Should I move on? - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Should I move on?

Old 01-03-2016, 07:42 PM

remymartinVSOP is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the replies (even the non-relevant ones)

I'm in the analytics field, not engineering. Does this change anything? :/

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 01-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by remymartinVSOP View Post

im in analytics too.

why dont u join civil service?

little pockets of analytics is sprouting everywhere within the service... even the healthcare industry, which is hiring alot of ppl for clinical analytics, pays higher than ur current job.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 01-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Don't think you can make much money in analytics. You will likely only retire at 65 or even 70, just like the engineers in this forum.

Why not switch to investment banking? You will be rich in this field and can retire in your early 40s.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Unregistered

I trust you know how to discern between good advice and noise. Noises come from those who were retrenched early in their careers, couldn't get back into the workforce and trying to "convince" more people to join them.

It is important to acquire some useful skills that can help you find employment and fulfilment right to an advanced age.

Not working when still young is detrimental to your mental state, build up insecurity and losing touch with society in general.

They also see their wealth shrinking while younger families overtake them. It is not a good position to be in. The earlier they wake up and get back into the workforce, the better for them. But I suspect the poster may have already tried and failed and now trying very hard to drag others down as well.

Quote:

Old 02-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Unregistered

Ask yourself. Do you want to work all your life? You think you will retire one day but will you live long enough to even enjoy your retirement. Many people die unexpectedly. Recently we hear about people dying in their 50s and 60s. Do you know how long you will live? Imagine you retire at 65 and then die 6 months after that. All your life you worked so hard, accumulate your millions and then die before enjoying your retirement. This is stupid.

My advice is to choose your career carefully. Work hard during your early years, make lots of money and then you can retire in your 40s or latest in your early 50s so you can truly enjoy your retirement. You still have the energy to travel the world at your own leisurely pace.

Don't choose low paying careers such as an engineer. Become a top investment banker or top lawyer. Their bonuses alone can be more than the annual combined salary of 3 engineers.

Don't be fooled by some people here who ask you to join low paying careers and then work till your 60s and 70s.

Quote:

Old 02-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,

Here to seek a bit of career advice.

I graduated from NUS with 2nd upper last year. Been working in a local firm for about 9 months now and I have a skill set that is quite well sought after. So far my job has been really challenging; I have learnt a lot of hard and soft skills; my colleagues and boss are really encouraging and supportive; working hours are good and pro-family (9-6).

My only qualm is that there might not be a lot of monetary incentive on the horizon (next 1-2 years). From what I have heard, the yearly increment is a percentage of 1-3%. My starting pay is only $3000 which is considered low when I look at my peers.

I'm wondering if I should consider moving on elsewhere that would pay me a decent pay or just stay put because it is a good environment? Or is it too early for me to do this (I do not want to be labelled as a job hopper)?

Thanks in advance!
If you are working in manufacturing sector, don't compare with someone working shift or other industry. My starting pay 8years back was 2850, a very well known Japanese MNC.
4 years down the road 3800 (a $500 pay cut from being promoted to management working office hours) That is with constant promotion, KPI maxed, basically I am their pet.

Eventually I quitted my job to become a private tutor because of stress. My stress level is when automatically I wake up at 1am, 3am to check any urgent update from manufacturing site even though I no longer work there. More commitment, more promotion = more stress.
Teaching was interesting, I ever considered enrolling for NIE but I could not. Family is heavy debt from medical bill, housing loan etc... I never seen my dad work since the day I am born. Now he is 85, 0 CPF, 0 savings. My mum is from kampong, no need describe more.

Quitting is a risk, never ever quit without securing another job. 2 years of job searching, I couldn't get back the 'so-called social media proclaimed $3.5k average degree holder pay' even with my qualification and job experience. I have lowered expectation and worked as a line leader, I still get the same as what I have as tutor.

I do not enjoy being a line leader, neither can I work because I have flat foot. It is in a cleanroom where the only chair you have is the Inspection table for technicians conduct their quality check. Manager is kind, he asked other department if they want to accept me. But I am seen as trouble maker, in the end also terminate from service.

