Can Singapore run without blue collar workers? why are we unappreciated? - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Can Singapore run without blue collar workers? why are we unappreciated?

Old 23-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollarsingaporean View Post
Thank you for sharing i belive 70k p.a is a standard blue collar wages fotlr other developed countries
Look at the carpark in exxon or shell or other oil major, audi , bmw, volvo. Life can be good. It's not a dream. Jia You !

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 25-05-2012, 04:28 PM

poor and stupid is on a distinguished road

Because is liddat de lor, blue collar is totally screwed in engineering sector, i think take motorbike license and be courier better

Old 27-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Unregistered

Default Blue collar

Hi frens, i am also a blue collar worker. Understand the difficulties of putting food on the table.
Personally i do we are under-appreciated and underpaid as compared to other 1st world countries. Just an enquiry, is there like websites where we Singaporeans can apply for overseas jobs..?

Old 27-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi frens, i am also a blue collar worker. Understand the difficulties of putting food on the table.
Personally i do we are under-appreciated and underpaid as compared to other 1st world countries. Just an enquiry, is there like websites where we Singaporeans can apply for overseas jobs..?
Good for you.. Look for opportunities overseas... Dun become a slave to be exploited for the advancement of the economy.. when you are old and poor, CPF is empty.. "They" will make you beg for food and take away your HDB from you... Better run when you are still young...
Old 27-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Unregistered

Default Are you willing to fork out USD5000 to be become general worker aka bangala worker to

hi bluecollarworker ah bang,

i totally share your view because i last time also technician but now white collar worker for better pay cos in singapore no choice lah! Open floodgate to unlimited supply of cheap labour=low pay. Gahmen already say no FT=no job. Be thankful u got a job!! Anyway, solution is to either get in those industries that some bros say like oil/gas to get better pay, but bear in mind the risk. Or go overseas to be appreciated!! I am going for the latter.

Anyway just to share my experience in getting the blue collar job below...

This was posted on Jobstreet website some weeks back. Call in to enquire on this position as they say only non-skill role such help mate and store keeper is available. Initially, i was thinking the pay was not bad at usd25 per hour min wage in UK.

The agent gave me a break down on the fees invloved:

- 450usd to be paid for processing fee once the company over at UK had shortlisted me.
- 3500usd to paid for visa,air ticket and commission once employer offer me the contract which is two years.
- additional 300usd to be decducted from monthly salary for the 1st five months.

Details from Jobstreet

http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com.sg/...6i5f39ooqflo14

Call in to enquire on this position and even took leave and went down personally. I was told only non-skill role such help mate and store keeper are available,Hence,no education requirement.I saw many foreigners from various countries like Philippines and India applying for this position and some have difficulties filling out the application form and were asking my assistance on it.Initially, I was thinking the pay was not bad at USD25 per hour min wage in UK. However, I got a shock when they mention the fees as stated above.

In the end, I walk out as my gut feeling tells me that this is somewhat dodgy with large amount upfront fees involved when I speak to the Singaporean agent.I feel like the agent is exploiting these foreign workers, milking them dry. I guess she is quite surprised that a young Singaporean like me will apply for such job as she replied only foreigners will apply for these "jobs" giving me a disgusting look, I will take that as job discrimination.To show her some empathy,I had given her a hard time with the questioning on contract terms and conditions whereas the other applicants were just nodding their head in agreement when she explained to them the contract details. Haha!
Old 28-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Verified Member

bluecollarsingaporean is on a distinguished road

Hi congrats to you,

Care to share how did you get out of blue collar to white? How did you upgrade your education and what course? How did you transfer your skills and experience of blue to white? Less hand moving more talking and emails?

Appreciated if u care to share the experiences

Cannot tahan lah pay stagnant,work like sheet,no water cooler to compensate all the sweats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi bluecollarworker ah bang,

i totally share your view because i last time also technician but now white collar worker for better pay cos in singapore no choice lah! Open floodgate to unlimited supply of cheap labour=low pay. Gahmen already say no FT=no job. Be thankful u got a job!! Anyway, solution is to either get in those industries that some bros say like oil/gas to get better pay, but bear in mind the risk. Or go overseas to be appreciated!! I am going for the latter.

