Lawyer Salary - Page 1622 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16211 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2022, 02:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Your B4 associate pool can be split into 3 groups.

First, the ones that were good enough to get in but are not particularly ambitious and have no particular career goals and so there is no light at the end of the tunnel for them - they dont tend to make it through more than 3-4 years and usually go inhouse or a mid-sized firm after that. This is the biggest group.

Second, the ones that are are gunning for partnership. Before you call them dumb, it is well known that the B4 teams (particularly the tier 1 teams) only promote partners from within. And once you hit partnership, the $$$ is nothing to scoff at. These are lifers who know what they want to get out of their slavery.

Third, the ones that just want to use B4 as a stepping stone to international firms. Of course, this is more common for the corp than liti teams. These people dont stay long and are usually out the door by the 2 year mark (the exceptional ones might leave earlier). You can usually tell who these people are as they are usually your FCH / deans lister / commendation list types, though there are some teams whose practice areas are so in demand that any tom dick or harry can jump to international once they hit the usual PQE, even with an average CV.

Reply With Quote
  #16212 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2022, 02:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your B4 associate pool can be split into 3 groups.

First, the ones that were good enough to get in but are not particularly ambitious and have no particular career goals and so there is no light at the end of the tunnel for them - they dont tend to make it through more than 3-4 years and usually go inhouse or a mid-sized firm after that. This is the biggest group.

Second, the ones that are are gunning for partnership. Before you call them dumb, it is well known that the B4 teams (particularly the tier 1 teams) only promote partners from within. And once you hit partnership, the $$$ is nothing to scoff at. These are lifers who know what they want to get out of their slavery.

Third, the ones that just want to use B4 as a stepping stone to international firms. Of course, this is more common for the corp than liti teams. These people dont stay long and are usually out the door by the 2 year mark (the exceptional ones might leave earlier). You can usually tell who these people are as they are usually your FCH / deans lister / commendation list types, though there are some teams whose practice areas are so in demand that any tom dick or harry can jump to international once they hit the usual PQE, even with an average CV.
LOL this is actually so accurate

Reply With Quote
  #16213 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2022, 06:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What abt those initially cmi B4 TC, then managed to lateral in from a smaller firm? What kind of ambition do they harbour

Reply With Quote
  #16214 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2022, 06:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What is a reasonable 6pqe in-house pay for tech companies? Any big tech lawyers can give inputs?
Reply With Quote
  #16215 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2022, 06:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Truth be told, law is one of the most elite professions.

So your first class honours, deanís list, sile commendation list - contrary to what some ppl say here that it doesnít matter after 5pqe, sad to say it does matter until the day you stop practising law
Reply With Quote
  #16216 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2022, 06:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What abt those initially cmi B4 TC, then managed to lateral in from a smaller firm? What kind of ambition do they harbour
They will forever be known as ppl who cmi the first time round.
Reply With Quote

  #16217 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2022, 09:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Truth be told, law is one of the most elite professions.

So your first class honours, deanís list, sile commendation list - contrary to what some ppl say here that it doesnít matter after 5pqe, sad to say it does matter until the day you stop practising law
Word. Just word.
Reply With Quote
  #16218 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2022, 09:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your B4 associate pool can be split into 3 groups.

First, the ones that were good enough to get in but are not particularly ambitious and have no particular career goals and so there is no light at the end of the tunnel for them - they dont tend to make it through more than 3-4 years and usually go inhouse or a mid-sized firm after that. This is the biggest group.

Second, the ones that are are gunning for partnership. Before you call them dumb, it is well known that the B4 teams (particularly the tier 1 teams) only promote partners from within. And once you hit partnership, the $$$ is nothing to scoff at. These are lifers who know what they want to get out of their slavery.

Third, the ones that just want to use B4 as a stepping stone to international firms. Of course, this is more common for the corp than liti teams. These people dont stay long and are usually out the door by the 2 year mark (the exceptional ones might leave earlier). You can usually tell who these people are as they are usually your FCH / deans lister / commendation list types, though there are some teams whose practice areas are so in demand that any tom dick or harry can jump to international once they hit the usual PQE, even with an average CV.
There is also a subset of the first group that are both ambitionless but also pushovers. They just keep getting taken advantage of until they either make partner just due to time spent in firm, or they get kicked out for having no ambition. They have no agency in their life, and whether they stay or leave is completely out of their hands.
Reply With Quote
  #16219 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2022, 11:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is also a subset of the first group that are both ambitionless but also pushovers. They just keep getting taken advantage of until they either make partner just due to time spent in firm, or they get kicked out for having no ambition. They have no agency in their life, and whether they stay or leave is completely out of their hands.
International firm pay how much? What is the increment every year?

Wonder why all my big4 teammates hopping over
Reply With Quote
  #16220 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2022, 12:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
International firm pay how much? What is the increment every year?

Wonder why all my big4 teammates hopping over
Starts at 16k for NQ
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,143 Replies, 956,519 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,184 Replies, 2,888,613 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,047 Replies, 7,132,029 Views
Management Consultant MBB Big4 etc... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
227 Replies, 106,257 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,279 Replies, 2,114,288 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,497 Replies, 725,750 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,222 Replies, 3,939,893 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
563 Replies, 215,400 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,157 Replies, 3,150,615 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
966 Replies, 658,902 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,044 Replies, 253,293 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
730 Replies, 205,520 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
354 Replies, 181,216 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,398 Replies, 1,169,944 Views
20% salary bump? ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 5,142 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
524 Replies, 285,221 Views
RM Salaries and Commissions
0 Replies, 85 Views
What are some good non-fang tech... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 18,706 Views
Be a commodities trader ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
223 Replies, 216,398 Views
jobs at Tech companies
4 Replies, 3,240 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
194 Replies, 114,029 Views
Credit Suisse ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,685 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
341 Replies, 110,612 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
560 Replies, 233,188 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
385 Replies, 181,900 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,475 Replies, 2,533,554 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
351 Replies, 143,478 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,844 Replies, 9,611,985 Views
Relationship manager / Personal... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 51,147 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
146 Replies, 143,368 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2