Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Old 13-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Tried already, I do not see any fresh hire as managemant consultant from a local uni so far. How about you come up with a few links? It's pretty pointless to just come up with generic comments like this. Either there is or there isn't. So where in linkedin?
I'm from one of the local university and I can testify that there are MBB fresh hires. However, the number of hires is extremely low (probably ~10 from M+B+B) for all local unis combined. I haven't heard of any getting into M though. I'm referring to the actual FO consulting position.

I will not provide any further details on the graduating students who obtained the offer for the sake of confidentiality. This is the internet; believing me or not is up to you. I don't stand to benefit from it in any way. Happy to answer any other forms of queries if you have though.

Old 13-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Unregistered

Hi Guys,

I have a big 4 offer for Management consulting in London. I'm just wondering whether the London experience would be valuable or I would be better off coming back home.

Old 14-03-2015, 01:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm from one of the local university and I can testify that there are MBB fresh hires. However, the number of hires is extremely low (probably ~10 from M+B+B) for all local unis combined. I haven't heard of any getting into M though. I'm referring to the actual FO consulting position.

I will not provide any further details on the graduating students who obtained the offer for the sake of confidentiality. This is the internet; believing me or not is up to you. I don't stand to benefit from it in any way. Happy to answer any other forms of queries if you have though.
This has got to be a joke. All I am asking for is since you claim you even know some of these so called management consultants from MBB in just this season's hiring alone, surely we should be able to find traces of them online.

We are talking about public linkedin profiles here, what confidentialty are you going on about? Please don't tell me that all these supposed fresh local uni management consultants have all vanished without even a trace online? I have briefly looked through linkedin, I don't find any. Seems rather coincident that all these local uni hires have no public profile and all very confidential.

BTW I also notice your sleight of hand in changing positions without really admitting. Earlier on you proclaim with confidence about local uni hires in MC roles in MBB. When challenged by another poster that he knows of no fresh hire MC from local uni from McKinsey, suddenly now you change tune and say you know of 10 but all just happen not to be in McKinsey, so am I to assume these 10 secretive individuals whom you know of without any online presence are all from BCG or Bain?

Old 14-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
This has got to be a joke. All I am asking for is since you claim you even know some of these so called management consultants from MBB in just this season's hiring alone, surely we should be able to find traces of them online.

We are talking about public linkedin profiles here, what confidentialty are you going on about? Please don't tell me that all these supposed fresh local uni management consultants have all vanished without even a trace online? I have briefly looked through linkedin, I don't find any. Seems rather coincident that all these local uni hires have no public profile and all very confidential.

BTW I also notice your sleight of hand in changing positions without really admitting. Earlier on you proclaim with confidence about local uni hires in MC roles in MBB. When challenged by another poster that he knows of no fresh hire MC from local uni from McKinsey, suddenly now you change tune and say you know of 10 but all just happen not to be in McKinsey, so am I to assume these 10 secretive individuals whom you know of without any online presence are all from BCG or Bain?
Chill dude.. Just fyi, I'm a different person from the other guy. This is the first time that I'm posting on this thread.

I just did a quick search on google. Not sure why the other poster did not manage to find any. Just search "(Mck/Bain/BCG) (smu/ntu/nus) linkedin". You can find many examples around. Here's an example:
s://sg.linkedin.com/pub/ren-liang-tan/8a/914/89a

There are many more profiles around.
Old 14-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Chill dude.. Just fyi, I'm a different person from the other guy. This is the first time that I'm posting on this thread.

I just did a quick search on google. Not sure why the other poster did not manage to find any. Just search "(Mck/Bain/BCG) (smu/ntu/nus) linkedin". You can find many examples around. Here's an example:
s://sg.linkedin.com/pub/ren-liang-tan/8a/914/89a

There are many more profiles around.
I am the original person who mentioned that I know of local grads in MBB and the person above is someone else. Not sure why you are getting so worked up over this matter, as a simple LinkedIn search similar to what the above poster suggested brings up several local grads working in MBB.

Like he said, chill... there really is no need to be upset. Were you rejected by MBB?
Old 15-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
All these rankings will just show whatever they want depending on what methdology they use. Heck even the likes of SIA/Keppel/Singtel gets ranked top employer of choice in some surveys, but go out into the job market and see who really if get offered by investment banks, o&g majors, top IT firms etc will give up and join SIA/Keppel/Singtel.
Actually, there are lots of MBB consultants in Singtel, especially from M. A simple Google search would yield such results. There are those who crossed over from the junior to managing partner (both SG and APAC) levels to occupy junior to senior positions. There isn't much of a difference in terms of the treatment they get when they cross over actually as compared to executives who crossed over from other MNCs. I guess they must have their own reasons for deciding to give up management consulting and choose a local firm over some other supposedly top MNCs. Perhaps these consultants don't stick to certain narrowly defined notions of 'prestige' and decide to make a switch based on rankings like Forbes 2000 largest companies?

Old 17-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually, there are lots of MBB consultants in Singtel, especially from M. A simple Google search would yield such results. There are those who crossed over from the junior to managing partner (both SG and APAC) levels to occupy junior to senior positions. There isn't much of a difference in terms of the treatment they get when they cross over actually as compared to executives who crossed over from other MNCs. I guess they must have their own reasons for deciding to give up management consulting and choose a local firm over some other supposedly top MNCs. Perhaps these consultants don't stick to certain narrowly defined notions of 'prestige' and decide to make a switch based on rankings like Forbes 2000 largest companies?
Nope, they switch because it is a bigger position for them. Many of these MBB who came to Singtel and relatively junior guys in their previous firms. They come in here, take up executive positions together with a pay raise. It is actually another career move for them.

For e.g. there is this guy who came from BCG, he is about late 30s, a junior partner probably at the career end. He come to Singtel, take up a VP position get all the perks, shares and bonus of a executive and not to mention damm lots of people below him in his department. A typical deg grad that join Singtel from scratch will not even smell a Director at this age, not to mention a VP.
Old 17-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

Default 3rd party

Im not surprised at all MBB hires local grads (the top ones of course) as some are in Goldman Sachs as well. And Ibankers make even more than consultants. Peace Out.
Old 18-03-2015, 01:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nope, they switch because it is a bigger position for them. Many of these MBB who came to Singtel and relatively junior guys in their previous firms. They come in here, take up executive positions together with a pay raise. It is actually another career move for them.

For e.g. there is this guy who came from BCG, he is about late 30s, a junior partner probably at the career end. He come to Singtel, take up a VP position get all the perks, shares and bonus of a executive and not to mention damm lots of people below him in his department. A typical deg grad that join Singtel from scratch will not even smell a Director at this age, not to mention a VP.
Some people are old and don't want to fight it out at consulting firms. Over there you need to be a high performer else you may be shown the door. The major consulting firms all practise "up or out", which means if you don't get promoted in 2-3 years you are asked to leave. This guy probably decided to chill out and enjoy the last 15-20 years of his career after fighting for the first 15 years.
Old 18-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Cool. What's the name of this VP? I might know him or have friends in Singtel who do.

That was what I read online too, that MBB Consultants who cross over to join corporate firms do so at a higher level but I realised over the years in various large MNCs/local GLCs that in reality, unless they are really good at strategy (in which case they would be treated in the same way as their non-consulting superstars in most companies), otherwise most of them assume a role at a level similar to someone who jumps in from another corporate firm.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app