Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Appropriate salary range (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3013-appropriate-salary-range.html)

celery 17-08-2013 01:11 PM

Appropriate salary range

What would be an appropriate salary range for a person with below profile:
  • Bachelor degree in IT / computer science / computer engineering (2nd lower honors) from local university
  • Software engineer / programmer / IT analyst
  • 5 to 6 years of experience
  • Involved in application development, testing, deployment, documentation, user support, user training

Assuming not the above average paying top-tier companies/organizations like MNCs, civil service, stats boards, and also not cheapskate SMEs that do not wish to pay according to market rate. What would be an average acceptable range/figure that is acceptable by 80%-90% of mid-tier companies like NCS and ST Engineering?

I have sent in an application to a company asking for 4.8K and didn't get a response. 4.5K or 4K? I have heard of fresh engineering grad getting 4K plus for starting pay, don't tell me 5 years of experience is worth nothing?

I also do not wish to price myself out of the market either. Any advice is appreciated.

Unregistered 17-08-2013 08:58 PM

think you should be getting close to $5k? or at least $4.8k ....

You shouldn't be settling for $4k cos you have around 5 years experience...

Perhaps you may want to consider how much you are currently drawing...then at least get 10% more in your new job? if not why leave current job?

Unregistered 18-08-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celery (Post 41347)
  • Bachelor degree in IT / computer science / computer engineering (2nd lower honors) from local university
  • Involved in application development, testing, deployment, documentation, user support, user training

Assuming not the above average paying top-tier companies/organizations like MNCs, civil service, stats boards, and also not cheapskate SMEs that do not wish to pay according to market rate. What would be an average acceptable range/figure that is acceptable by 80%-90% of mid-tier companies like NCS and ST Engineering?

I have sent in an application to a company asking for 4.8K and didn't get a response. 4.5K or 4K? I have heard of fresh engineering grad getting 4K plus for starting pay, don't tell me 5 years of experience is worth nothing?

I also do not wish to price myself out of the market either. Any advice is appreciated.

it's reasonable. i was paid close to $80K basic as a solution and development lead when i had 6 years experience with one of the big IT services companies. that was back in 2005

Unregistered 18-08-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

I'm a software engineer with a top MNC. 3 years experience. Current pay 6.9k monthly. You are asking for too low.

Unregistered 18-08-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41372)
think you should be getting close to $5k? or at least $4.8k ....

You shouldn't be settling for $4k cos you have around 5 years experience...

Perhaps you may want to consider how much you are currently drawing...then at least get 10% more in your new job? if not why leave current job?

Way too low.
My profile was very much like yours last year.
$100k p.a.

Unregistered 19-08-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

MNCs with this kind of profile pay 8-9k, so if you take a 20% discount on the average of 8.5k, you should be asking for about 7k.

celery 19-08-2013 01:58 PM

Truth be told. My salaries were crawling in my first 6 years of my career.

Job #1: $2,800 (3 years - public sector organization)
Job #2: $3,300 (2 years - private sector SME)
Job #3: $3,800 (1 year - government linked company)

You guys seem to be suggesting I'm worth so much more realistically, like almost double my current salary! Are you guys taking reference from IT salary in lucrative sectors like finance, banking or oil and gas? I'm pretty shocked at the numbers being suggested, to be honest.

biston 19-08-2013 04:41 PM

I will state 8k as expected and wait for them to negotiate downwards to mid 7k+.

Why not go for MNCs when they can pay 10k instead of waste time with STE/NCS?

Unregistered 19-08-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celery (Post 41431)

You guys seem to be suggesting I'm worth so much more realistically, like almost double my current salary! Are you guys taking reference from IT salary in lucrative sectors like finance, banking or oil and gas? I'm pretty shocked at the numbers being suggested, to be honest.

Just add 20% to your current salary

Unregistered 19-08-2013 07:44 PM

prophecy eepmend

Quote:

Originally Posted by celery (Post 41431)

Are you doing very back-office tech support operations etc kind of stuff?