Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Should I move on?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by remymartinVSOP View Post
Hi all,

Here to seek a bit of career advice.

I graduated from NUS with 2nd upper last year. Been working in a local firm for about 9 months now and I have a skill set that is quite well sought after. So far my job has been really challenging; I have learnt a lot of hard and soft skills; my colleagues and boss are really encouraging and supportive; working hours are good and pro-family (9-6).

My only qualm is that there might not be a lot of monetary incentive on the horizon (next 1-2 years). From what I have heard, the yearly increment is a percentage of 1-3%. My starting pay is only $3000 which is considered low when I look at my peers.

I'm wondering if I should consider moving on elsewhere that would pay me a decent pay or just stay put because it is a good environment? Or is it too early for me to do this (I do not want to be labelled as a job hopper)?

Thanks in advance!
If you are working in manufacturing sector, don't compare with someone working shift or other industry. My starting pay 8years back was 2850, a very well known Japanese MNC.
4 years down the road 3800 (a $500 pay cut from being promoted to management working office hours) That is with constant promotion, KPI maxed, basically I am their pet.

Eventually I quitted my job to become a private tutor because of stress. My stress level is when automatically I wake up at 1am, 3am to check any urgent update from manufacturing site even though I no longer work there. More commitment, more promotion = more stress.
Teaching was interesting, I ever considered enrolling for NIE but I could not. Family is heavy debt from medical bill, housing loan etc... I never seen my dad work since the day I am born. Now he is 85, 0 CPF, 0 savings. My mum is from kampong, no need describe more.

Quitting is a risk, never ever quit without securing another job. 2 years of job searching, I couldn't get back the 'so-called social media proclaimed $3.5k average degree holder pay' even with my qualification and job experience. I have lowered expectation and worked as a line leader, I still get the same as what I have as tutor.

I do not enjoy being a line leader, neither can I work because I have flat foot. It is in a cleanroom where the only chair you have is the Inspection table for technicians conduct their quality check. Manager is kind, he asked other department if they want to accept me. But I am seen as trouble maker, in the end also terminate from service.

I went back to being tutor, this time at month with a lower pay below $2k due to lack of student during school holiday. This year is a good year for me, finally a lot of interview going on but no employment.

Today everyone who knows me mock me- no car, no house, no woman. More fake friend appear, avoid me thinking I will borrow money, this is how life is for me. End of the day, nobody can influence you to stay or leave. Just don't regret your life.