Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Need career advice

Old 14-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Verified Member

kim1995 is on a distinguished road

May I ask, what tech company is this?

There are good companies out there with nice people. Tech is not the same as other industries, you don't put up with nonsense / BS at work anymore... reputable tech companies monitor work ethics etc very closely...

at least in my experience I've never had this problem.

Also you've not started working... and it's mid december. Do you seriously want to find another job just because of this 1 guy? you said that you applied to 50+ places and this is your only offer...

Looks to me like you don't have a choice. Stick it out for a year or two and job hop after that if it's still a problem.

Old 15-12-2021, 01:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwawaya View Post
Currently a fresh grad here and starting my first job in Jan. Someone I knew got offered in the same company as I am, starting the same date and role. However, his work ethics and personal attributes just puts me off greatly. I am even thinking of applying other positions elsewhere just because of this. Is this a silly move of my part? Or should I embrace it and take it as a learning opportunity. I can't foresee working together with him in the long run.
Bro I also in same dilemma but slightly different. My team mates too capable till I don’t know how.

Old 15-12-2021, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Currently a fresh grad here and starting my first job in Jan. Someone I knew got offered in the same company as I am, starting the same date and role. However, his work ethics and personal attributes just puts me off greatly. I am even thinking of applying other positions elsewhere just because of this. Is this a silly move of my part? Or should I embrace it and take it as a learning opportunity. I can't foresee working together with him in the long run.
I've got news for you. You'll meet a lot more of such characters in your working life. Worse, they gonna get promoted faster than you because they are very likely better at schmoozing the bosses. So, take this from someone who's been through all this: Don't walk away from a good job at a reputable company because of them, especially so early on in your career. You don't have to like them, just make sure you don't be the ones they step on to get ahead. In the meantime, make the most out of your own job to learn and squeeze as much out of the company as you can. Move when you are good and ready to go to a better place on your own terms. Leave the suckers to stew in their own sh*t. What happens after to them is no longer your concern.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:50 PM

Cleinad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
u're a classic strawberry. deal with it and don't just quit a job because u cannot stand ur colleagues. learn from it. grow and become a stronger person.dont just run. u will definitely come across such toxic people the next time round. do u quit again?
Old 08-02-2022, 12:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleinad View Post
u're a classic strawberry. deal with it and don't just quit a job because u cannot stand ur colleagues. learn from it. grow and become a stronger person.dont just run. u will definitely come across such toxic people the next time round. do u quit again?
Truly Singaporean mindset!

Bad environment? don't be strawberry bro, grind through it!

your mental health can't take it? wa lao you strawberry boy what u gonna do ? run ? run to the other 100 tech companies u can join ? nah bro just stay and suffer! job hop? nah bro! learn from your toxic teammates! wow so smart.

Truly sinkie mindset. No wonder top 3 most depressed country.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:26 AM

gurlInTech is on a distinguished road

Whenever I felt stressed, I will close my eyes and take a deep breath and imagine if I am 10-20 years older and look back at my problems now, what will I think of myself . Most of the time the issues at hand are actually not that significant in a long run.

I ran away from a company offer once cauz there was a senior guy I accidentally offended back in my school days whom will be my new boss in the company if I joined. That’s a decision that I took. I got a better job afterwards. (Coward decision)

My friends sometimes told me that they knew someone they hated for a long time joined their department. After passing probation they feedback to their boss they would not want to work in the same projects as the said other as much as possible and most bosses are actually quite kind about it. Later at work there was someone I absolutely wouldn’t work with and my boss was pretty supportive of my concerns and I never worked with that guy anymore. (Facing the problem)

To stay professional at work its best you don’t gossip about that guy to your colleagues and only feedback to your boss and only cite your reasons when prompted.

Many tech roles are partially or fully wfh now so technically you won’t see him that often. If its still too stressful for you to even tahan even a bit then just raise to your boss asap, or look for company’s healthcare benefits for a counsellor to talk to.

Take cares young one.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurlInTech View Post
Whenever I felt stressed, I will close my eyes and take a deep breath and imagine if I am 10-20 years older and look back at my problems now, what will I think of myself . Most of the time the issues at hand are actually not that significant in a long run.

I ran away from a company offer once cauz there was a senior guy I accidentally offended back in my school days whom will be my new boss in the company if I joined. That’s a decision that I took. I got a better job afterwards. (Coward decision)

My friends sometimes told me that they knew someone they hated for a long time joined their department. After passing probation they feedback to their boss they would not want to work in the same projects as the said other as much as possible and most bosses are actually quite kind about it. Later at work there was someone I absolutely wouldn’t work with and my boss was pretty supportive of my concerns and I never worked with that guy anymore. (Facing the problem)

To stay professional at work its best you don’t gossip about that guy to your colleagues and only feedback to your boss and only cite your reasons when prompted.

Many tech roles are partially or fully wfh now so technically you won’t see him that often. If its still too stressful for you to even tahan even a bit then just raise to your boss asap, or look for company’s healthcare benefits for a counsellor to talk to.

Take cares young one.
If in a lean team unavoidable how? Die die must work together? Run?
Old 08-02-2022, 09:27 AM

gurlInTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmmm I re-read TS post again that guy is just joining the same company and not exactly might be even same department or role. Plus coding at work, individual contribution is very distinct and cannot be run away with Git. If that guy is “following crowd” to join company X, probably means this company is not exactly that small also. Thus lean team is not exactly relevant as always can nego with the manager.

Unless so suay until only 2 of them work on the same project, which I doubt is highly likely since they both graduated at the same time and needed a mentor at work.

External stress is inevitable, if we aren’t able to handle them then its okay to seek help whether through your manager or counsellor to manage your stress better.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Explain to me why the hell do you need to stay in a trash toxic company?

Explain to me. Word by word.

You are either

1. So trash that you can't find another job.
2. Some sick pervert who gets off on being in a toxic environment.

Either way seek help. Go to a hospital. You're mentally insane. Imagine staying at a job you hate, knowing you hate it yet you stay for whatever psychopathic reason.

Also a company that lumps you with a intern or a new employee to work on something is a trash company. How stupid is this? Both of you new, both of you don't know, both of you work together? wtf? no mentor? no senior staffs to guide?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 08-02-2022, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

Please seek help. Don't stay at horrible companies... really.

Just work on your interview skills after working hours, then slowly start to find a new job. Don't quit your current job yet, it's always easier to find new jobs when you have a job. It's also less stressful.