my job/financial stability/pissing off the partner/pissing off the client...
Reply With Quote

  #997 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2016, 01:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

How is a pool system like? is it very stressful as compared to working for a single partner but multiple associates? Also what's the working hours like for big four and the top 2 JLVs.
Reply With Quote
  #998 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Local grad here. I spoke to a couple of overseas grad who took Part A before and after 2015. Part A at SILE is still taught by NUS and SMU academics so i don't think it is quality of teaching. Part A course is still not compulsory. When i was an undergrad i helped some of the profs research and draft some of the Part A materials so i can say there is not much difference in rigour and comprehensiveness of syllabus.

I am guessing that the requirements to pass have tightened. Meaning the examiners now only pass you if you say show understanding in Singapore Company Law (case law and unique features of our companies act) not general company law concepts (say directors have duties, shareholder has right to vote, separate legal personality, etc).

Just my guess. I think they should have done that long ago for the interest of the Singapore Bar really. What's the point of having Singapore qualified lawyers who can only blabber English law or Aussie law as if we are their colony.
Reply With Quote
  #999 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How is a pool system like? is it very stressful as compared to working for a single partner but multiple associates? Also what's the working hours like for big four and the top 2 JLVs.
the short answer is: yeah duh.

i find that in a team, everyone sort of has an idea of how much work you're getting so they try not to overload you. (depends on team obviously.. if you're in those notorious firms where assocs and trainees leave in drove then, well)

working hours are bad everywhere if you want to practice law, esp in big 4/JLVs. but surely you should know that by now if you've done any internships/talk to your law fac friends right.
Reply With Quote
  #1000 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just my guess. I think they should have done that long ago for the interest of the Singapore Bar really. What's the point of having Singapore qualified lawyers who can only blabber English law or Aussie law as if we are their colony.
Don't think many (if any at all) practicing foreign grads who passed Part A pre-2015 blabber English law or Aussie law exclusively.

I mean, if you're already practicing you'd know it's not possible to do that right -.-
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 11:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,520 Replies, 4,751,261 Views
chronic job hopper
3 Replies, 204 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,647 Replies, 705,210 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,662 Replies, 1,735,950 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
735 Replies, 451,707 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
725 Replies, 700,680 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 21,387 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,774 Replies, 1,190,779 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,581 Replies, 425,174 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,450 Replies, 1,148,883 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,561 Replies, 1,534,436 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
246 Replies, 281,174 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
299 Replies, 227,023 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,512 Replies, 866,452 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
362 Replies, 289,492 Views
Market Research - Vouchers offered
1 Replies, 154 Views
SIM-RMIT fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
215 Replies, 144,394 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,777 Replies, 3,450,674 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
110 Replies, 56,892 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 68,705 Views
Software developers salary outlier
6 Replies, 573 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
307 Replies, 131,896 Views
Specialist Diploma or Private...
0 Replies, 126 Views
MCI and IMDA ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,484 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
312 Replies, 223,657 Views
MND Agencies Pay scale ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 8,196 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,674 Replies, 717,633 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,352 Replies, 491,728 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 64,499 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
274 Replies, 193,870 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2