Anyway just to share my experience in getting the blue collar job below...

This was posted on Jobstreet website some weeks back. Call in to enquire on this position as they say only non-skill role such help mate and store keeper is available. Initially, i was thinking the pay was not bad at usd25 per hour min wage in UK.

The agent gave me a break down on the fees invloved:

- 450usd to be paid for processing fee once the company over at UK had shortlisted me.
- 3500usd to paid for visa,air ticket and commission once employer offer me the contract which is two years.
- additional 300usd to be decducted from monthly salary for the 1st five months.

Details from Jobstreet

http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com.sg/...6i5f39ooqflo14

Call in to enquire on this position and even took leave and went down personally. I was told only non-skill role such help mate and store keeper are available,Hence,no education requirement.I saw many foreigners from various countries like Philippines and India applying for this position and some have difficulties filling out the application form and were asking my assistance on it.Initially, I was thinking the pay was not bad at USD25 per hour min wage in UK. However, I got a shock when they mention the fees as stated above.

In the end, I walk out as my gut feeling tells me that this is somewhat dodgy with large amount upfront fees involved when I speak to the Singaporean agent.I feel like the agent is exploiting these foreign workers, milking them dry. I guess she is quite surprised that a young Singaporean like me will apply for such job as she replied only foreigners will apply for these "jobs" giving me a disgusting look, I will take that as job discrimination.To show her some empathy,I had given her a hard time with the questioning on contract terms and conditions whereas the other applicants were just nodding their head in agreement when she explained to them the contract details. Haha!

Old 29-05-2012, 05:39 AM
Verified Member

bluecollarsingaporean is on a distinguished road

I guess most white collars wants people like me to suffer so they can keep their position by managing the blue and secure a high paycheck? (No practical advice shared)
Old 29-05-2012, 09:39 AM

poor and stupid is on a distinguished road

Ya, actually thats the point mah, information is key. For example the sales king wouldn't anyhow give out customer contacts, or some really cb ones wun even tell you how or where to start finding customer.

blue collar ppl like us can only wait to strike toto and buy a trust fund to provide extra fixed income per month and survive... maybe with a 2room hdb flat... maybe got ceiling fan too!
Old 29-05-2012, 03:10 PM

Qaz is on a distinguished road

Bluecollar.. I'm also a malay and wud liek to share with u my journey... started with a mthly pay of 1.1k as a handyman at country club after ns with my ite. then i took part time biz diploma and on the final year kept on applying office jobs with diploma as requirement. I did indicate my graduation date. I got a job at a local shipping company as an exec assistant for 1.4k.

After 1 yr I took a study loan to take my degree in logistics. By the time I graduated I was already promoted to exec in 3 yrs and drawing 1.8K. So with my degree, i change company and got 2.2K. got promoted to Asst Mgr and quit that company at 3.1K mthly.

Joined my current company as asst mgr drawing 3.4K and took part time MSC fm NTU and applied for higher position within my company after graduation.. now drawing 6K/mthly. This journey since I started work took me 11 years... If I can do it, so can !!

If u want to talk to me personally, do drop me a PM
Old 30-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Unregistered

hi bluecollarsgrean, i am a white collar and i am picking up blue collar skills as i go along because i firmly believe that you must be able to walk the walk before you talk the talk, otherwise, no action all talk only, use magic finger point-point and eye power to stare things into moving.

i'm sure you got eyes to see that the large part of this working generation has been bred to be middle managers (white collar, even if in the engineering or construction sector). In the past 20-30 years foreign workers are brought in to prop us locals up. perhaps you were unfortunate not to get into white collar but dun let that discourage you, because i believe tat one day the foreign labour supply will dry up. realize that your pay now is low because you have to compete against some FW that will do more for less becasue its still a lot of money back home in bangla, india or china.

in australia, there is such a term "blue collar millionaire" because they charge $80-100 AUD to come fix your tap, wire your house electricity, etc. Same for vehicle mechanics. You have a choice - first world coutnries are in serious need of skilled manual workers and pay much more fairly. you can move yourself or wait for singapore to move into that situation when wages become more fair. in the meantime do continue to upgrade and i am sure there's plenty of courses in WDA that you can take to build your resume

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app