What is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




What is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
pstarz is on a distinguished road
Default What is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays?

Hi guys,

I graduated 1st class and did my masters at NTU. I am working at a back office job (operations) in an investment bank but I would like to move to front office.

I really want to go into the front office - IB/sales/trading/MA
I was recently offered a place into Cambridge MPhil (Judge business school programmes, it is not a finance degree)

I've been working for 1 year already and my salary is $57k/year. The thing is programme at cambridge is gonna cost me at least $60k for 9 months.

I would like to ask what is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays? Is it worth it getting another masters degree? or should i do an MBA later (but im not sure if i can get into any of these top schools)?

Dont wanna spend 60k for nothing...

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstarz View Post
Hi guys,

I graduated 1st class and did my masters at NTU. I am working at a back office job (operations) in an investment bank but I would like to move to front office.

I really want to go into the front office - IB/sales/trading/MA
I was recently offered a place into Cambridge MPhil (Judge business school programmes, it is not a finance degree)

I've been working for 1 year already and my salary is $57k/year. The thing is programme at cambridge is gonna cost me at least $60k for 9 months.

I would like to ask what is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays? Is it worth it getting another masters degree? or should i do an MBA later (but im not sure if i can get into any of these top schools)?

Dont wanna spend 60k for nothing...
It's still worth a lot. My HK friend did a masters in a non-finance course in a LSE, worked for a good bank in London for a year or so, and then worked in front office jobs in HK ever since. Another SG friend did a masters in a not-so-good UK uni, but she still managed to get well-paid jobs doing strategic stuff (eg M&A) with MNCs and is now a private banker.

The 60k is def worth it if you don't want to stay in back office forever.

Moreover, the timing is about right. Economy should be more stable by the time you graduate.

Congrats on getting into Cambridge and enjoy your time studying again!

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hmm.. I don't quite agree that an oxbridge degree is worth much. If it is a business degree that you are after, you are better off in LBS than in Judge. Once you take a business degree, you will be lump together with the other MBAs in the league table and Judge is ranked quite low in the league table. You also have to consider the current market environment. We recently had an opening for associate position and had tons of application. Priority were given to stanford, Harvard, IMD, INSEAD, the top few. Judge has some appeal if you plan to work in London for a while and use that experience to leap frog back to Asia. If not, I would advise you to give it a miss.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
pstarz is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks. A friend of mine knows someone who went to MIT (yep the real MIT) and he had a back office job just like me, he then completed an MBA from NTU, and could not find anything other than another back office job in a different foreign bank after graduation last year

My reservations are:
- I know IB guys work 24/7 and I am not sure if I can take the pressure. I want to be paid well, what are the other industries can i explore besides the ones that are well known for slave driving (Consulting and IB firms) Plus, I don't know anyone at the top, and ive heard most of these jobs are gotten through connections.

- If i were to get a cambridge degree, how much weight would HR put on it? I also don't wanna look like a goofball having 3 degrees and seemingly overqualified? I know people who had masters (CFA Level 3 included) had to remove them from their CVs because local banks told them that they were overqualified? Oh gosh..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstarz View Post
Thanks. A friend of mine knows someone who went to MIT (yep the real MIT) and he had a back office job just like me, he then completed an MBA from NTU, and could not find anything other than another back office job in a different foreign bank after graduation last year

My reservations are:
- I know IB guys work 24/7 and I am not sure if I can take the pressure. I want to be paid well, what are the other industries can i explore besides the ones that are well known for slave driving (Consulting and IB firms) Plus, I don't know anyone at the top, and ive heard most of these jobs are gotten through connections.

- If i were to get a cambridge degree, how much weight would HR put on it? I also don't wanna look like a goofball having 3 degrees and seemingly overqualified? I know people who had masters (CFA Level 3 included) had to remove them from their CVs because local banks told them that they were overqualified? Oh gosh..
Your MIT friend should have gone back to MIT for a masters. I believe you other friends also did not have masters from reputable UK/US universities. With all respect, NUS and NTU are too overrated. That said, SMU is the most overrated of all! haha...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I know many pple who wants to go for the big bucks in front office. Here are my personal thoughts;

For pple who have a few years experience working and wants to get into front office, get a top MBA from a top top university (ivy league). Banks take in MBA graduates yearly and you stand a very good chance to get in (even though you have no prior experience working in front office).

