Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - are visitors of Salary.sg mostly affluent people?
View Single Post
Old 27-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicks View Post
This reminds me of this lady friend I know from NUS days. While all her peers are busy climbing ladder making money, she insisted on pursuing her passion in street art event organization. The SME event company paid her sh.it 1.8k IIRC with hardly any increment over the years. I know she stay with parents yet never give them money...

I myself told her to wake up idea & really go get a better job cause in Singapore being poor reallly sux. She gave me the usual dreamer story about $$$ not everything and passion more important etc.

Last year she got married and bought house with husband. Her CPF amounts were pathetic, no savings and need to borrow heavily from father in law for house expenses. Now I hear everyday quarrell with hubby, in laws and her own mother over money matters. She told me 3 weeks ago boss dulan with her frequent dissappearance to handle personal matters and sack her.

Now I'm still trying to ask around for a normal fresh grad job for her, but it's hard as companies are skeptical at what she has been doing for last 5 years.
it's a real issue. Years ago, I had also thought the same.

I was accepted to be a property agent with Far East Org and at the same time, a post with a non-profit org doing volunteer work. Both of them had the appointment date. I had loved doing 'acts of kindness' and after lots of advice and thoughts, I chose the latter.

In fact, I had another 2 poaches from DTZ to be part of their condo sales team as they had several projects coming up. It was in year 2005 where property prices was still stagnant.

6 years later (now), I looked at the material goods I can bring to my family and extended family, as well as the achievements by many of my peers who are in property lines. They are either in directorship and earning in their top 1-2% of Singapore's income; and here I am, with pay I do not even want to post.

Frankly speaking, being in a non-profit org doesn't really help a lot of people and most of the people which I've 'helped' are not appreciative and even bite the hands that feed them. Most of them suffered from moral harzard and thought that we are their servants.

Not being bitter or finger-pointing as it had been my own decision then, I'll just say that I regret my decision as I had been blinded by passion. I was young and ignorant. Watched too much TV and dramas where 'do what you like, etc'; and failed to understand the context and situation.

My family and relatives are still living from hand to mouth and what do they need? Simple. Just money. My passion doesn't help them and my knowledge with social welfare and all the theory of sociology and social science don't add value to them.

Sometimes, I just laid back and wondered aloud if things would have been different if I had chosen the pioneering road of property in 2005. At the very least, my family and relatives would be living a better life now.