Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Can Singapore run without blue collar workers? why are we unappreciated?
View Single Post
Old 28-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Verified Member

bluecollarsingaporean is on a distinguished road

Hi congrats to you,

Care to share how did you get out of blue collar to white? How did you upgrade your education and what course? How did you transfer your skills and experience of blue to white? Less hand moving more talking and emails?

Appreciated if u care to share the experiences

Cannot tahan lah pay stagnant,work like sheet,no water cooler to compensate all the sweats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi bluecollarworker ah bang,

i totally share your view because i last time also technician but now white collar worker for better pay cos in singapore no choice lah! Open floodgate to unlimited supply of cheap labour=low pay. Gahmen already say no FT=no job. Be thankful u got a job!! Anyway, solution is to either get in those industries that some bros say like oil/gas to get better pay, but bear in mind the risk. Or go overseas to be appreciated!! I am going for the latter.

Anyway just to share my experience in getting the blue collar job below...

This was posted on Jobstreet website some weeks back. Call in to enquire on this position as they say only non-skill role such help mate and store keeper is available. Initially, i was thinking the pay was not bad at usd25 per hour min wage in UK.

The agent gave me a break down on the fees invloved:

- 450usd to be paid for processing fee once the company over at UK had shortlisted me.
- 3500usd to paid for visa,air ticket and commission once employer offer me the contract which is two years.
- additional 300usd to be decducted from monthly salary for the 1st five months.

Details from Jobstreet

http://myjobstreet.jobstreet.com.sg/...6i5f39ooqflo14

Call in to enquire on this position and even took leave and went down personally. I was told only non-skill role such help mate and store keeper are available,Hence,no education requirement.I saw many foreigners from various countries like Philippines and India applying for this position and some have difficulties filling out the application form and were asking my assistance on it.Initially, I was thinking the pay was not bad at USD25 per hour min wage in UK. However, I got a shock when they mention the fees as stated above.

In the end, I walk out as my gut feeling tells me that this is somewhat dodgy with large amount upfront fees involved when I speak to the Singaporean agent.I feel like the agent is exploiting these foreign workers, milking them dry. I guess she is quite surprised that a young Singaporean like me will apply for such job as she replied only foreigners will apply for these "jobs" giving me a disgusting look, I will take that as job discrimination.To show her some empathy,I had given her a hard time with the questioning on contract terms and conditions whereas the other applicants were just nodding their head in agreement when she explained to them the contract details. Haha!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app