CFA to me, does not add as much value as a top MBA. So either you want to do it, do a full time MBA (save and shrimp for it) and then go for big bucks.

Worst scenerio is to do a neither here nor there MBA from a mid-tier school and find yourself in the same place.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

1) on the backoffice versus front office/IB. besides having good qualifications, personality counts and personal network counts a lot. Some people are just not used to the dealing/wheeling type of environment. It is not just about getting into good schools, I have seen people average qualification doing exceptionally well. Personal family background counts a lot as well. the bankers in China/HK invariably have powerful family background to help them clinch deals. Those matter more than just a Harvard or MIT degree.

2) on that friend of yours who went to MIT and MBA/NTU. Really, he should have continued his program in US. I figure he/she was taking a practical route, but he should have just save up a bit more and go back to US for another program. taking an MBA from a local schools diminishes the MIT degree. Or let me put it another way, someone who went to NTU and followed by a master degree in MIT has better appeal than the other way round. I had a friend who did his NTU engineering degree followed by MIT (MSc). He went to Mckinsey and his career was outstanding ever since. I know it shouldn't be the case, as the MIT undergraduate program is really tough. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to be a IB. you need to smart enough but also street smart to be a good IB. Taking a MIT and reversing back to NTU, does say a lot about this guy.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
... Taking a MIT and reversing back to NTU, does say a lot about this guy.
He's saying you're stupid!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
pstarz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
He's saying you're stupid!
That's not me. If I had an undergrad qualification from MIT, I too, would have chosen for a top tier MBA programme. Unfortunately for my friend, he is settled over here and has 2 lovely new borns. He is also taking care of his parents, whose health is not so well. I find it rather offensive to call someone stupid before understanding his situation fully.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your MIT friend should have gone back to MIT for a masters. I believe you other friends also did not have masters from reputable UK/US universities. With all respect, NUS and NTU are too overrated. That said, SMU is the most overrated of all! haha...
I work for a bulge bracket IB and the only Singapore-educated graduates that we have taken in are from SMU. NUS and NTU kids just didn't seem to have the business sense of the SMU grads.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats your net worth Avatar Investments and Net Worth 2903 23-01-2022 11:46 PM
Calculate Net Worth and Benchmark It Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 15 20-06-2013 02:58 PM
legal profession not worth it? alarme Income and Jobs 3 05-04-2010 03:35 PM
Should a degree holder in marketing take up a job in established security firm? zhangfeiz Income and Jobs 12 29-07-2009 11:44 AM
Degree holder - is your Income above the Median? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 18 23-01-2009 06:55 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,514 Replies, 2,773,347 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,316 Replies, 364,190 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
558 Replies, 194,558 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,775 Replies, 492,586 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
339 Replies, 353,638 Views
What are the signs that your boss... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 652 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,698 Replies, 5,390,763 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,364 Replies, 2,826,607 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
644 Replies, 503,818 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,475 Replies, 1,624,041 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
363 Replies, 67,762 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
960 Replies, 319,859 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,845 Replies, 2,240,583 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,314 Replies, 1,704,850 Views
Working in SMRT ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 23,101 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
394 Replies, 134,759 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
219 Replies, 166,573 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
45 Replies, 30,092 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,390 Replies, 7,911,801 Views
Cpf senior manager ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 3,040 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
490 Replies, 96,313 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,149 Replies, 641,189 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,201 Replies, 1,383,508 Views
Suitable job recommendations
3 Replies, 238 Views
Mid career switch - social worker
4 Replies, 2,184 Views
Htx ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
62 Replies, 8,827 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
446 Replies, 421,216 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,089 Replies, 801,164 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 137,290 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2