I went back to being tutor, this time at month with a lower pay below $2k due to lack of student during school holiday. This year is a good year for me, finally a lot of interview going on but no employment.

Today everyone who knows me mock me- no car, no house, no woman. More fake friend appear, avoid me thinking I will borrow money, this is how life is for me. End of the day, nobody can influence you to stay or leave. Just don't regret your life.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Unregistered

sorry to hear about your life story. dont give up hope. why not you reskill? you can learn how to drive and then become an uber driver. i heard you can make good money if you are hardworking. never give up. you can succeed if you work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you are working in manufacturing sector, don't compare with someone working shift or other industry. My starting pay 8years back was 2850, a very well known Japanese MNC.
4 years down the road 3800 (a $500 pay cut from being promoted to management working office hours) That is with constant promotion, KPI maxed, basically I am their pet.

Eventually I quitted my job to become a private tutor because of stress. My stress level is when automatically I wake up at 1am, 3am to check any urgent update from manufacturing site even though I no longer work there. More commitment, more promotion = more stress.
Teaching was interesting, I ever considered enrolling for NIE but I could not. Family is heavy debt from medical bill, housing loan etc... I never seen my dad work since the day I am born. Now he is 85, 0 CPF, 0 savings. My mum is from kampong, no need describe more.

Quitting is a risk, never ever quit without securing another job. 2 years of job searching, I couldn't get back the 'so-called social media proclaimed $3.5k average degree holder pay' even with my qualification and job experience. I have lowered expectation and worked as a line leader, I still get the same as what I have as tutor.

I do not enjoy being a line leader, neither can I work because I have flat foot. It is in a cleanroom where the only chair you have is the Inspection table for technicians conduct their quality check. Manager is kind, he asked other department if they want to accept me. But I am seen as trouble maker, in the end also terminate from service.

I went back to being tutor, this time at month with a lower pay below $2k due to lack of student during school holiday. This year is a good year for me, finally a lot of interview going on but no employment.

Today everyone who knows me mock me- no car, no house, no woman. More fake friend appear, avoid me thinking I will borrow money, this is how life is for me. End of the day, nobody can influence you to stay or leave. Just don't regret your life.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sorry to hear about your life story. dont give up hope. why not you reskill? you can learn how to drive and then become an uber driver. i heard you can make good money if you are hardworking. never give up. you can succeed if you work hard.
I did not reskill to work for a different field but only took on courses that added value to my work experience. During interviews, I get posted the question often of how many years experience do you have in 6 Sigma, FMEA, EHS certified etc. Job market is competitive, having the paper qualification and certification is usually insufficient because most employers want years in practition, proven track record and stuff.
Thank you for your encouragement, I didn't give up hope even though the media mentioned 99% new jobs were taken by foreigners last year. These factors are not within my control and am already prepared to receive lower pay if I see prospect in the company. Most people will criticise me for quitting without a job, anyway it doesn't make much difference since the company is no longer in existence. If I didn't quit, there will be no time to even take on courses and I will eventually be unemployed.
I reach workplace at 7am, finish work earliest at 9am Mon-Fri. The only time I get to go off early is when HOD doesn't chair anymore meeting due to company function. Occasionally have to be back for meeting on Sat/ Sunday morning/ afternoon for quality trouble. It's quite the same elsewhere in manufacturing, rarely 5-day work week 8-5 job when it comes to holding important appointments.
My contingency plan was to become a full-time teacher or lecturer for ITE, still keeping my options open for now.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

My advise to you is to continue with what you are doing, but beef up your resume. Make your profile available on job search sites like linkedin, jobstreet etc and when the time comes, headhunter will look for you. Find out from fellow seniors on how to make yourself more marketable!

Analytics field is pretty well sought after now, but you need to gain that technical expertise in order to move on. Gain more experience in handling projects, and dealing with more people.

Set your sights to join a big company to get yourself exposed to how large companies function. There are also good jobs in public sector for you to explore.