Getting MBA worth? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Getting MBA worth?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
dun_waste_time is on a distinguished road
Default Getting MBA worth?

Hi

I thinking of getting a MBA and hopefully do a mid-life career switch. I'm (guy) currently 30, earnings of 5k a month.

I'm currently doing IT Projects Management, and i want to go into more business management role. However since i do not have any prior experience, i conclude that i would have to go for a school with better career services.

I'm currently considering Insead and SMU. I know the cost is vastly different, however SMU offer internship during their MBA program. which will definitely prepare me.

Insead on the other hand, (i heard) have excellent career services.

Oh another point, i'm looking to do the MBA full time, so preferably due to financial constraints, i'm looking at 1 year MBAs.

However i'm still weighing on it as
1) It does not guarantee me a business management position,
2) worse, because of my non-existence experience, i will not be considered for a business role.

I would like to ask, whether how possible is it for an IT grad, taking MBA and switching over to a more business like portfolio (example Business strategic planning etc) .

Any other MBA program to recommend?

Thanks


Last edited by dun_waste_time; 09-02-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun_waste_time View Post
Hi

I thinking of getting a MBA and hopefully do a mid-life career switch. I'm (guy) currently 30, earnings of 5k a month.

I'm currently doing IT Projects Management, and i want to go into more business management role. However since i do not have any prior experience, i conclude that i would have to go for a school with better career services.

I'm currently considering Insead and SMU. I know the cost is vastly different, however SMU offer internship during their MBA program. which will definitely prepare me.

Insead on the other hand, (i heard) have excellent career services.

Oh another point, i'm looking to do the MBA full time, so preferably due to financial constraints, i'm looking at 1 year MBAs.

However i'm still weighing on it as
1) It does not guarantee me a business management position,
2) worse, because of my non-existence experience, i will not be considered for a business role.

I would like to ask, whether how possible is it for an IT grad, taking MBA and switching over to a more business like portfolio (example Business strategic planning etc) .

Any other MBA program to recommend?

Thanks
Choose Insead!! You won't go wrong with the school's excellent branding anywhere in the world .... If you choose the cheaper but more "ulu" SMU, no different from burning your money and dumping it into the ocean...

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Honestly, I am not sure if an MBA is worth it. Sorry but I am speaking from my personal experience.

I got my MBA from a local uni 4 years ago. My pay has since doubled. However, my pay doubled not because I got an MBA (my company is not interested if you got an MBA) but more from my job performance.

Maybe somewhere out there, there will be someone/some company that might appreciate my MBA. So far, I have yet to find it.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Honestly, I am not sure if an MBA is worth it. Sorry but I am speaking from my personal experience.

I got my MBA from a local uni 4 years ago. My pay has since doubled. However, my pay doubled not because I got an MBA (my company is not interested if you got an MBA) but more from my job performance.

Maybe somewhere out there, there will be someone/some company that might appreciate my MBA. So far, I have yet to find it.
did your MBA help you to improve your performance?

many people say schooling is useless, but maybe the training you received help to re-wire certain parts of your brain and that helps in becoming a better working professional?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Honestly, I am not sure if an MBA is worth it. Sorry but I am speaking from my personal experience.

I got my MBA from a local uni 4 years ago. My pay has since doubled. However, my pay doubled not because I got an MBA (my company is not interested if you got an MBA) but more from my job performance.

Maybe somewhere out there, there will be someone/some company that might appreciate my MBA. So far, I have yet to find it.
Doubling pay in 4 years in the same company... what's your secret?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Doubling pay in 4 years in the same company... what's your secret?
Possessing a MBA definitely changes the management's outlook on an employee.. It's a fact that in Singapore, that more highly educated you are, the more well regarded you will be by Singapore employers... It will put you at some advantage when they are look to raise up a leader for management role...
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

taking a MBA for a career switch is rather difficult. and the brandname of SMU is not as good as overseas big uni.

I suggest a few things you can do;
-explore within your company if you can take on projects or opportunity to move to the area you want to
-start looking and talking to headhunters/recruiters about what you want to do and get some advice. Dont just rely on 1 headhunter, get a few and get different perspective
-is there a role model or someone you aspire to be? If so, have a chat with that person and ask for advice on how to get where he got to

You will be surprised that many are very happy to talk about themselves and give advice if you go with sincerity and humility.

It is a big decision to undertake MBA as it costs money and also opportunity costs. One word of advice is before you do any course, check out RECRUIT on ST, or websites to see if there are any jobs you can take and what are the requirements to get a sense of reality. Otherwise, you are just wasting money, getting frustrated and in the end back to square one.

Good luck bro
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Doubling pay in 4 years in the same company... what's your secret?
$1000 become $2000?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
dun_waste_time is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
taking a MBA for a career switch is rather difficult. and the brandname of SMU is not as good as overseas big uni.

