are visitors of Salary.sg mostly affluent people? - Page 6 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

are visitors of Salary.sg mostly affluent people?

Old 24-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nah, the chances of finding a decent paying job that you really have passion is about the same as a girl marrying rich husband – there will always be a few successful cases here and there, but for most of us the activities we truly have passion in is not something that we can do to make a decent living.

I prefer to go where the money is and use the money to pay for activities that I have passion in.
well said. i totally agree.

Old 24-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am in banking 31 this year and drawing ~5.4K, middle office role, I have other banking peers of the same age drawing 6-7K..but overall i feel that is a pretty comfortable amount.

I hope to hit around 6k with a promotion next year or the year after (so i will be ~32/33 yrs old) and after the promotion i will leave for another bank and ask for 7K..and then from there on..will just see how it goes i guess..
Are u male with NS or female? The 2 yrs exp gap makes a difference.

Old 24-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nah, the chances of finding a decent paying job that you really have passion is about the same as a girl marrying rich husband – there will always be a few successful cases here and there, but for most of us the activities we truly have passion in is not something that we can do to make a decent living.

I prefer to go where the money is and use the money to pay for activities that I have passion in.
Agree. In fact, money leads to passion whereas the lack of money causes one to lose all passion, no matter how much passion one starts off with.

That's one Hard Truth many stubborn young graduates with passion will discover, to their dismay, if they don't listen to their parents' advice.

Old 24-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

That's really sad. I can tell you that those people I've mentioned who have made it big started passion and nothing. Of cuz there are those who still struggling...500-600/mth. But none of the ones I know at the the top of their game do not love their work.

Passion adds an energy that most people will not have. These are people who get noticed and promoted, people who can sell their ideas and business. People who are motivated enough to be out there and get the right networks.

Those without it....good luck trying to get there...at the meantime, you can come here and continue to complain about how people are lying about their salary.
Old 24-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That's really sad. I can tell you that those people I've mentioned who have made it big started passion and nothing. Of cuz there are those who still struggling...500-600/mth. But none of the ones I know at the the top of their game do not love their work.

Passion adds an energy that most people will not have. These are people who get noticed and promoted, people who can sell their ideas and business. People who are motivated enough to be out there and get the right networks.

Those without it....good luck trying to get there...at the meantime, you can come here and continue to complain about how people are lying about their salary.
Without the average people with mediocre thinking, there will be no people at the top. Let the masses be masses, the average by average, the mediocre be the unhappy mediocre.

Delusions are sustaining the widening income. Just be glad if you're at the top.
Old 25-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

I disagree. Granted there are people who "seem" to be very motivated & passionate know how to sell themselves, play politics, get promoted high flier etc, but if you been around long enough you will see in many companies most (not all) of these people will job hop real fast as long as better $$$ comes along.

A lot of them say they are "passionate" in job, but their actions show they are more passionate in money & social presitge. Nothing wrong, my philosphy has always been go for the money and use the money later to pursue your passion.

Some new grads got some pie in the sky concept about accept low paying jobs just because they like the culture, boss, the job etc. These sort of people when got real problem come & need money, always depend on parents to bail them out. Some got more well to do parents still can help, others not so lucky die pain pain and life just spin downwards.

Old 27-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Minicks

Quote:
Some new grads got some pie in the sky concept about accept low paying jobs just because they like the culture, boss, the job etc. These sort of people when got real problem come & need money, always depend on parents to bail them out. Some got more well to do parents still can help, others not so lucky die pain pain and life just spin downwards.
This reminds me of this lady friend I know from NUS days. While all her peers are busy climbing ladder making money, she insisted on pursuing her passion in street art event organization. The SME event company paid her sh.it 1.8k IIRC with hardly any increment over the years. I know she stay with parents yet never give them money...

I myself told her to wake up idea & really go get a better job cause in Singapore being poor reallly sux. She gave me the usual dreamer story about $$$ not everything and passion more important etc.

Last year she got married and bought house with husband. Her CPF amounts were pathetic, no savings and need to borrow heavily from father in law for house expenses. Now I hear everyday quarrell with hubby, in laws and her own mother over money matters. She told me 3 weeks ago boss dulan with her frequent dissappearance to handle personal matters and sack her.

Now I'm still trying to ask around for a normal fresh grad job for her, but it's hard as companies are skeptical at what she has been doing for last 5 years.
Old 27-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicks View Post
This reminds me of this lady friend I know from NUS days. While all her peers are busy climbing ladder making money, she insisted on pursuing her passion in street art event organization. The SME event company paid her sh.it 1.8k IIRC with hardly any increment over the years. I know she stay with parents yet never give them money...

I myself told her to wake up idea & really go get a better job cause in Singapore being poor reallly sux. She gave me the usual dreamer story about $$$ not everything and passion more important etc.

Last year she got married and bought house with husband. Her CPF amounts were pathetic, no savings and need to borrow heavily from father in law for house expenses. Now I hear everyday quarrell with hubby, in laws and her own mother over money matters. She told me 3 weeks ago boss dulan with her frequent dissappearance to handle personal matters and sack her.

Now I'm still trying to ask around for a normal fresh grad job for her, but it's hard as companies are skeptical at what she has been doing for last 5 years.
it's a real issue. Years ago, I had also thought the same.

I was accepted to be a property agent with Far East Org and at the same time, a post with a non-profit org doing volunteer work. Both of them had the appointment date. I had loved doing 'acts of kindness' and after lots of advice and thoughts, I chose the latter.

In fact, I had another 2 poaches from DTZ to be part of their condo sales team as they had several projects coming up. It was in year 2005 where property prices was still stagnant.

6 years later (now), I looked at the material goods I can bring to my family and extended family, as well as the achievements by many of my peers who are in property lines. They are either in directorship and earning in their top 1-2% of Singapore's income; and here I am, with pay I do not even want to post.

Frankly speaking, being in a non-profit org doesn't really help a lot of people and most of the people which I've 'helped' are not appreciative and even bite the hands that feed them. Most of them suffered from moral harzard and thought that we are their servants.

Not being bitter or finger-pointing as it had been my own decision then, I'll just say that I regret my decision as I had been blinded by passion. I was young and ignorant. Watched too much TV and dramas where 'do what you like, etc'; and failed to understand the context and situation.

My family and relatives are still living from hand to mouth and what do they need? Simple. Just money. My passion doesn't help them and my knowledge with social welfare and all the theory of sociology and social science don't add value to them.

Sometimes, I just laid back and wondered aloud if things would have been different if I had chosen the pioneering road of property in 2005. At the very least, my family and relatives would be living a better life now.
Old 27-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Unregistered

I am not in banking..
Dip in Engg
Deg in Business

Spent the last 7 yrs in Supply chain, and procurement

Now in strategic procurement in electronics MNC.
6500 gross
Annual close to 100k after bonus.. etc

that would be middle low income?
Old 27-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Unregistered

"Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle." quoted from Steve Jobs.

So does passion lead to money, or money leads to passion?

I vote for the latter.