Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 28-02-2024, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchen View Post
When a mistake is made in school, why is there a culture of pinning the blame onto somebody?
Because it's human behavior

Old 28-02-2024, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Some SLs have the policy that first-time KPs must go through one or two years of internal appointment before being put up for interview.

If it is the GEO3 officer's aspiration to eventually take up full appointment, and they work under such an SL, then it is not a bad thing to fulfill their internal appt obligations while waiting for their promotion. The good thing about being an internal KP at GEO3 is that it is relatively easy to get B or A performance grades and positive CEP reviews.
I definitely support those who are ambitious and wish to climb.

However, if some appointment comes in the form of an arrow because the older officers refuse, don't be afraid to reject. For the young officers, don't forget - you will have to sacrifice things in order to climb. If you are sure about your choice, of course go ahead. But do think thoroughly about what you really want to be like in your own life. Not everything is about work of course.

With the manpower reduction, some GEO3s are already packed to the max for teaching loads. Adding on their committee, CCA, FTship and other event commitments - I'm quite sure not all will want to still take on KP responsibility.

Remember, you get to choose what sort of work life balance you want for your own health. Don't let others decide it for you.

Old 28-02-2024, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

To add on to the discussion, I am a GEO3 who have recently been asked to consider to cover an LH position, and am currently still trying to decide my next step. I am not sure if I can do the job well, meaning in terms of my management capabilities as well as juggling between my family and work. Before this opportunity was given to me, I always saw myself as a HOT/ST and I am someone who prioritise my family over my work, and I value self-care. I give my 100% at work and deliver what I need to, but once the time comes for me to be with my family I don’t want to be thinking about work or settling any urgent work matters.

I am still not sure what to do about the opportunity given to me, but I am wondering if it’ll put me in a bad light if say I cover the position and find that I don’t want to take it up eventually. Will I be jeopardising anything if I do that? I’m all for trying it out and giving myself the chance to see where this goes and if this is for me. But what if this isn’t my cup of tea?

Old 28-02-2024, 09:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Because it's human behavior
sadly humans are vile, even sadder this includes teachers and worse KPs or SLs. personally i think many KPs and SLs are scums of the earth
how ironic they are educators . disgusting
Old 29-02-2024, 12:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
sadly humans are vile, even sadder this includes teachers and worse KPs or SLs. personally i think many KPs and SLs are scums of the earth
how ironic they are educators . disgusting
No one is perfect. People are complex.
You sound hurt. I wish you all the best.
Old 29-02-2024, 09:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
some practical advice for geo3s who have been arrowed to be KPs:

1. u need to be at least geo4 to be formally and officially appointed. so if arrowed, it will only be an internal appointment by the school. no official appointment, no extra allowance or recognition from the ministry.

2. for geo3s, u will definitely still be able to receive increments since u have distance from the ceiling. a suggestion is to reject extra roles or appointments because salary wise it is simply not worth it. there is still a general timescale/requirement for increments or promotions for geo3s. don't have to worry about "not doing enough". just do the standard amount of work will do

3. once enough young officers in a school reject the mounting workload, the school will have no choice but to arrow the higher geos. those old ones who are stuck at ceiling or still want to promote will receive those arrows (to justify further increments or promotions). take higher salary, do more work - it's that pragmatic.

4. if the old ones are unhappy, they will eventually give up and resign. this process will be smooth since the ministry wants to cut headcount. it also helps get rid of people who are farming higher salary while doing lesser work than the poor geo3s.
No wonder. So is it true that formally appointed KPs got extra allowance for doing relief? That’s what I heard. Cos now I’m only internal KP at GEO3 but asked to do relief this term.

Old 29-02-2024, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
No wonder. So is it true that formally appointed KPs got extra allowance for doing relief? That’s what I heard. Cos now I’m only internal KP at GEO3 but asked to do relief this term.
lol that's your own sch arrangement

no extra money for doing relief
Old 29-02-2024, 09:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
To add on to the discussion, I am a GEO3 who have recently been asked to consider to cover an LH position, and am currently still trying to decide my next step. I am not sure if I can do the job well, meaning in terms of my management capabilities as well as juggling between my family and work. Before this opportunity was given to me, I always saw myself as a HOT/ST and I am someone who prioritise my family over my work, and I value self-care. I give my 100% at work and deliver what I need to, but once the time comes for me to be with my family I don’t want to be thinking about work or settling any urgent work matters.

I am still not sure what to do about the opportunity given to me, but I am wondering if it’ll put me in a bad light if say I cover the position and find that I don’t want to take it up eventually. Will I be jeopardising anything if I do that? I’m all for trying it out and giving myself the chance to see where this goes and if this is for me. But what if this isn’t my cup of tea?
From what everyone can see here, you have already done some thinking about the life you want. You should know the answer to your own question already

No jeopardy in declining, you will just go through the basic increments and slower promotions, which is also perfectly fine.

Just saying...just because someone uses or is given an opportunity doesnt mean that person will definitely climb faster and higher too. There are many other factors at play, such as the type of superiors in your workplace, whether they really support you, the quality of your colleagues etc.

There are cases whereby some officers were promised higher positions but in the end such positions went to others instead.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 01-03-2024, 05:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It’s called responsibility allowance, for GEO 4 and 5 officers taking on official KP appointments.

Onc u reach SEO level, there is no more allowance.
Refer to MOE intranet and search - it is stated (can’t recall remuneration or something) - clearly stated there.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:15 PM
Unregistered

Another two of my colleagues leaving in term 2. One raged quit. Not sure how I can survive the year when their work is reshuffled to those who are staying.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app