Appropriate salary range - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Appropriate salary range

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 11
celery is on a distinguished road
Default Appropriate salary range

What would be an appropriate salary range for a person with below profile:
  • Bachelor degree in IT / computer science / computer engineering (2nd lower honors) from local university
  • Software engineer / programmer / IT analyst
  • 5 to 6 years of experience
  • Involved in application development, testing, deployment, documentation, user support, user training

Assuming not the above average paying top-tier companies/organizations like MNCs, civil service, stats boards, and also not cheapskate SMEs that do not wish to pay according to market rate. What would be an average acceptable range/figure that is acceptable by 80%-90% of mid-tier companies like NCS and ST Engineering?

I have sent in an application to a company asking for 4.8K and didn't get a response. 4.5K or 4K? I have heard of fresh engineering grad getting 4K plus for starting pay, don't tell me 5 years of experience is worth nothing?

I also do not wish to price myself out of the market either. Any advice is appreciated.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

think you should be getting close to $5k? or at least $4.8k ....

You shouldn't be settling for $4k cos you have around 5 years experience...

Perhaps you may want to consider how much you are currently drawing...then at least get 10% more in your new job? if not why leave current job?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2013, 02:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celery View Post
What would be an appropriate salary range for a person with below profile:
  • Bachelor degree in IT / computer science / computer engineering (2nd lower honors) from local university
  • Software engineer / programmer / IT analyst
  • 5 to 6 years of experience
  • Involved in application development, testing, deployment, documentation, user support, user training

Assuming not the above average paying top-tier companies/organizations like MNCs, civil service, stats boards, and also not cheapskate SMEs that do not wish to pay according to market rate. What would be an average acceptable range/figure that is acceptable by 80%-90% of mid-tier companies like NCS and ST Engineering?

I have sent in an application to a company asking for 4.8K and didn't get a response. 4.5K or 4K? I have heard of fresh engineering grad getting 4K plus for starting pay, don't tell me 5 years of experience is worth nothing?

I also do not wish to price myself out of the market either. Any advice is appreciated.
it's reasonable. i was paid close to $80K basic as a solution and development lead when i had 6 years experience with one of the big IT services companies. that was back in 2005

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celery View Post
What would be an appropriate salary range for a person with below profile:
  • Bachelor degree in IT / computer science / computer engineering (2nd lower honors) from local university
  • Software engineer / programmer / IT analyst
  • 5 to 6 years of experience
  • Involved in application development, testing, deployment, documentation, user support, user training

Assuming not the above average paying top-tier companies/organizations like MNCs, civil service, stats boards, and also not cheapskate SMEs that do not wish to pay according to market rate. What would be an average acceptable range/figure that is acceptable by 80%-90% of mid-tier companies like NCS and ST Engineering?

I have sent in an application to a company asking for 4.8K and didn't get a response. 4.5K or 4K? I have heard of fresh engineering grad getting 4K plus for starting pay, don't tell me 5 years of experience is worth nothing?

I also do not wish to price myself out of the market either. Any advice is appreciated.
I'm a software engineer with a top MNC. 3 years experience. Current pay 6.9k monthly. You are asking for too low.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
think you should be getting close to $5k? or at least $4.8k ....

You shouldn't be settling for $4k cos you have around 5 years experience...

Perhaps you may want to consider how much you are currently drawing...then at least get 10% more in your new job? if not why leave current job?

Way too low.
My profile was very much like yours last year.
$100k p.a.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celery View Post
What would be an appropriate salary range for a person with below profile:
  • Bachelor degree in IT / computer science / computer engineering (2nd lower honors) from local university
  • Software engineer / programmer / IT analyst
  • 5 to 6 years of experience
  • Involved in application development, testing, deployment, documentation, user support, user training

Assuming not the above average paying top-tier companies/organizations like MNCs, civil service, stats boards, and also not cheapskate SMEs that do not wish to pay according to market rate. What would be an average acceptable range/figure that is acceptable by 80%-90% of mid-tier companies like NCS and ST Engineering?

I have sent in an application to a company asking for 4.8K and didn't get a response. 4.5K or 4K? I have heard of fresh engineering grad getting 4K plus for starting pay, don't tell me 5 years of experience is worth nothing?

I also do not wish to price myself out of the market either. Any advice is appreciated.
MNCs with this kind of profile pay 8-9k, so if you take a 20% discount on the average of 8.5k, you should be asking for about 7k.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 11
celery is on a distinguished road
Default

Truth be told. My salaries were crawling in my first 6 years of my career.

Job #1: $2,800 (3 years - public sector organization)
Job #2: $3,300 (2 years - private sector SME)
Job #3: $3,800 (1 year - government linked company)

You guys seem to be suggesting I'm worth so much more realistically, like almost double my current salary! Are you guys taking reference from IT salary in lucrative sectors like finance, banking or oil and gas? I'm pretty shocked at the numbers being suggested, to be honest.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2013, 04:41 PM
biston
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I will state 8k as expected and wait for them to negotiate downwards to mid 7k+.

Why not go for MNCs when they can pay 10k instead of waste time with STE/NCS?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celery View Post
Truth be told. My salaries were crawling in my first 6 years of my career.

Job #1: $2,800 (3 years - public sector organization)
Job #2: $3,300 (2 years - private sector SME)
Job #3: $3,800 (1 year - government linked company)

You guys seem to be suggesting I'm worth so much more realistically, like almost double my current salary! Are you guys taking reference from IT salary in lucrative sectors like finance, banking or oil and gas? I'm pretty shocked at the numbers being suggested, to be honest.


Just add 20% to your current salary
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default prophecy eepmend

Quote:
Originally Posted by celery View Post
Truth be told. My salaries were crawling in my first 6 years of my career.

Job #1: $2,800 (3 years - public sector organization)
Job #2: $3,300 (2 years - private sector SME)
Job #3: $3,800 (1 year - government linked company)

You guys seem to be suggesting I'm worth so much more realistically, like almost double my current salary! Are you guys taking reference from IT salary in lucrative sectors like finance, banking or oil and gas? I'm pretty shocked at the numbers being suggested, to be honest.
Are you doing very back-office tech support operations etc kind of stuff?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary range for project manager (Oil & gas) ariyalkye Income and Jobs 84 13-05-2016 04:30 PM
Barclays B5 AVP IT salary range [email protected] Income and Jobs 72 24-07-2013 12:01 AM
salary range in singapore skanji Income and Jobs 2 27-12-2012 09:29 PM
Salary range for NTU Masters Ivarr Income and Jobs 3 21-06-2012 11:34 PM
what is the salary range for engineering management job? no1ne Income and Jobs 23 02-08-2011 10:15 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,745 Replies, 1,407,005 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,556 Replies, 7,333,212 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,678 Replies, 4,348,013 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,515 Replies, 729,616 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
622 Replies, 96,641 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,621 Replies, 1,270,803 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
458 Replies, 369,286 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,661 Replies, 4,591,266 Views
Anyone work in AVA Animal Health... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 8,818 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,006 Replies, 519,216 Views
Asset Management Salary ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 3,203 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,000 Replies, 2,494,180 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,022 Replies, 737,058 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
471 Replies, 271,415 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,331 Replies, 569,966 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
866 Replies, 219,849 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,058 Replies, 2,518,523 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 34,781 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
327 Replies, 452,230 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,909 Replies, 1,743,001 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 56,859 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 152,203 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,844 Replies, 606,815 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 25,976 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 99,844 Views
Perm to contract, increase > 2k... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 4,010 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 640,307 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 24,131 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 70,107 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,093 Replies, 1,311,051 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2