I suggest a few things you can do;
-explore within your company if you can take on projects or opportunity to move to the area you want to
-start looking and talking to headhunters/recruiters about what you want to do and get some advice. Dont just rely on 1 headhunter, get a few and get different perspective
-is there a role model or someone you aspire to be? If so, have a chat with that person and ask for advice on how to get where he got to

You will be surprised that many are very happy to talk about themselves and give advice if you go with sincerity and humility.

It is a big decision to undertake MBA as it costs money and also opportunity costs. One word of advice is before you do any course, check out RECRUIT on ST, or websites to see if there are any jobs you can take and what are the requirements to get a sense of reality. Otherwise, you are just wasting money, getting frustrated and in the end back to square one.

Good luck bro
Thanks for all the advice. Bro i do understand where you are coming from. Most of us have somewhere we would want to end up in life. For myself, i know that i can do better than what i'm currently handling.

However it's sometime frustrating that no one would offer you a chance. I thought of giving up, just continue on my course of work. But i would be letting myself down. I'm not a scholar, but i believe i can perform as well as some of them.

Therefore i decided to give myself one more chance with the MBA. Hopefully, i can then earn myself that opportunity that i have always wanted...

I know that MBA might not be the solution, but it's one of the better options for me now...

Thanks to all the Bros..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I totally understand how you feel and where you are coming from; I was at a similar cross-road 10years ago.

I think all the previous posts raised very pertinent issues. Just a few more thoughts:

1) Outside of financial institutions (IB, S&T) and consulting firms, it's generally the MNCs and the big local companies (even then, less so) who will compensate you for the MBA.

2) Therefore, have you considered doing your MBA outside of Singapore - where the market for such talent is broader and to be near the MNCs/ companies who will value your MBA. Also, they will recruit you to come back to Asia (if that is where you want to work)

3) However, given the current economic climate, getting a job in US/Europe/HK might be challenging. So you might want to consider delaying your MBA for 1/2 years

4) I will urged you to think of this as a "5-yr project". Beyond the 1/2 years that you will spend geting your degree, the remaining 3/4 years are when you "reap" the benefits and/or get the jump from getting the MBA. From speaking with people who had gone through this route, you will find the biggest delta you will get is the first few years. After which, its again down to how you perform. This is not to say performance/working hard is not important in the first few years, but just that that's when the degree is most useful in helping you open doors etc

5) As you are thinking of doing a mid-career switch, doing an MBA will be trememdously helpful as it acts as a "re-set button". However, be prepared for many rejections and have a good story to tell.

6) Network, network, network. Jobs rarely come to you. But you will be surprised what is out there/who is hiring once you start talking to people.

7) When the chips are down and things are rough, always remember - you only need one person to see your talent, one person who believes in you, and one person who will give you an opportunity.....ONE job (though it will be nice to be armed with nth number of offers). So do not be despair (and I assure you there will be many moments during this journey when you will question why you went down this [email protected]!)

Lastly. Be clear headed. Be very sure why you are doing this and what you want to get out of this. Have a plan, do not look back, and GO. good luck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats your net worth Avatar Investments and Net Worth 2682 22-10-2019 03:27 PM
Net worth? Mine is negative. debt Investments and Net Worth 31 12-05-2014 01:57 PM
Calculate Net Worth and Benchmark It Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 15 20-06-2013 03:58 PM
What is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays? pstarz Education and Personal Growth 20 06-02-2011 02:16 AM
legal profession not worth it? alarme Income and Jobs 3 05-04-2010 04:35 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,927 Replies, 1,313,945 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,838 Replies, 5,032,878 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
940 Replies, 774,323 Views
Advice Needed
2 Replies, 278 Views
Civil Servant Year-End Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
42 Replies, 6,392 Views
Telcos in Singapore
4 Replies, 354 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
352 Replies, 157,012 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,830 Replies, 3,555,547 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,046 Replies, 460,993 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
96 Replies, 68,976 Views
How much pay cut should i take? ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,306 Views
Which Skillsfuture courses do you... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 34,744 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
235 Replies, 36,165 Views
How useful is CMFAS in improving... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 23,268 Views
Career progression for warehouse...
4 Replies, 2,205 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
865 Replies, 681,189 Views
Anyone work for Casino (RWS/MBS) ?... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 3,381 Views
GIC-Working Culture ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 27,365 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
317 Replies, 246,105 Views
Data Science Landscape in SG
3 Replies, 889 Views
Exxonmobil Commercial Track ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 7,661 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,578 Replies, 942,861 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,740 Replies, 796,054 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 40,282 Views
Finding a job and your salary
7 Replies, 789 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
790 Replies, 402,021 Views
New Job Offer that only match...
8 Replies, 723 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
98 Replies, 112,681 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2