Can Singapore run without blue collar workers? why are we unappreciated? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Can Singapore run without blue collar workers? why are we unappreciated?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
bluecollarsingaporean is on a distinguished road
Question Can Singapore run without blue collar workers? why are we unappreciated?

Hi,

I'm a higher Nitec holder of an engineering course earning a gross $1450 per month

Do you think it's too low as compare to blue collars counter parts from other first world country Australia,NZ,US,Europe,Japan ?

To all white collars worker and academics,managements (many poor management skills) and thinkers.

What happens if no one fix your cars,toilet,aircon etc?

Do people look for white collar people when the MRT breaks down?

Oh the engineers only talk and thinks,they don't know how to DO stuff and make it work.

Since the society do not appreciate people like me and my contributions I would like to seek an advice from all the high paying managers and paper pushers

1) Please advice me on how do I get out of engineering and how do I pursue other field? with $1450/month in Singapore 2012 what choice do I have?

2) Any chances for me to work elsewhere (overseas) as I feel my contribution is look down upon and wages are depressed by cheap blue collars from 3rd world countries

I can't fight the trend am I?

I want to be paper pushers too and just point fingers to others (easy say then done right?)

thank you,
bluecollar(malay)Singaporean

p.s: Malay = lagi marginalized...

p.p.s: I hope I somehow represent all the other blue collar workers in Singapore as most of them do not have time for internet or just plain ignorant

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

go aussie. migrate there. see their skills in demand like welding all this. if you fit pay a bit more migrate there then work. there got minimum wage. 15 bucks per hour onwards. better to be there than nth

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Millionaire Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 275
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollarsingaporean View Post
Hi,

I'm a higher Nitec holder of an engineering course earning a gross $1450 per month

Do you think it's too low as compare to blue collars counter parts from other first world country Australia,NZ,US,Europe,Japan ?

To all white collars worker and academics,managements (many poor management skills) and thinkers.

What happens if no one fix your cars,toilet,aircon etc?

Do people look for white collar people when the MRT breaks down?

Oh the engineers only talk and thinks,they don't know how to DO stuff and make it work.

Since the society do not appreciate people like me and my contributions I would like to seek an advice from all the high paying managers and paper pushers

1) Please advice me on how do I get out of engineering and how do I pursue other field? with $1450/month in Singapore 2012 what choice do I have?

2) Any chances for me to work elsewhere (overseas) as I feel my contribution is look down upon and wages are depressed by cheap blue collars from 3rd world countries

I can't fight the trend am I?

I want to be paper pushers too and just point fingers to others (easy say then done right?)

thank you,
bluecollar(malay)Singaporean

p.s: Malay = lagi marginalized...

p.p.s: I hope I somehow represent all the other blue collar workers in Singapore as most of them do not have time for internet or just plain ignorant
Hi there, BlueCollar...

I do not want to be in your situation in this country. Yes, the wage difference is unfair. But we have become a city churning money through contracts, M&A lawyers, trades, bonds, financing and corporate deals. None of that will need blue collar people. So blue collar people will not see their wages increase when the economy does well.

On the other hand, you have the hands-on skills to start a business in a niche area. So maybe you need to take that entrepreneurial plunge. You have the practical skills that even university graduates do not have. I know it is easier said than done. But I think striking out is a better option than to depend on wage increments that never seem to beat inflation.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Aussie and NZ,which country is better for blue collars?

What other alternative does blue collar have besides the entrepreneurial path? how do they switch field?

I don't think everyone is entrepreneurial
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
wern is on a distinguished road
Default

join SCDF. Apparantly a sergeant there after a few years (like 4-5yrs) earns in the high 2000s, almost 3k.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 70
Sam Adams is on a distinguished road
Default

It's demand and supply bang. A lot of people can do your job, not many people can do the specialist job. If you can you should move to a more specialist blue collar job, then your pay will be higher.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
bluecollarsingaporean is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Adams View Post
It's demand and supply bang. A lot of people can do your job, not many people can do the specialist job. If you can you should move to a more specialist blue collar job, then your pay will be higher.
Really? I definately can tell many white collar people can't even change a light bulb,if so why are other first world country like ours have a decent pay for blue collars?

what i mean by decent is not watching theather on esplanade but the rights to have a family,a roof,food on the table.

Are you saying our economy more open then US's green card?

Any advice mr managers? I don't have very high aspirations just to get food on the table if you know what i mean

Dont tell me an internet it's a luxury it's 2012
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
bluecollarsingaporean is on a distinguished road
Default

I assume the gov wants all singaporean to work in office pushing papers in a hierachy while cheap fireigners do blue collar job?

Im no economist but this kind of model is a fallancy in the long run isn't it?

If we must survive we steal create jobs for police and a sense of insecurity

Please do think dear white collars
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 70
Sam Adams is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollarsingaporean View Post
Really? I definately can tell many white collar people can't even change a light bulb,if so why are other first world country like ours have a decent pay for blue collars?

what i mean by decent is not watching theather on esplanade but the rights to have a family,a roof,food on the table.

Are you saying our economy more open then US's green card?

Any advice mr managers? I don't have very high aspirations just to get food on the table if you know what i mean

Dont tell me an internet it's a luxury it's 2012
What I am saying is that the white collar workers can learn how to change the light bulb in a week, maybe two weeks if they really hand like leg. To learn what they do, how long would you take?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
bluecollarsingaporean is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Adams View Post
What I am saying is that the white collar workers can learn how to change the light bulb in a week, maybe two weeks if they really hand like leg. To learn what they do, how long would you take?
True,how abt troubleshooting the mrt?

Even if they do learn and know in theory,do they know how to solve practical problems?

Are they even willing?

It seems that a singapore society have a very narrow mind as skills and intelligence is only paper based unlike other first world country e.g japan

Any suggestion on how do i get out of this field as i felt that our society fail to understand everyone plays a part in a society as a whole

Your handphones,water systems and public security are maintain by blue collars too you know? Even garbage collector...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foreign Workers' Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 4 02-10-2015 10:36 AM
45.4% workers are foreigners in Singapore admin Income and Jobs 2 08-05-2012 09:11 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Which degree is the best return on... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 8,013 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
834 Replies, 419,056 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
113 Replies, 89,154 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,751 Replies, 489,829 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,770 Replies, 830,547 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
759 Replies, 506,593 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,255 Replies, 1,019,012 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 14,765 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,044 Replies, 816,494 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,895 Replies, 1,747,828 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
615 Replies, 310,616 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,171 Replies, 203,605 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
313 Replies, 53,956 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,591 Replies, 976,053 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,043 Replies, 1,380,925 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 45,267 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,853 Replies, 3,611,403 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
382 Replies, 170,851 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement...
8 Replies, 2,776 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
288 Replies, 226,653 Views
Govtech bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 12,466 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,865 Replies, 2,104,850 Views
Need career advice
4 Replies, 792 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector)
9 Replies, 1,174 Views
is it crazy to give up a 100k P.A... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 21,807 Views
Career switches - job options and... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,372 Views
OCBC Young Bankers Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
97 Replies, 71,188 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,370 Replies, 539,007 Views
Job search for returning...
1 Replies, 336 Views
Infineon Technologies
1 Replies, 255 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2