Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 25-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

wah seh...idea sia

1) apply for PR and accumulate the CPF

2) negotiate with boss when colleagues are away for reservist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree...

Quite easy for foreigners like us to make a living here. Shall share an old trick here. I intentionally tendered my resignation when my colleague is away on a 3 week reservist training stint, knowing very well that my boss will in turn offer me a better remuneration package. But I got more than what I had bargained for... a promotion! The guys in my company always grumble about their reservist liabilities, but I am not complaining

Old 25-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Unregistered

Default in similar shoes

Quote:
just wondering whether the civil service will ask 'low performing' directors to go?

I have one director who used to be from the private sector, but I think has since been confirmed. He leaves office punctually at 6pm and if s/he attends external meeting, s/he will not return back to office for any meeting ending after 4.30pm. When I get recognition from others, s/he tries to put me down or admonishes me for not informing him/her of what I’m doing. When I do send him/her e-mails, s/he frequently need me to remind him to respond or misses my emails totally.

I think s/he is affecting my productivity and speed of delivering results. How? S/he is probably semi-retirement but I do not want to slack leh because I haven't reach CEP. I still want my MI and PB leh
hi pal, i think you are stuck in an unenviable situation which is not uncommon in the civil service, speaking from my experience. seldom will low performing personnel, regardless of level, would be asked to leave; usually that happens due to gross misconduct.

if i were in your situation, i would probably think how to handle the boss better since now i know his/her pattern, e.g. respond/ get answers before it is required from your boss. if you have not tried, it may help to talk directly to your boss about what is bothering you, in terms of being micro-managed and be allowed to improve your productivity. let him/her know how you can perform better if you are being more empowered. however, be tactful during the conversation and dont make your boss feel that you are being insubordinate.

i'm sure your boss also reports to his/her boss. thus, if you have chance to feedback to someone of a higher seniority than your boss, i would recommend to feedback your concerns in a polite manner. this should be considered if there are no improvements following your talk with your boss.

you can also request for internal postings, but i would think that as a last resort.
take it easy, think carefully before making any rash decisions

Old 25-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
another note. one of my gf old pals just got offer to join moe stat board, non teaching ie admin staff. however, this guy is gay. the fool is thinking of coming clean with HR re his orientation. !! i told my gf to tell him not to mention this to anyone! i know i'm right but just want bros confirmation here to prove to my gf that i'm not in the minority.
i think there is no requirement in the job application portal (career@gov) to indicate the individual's sexual preference. just don't get involved in relationships openly in the office with other colleagues (hetero or homosexual-wise) and i think no will one will be bothered by the fact that he is gay. personally i think there is no need to do so.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 26-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Incognito

Default Break contract

Hey guys. This is an incredibly informative thread. I went through all 250+ pages. Really appreciate the efforts of those who post here.

I have a question. If I have already signed a letter of appointment with one of the ministries (not MOE), then another offer comes along and it is much better and therefore I want to take this other offer, can I do that without fear of repercussions? Can I be sued or anything serous like that?
Old 26-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

won't be sued.

But perhaps they will ask u about it if u do join civil service again in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Hey guys. This is an incredibly informative thread. I went through all 250+ pages. Really appreciate the efforts of those who post here.

I have a question. If I have already signed a letter of appointment with one of the ministries (not MOE), then another offer comes along and it is much better and therefore I want to take this other offer, can I do that without fear of repercussions? Can I be sued or anything serous like that?

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 26-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Unregistered

When civil service HR tells you that after rejection that "your resume will be kept in our database for future roles, kept for reference etc" is it all just meaningless motherhood statements?

Have anyone ever come across a miracle case whereby you kena rejected and suddenly get offered the role later? I for one, got rejected by N** university initially but was accepted 2 months later during the appeal phase.

I personally attended 4 civil service interviews, got shortlisted to 2nd round for 2 of them and one of them reached until salary discussion and 'approval from superiors' phase, but still rejected after 2-3weeks.

Or am i judging too early? Will I only get offers after 8-10 interviews?
Really feeling ccb. I have a sparkling new N** degree but still bloody jobless for >3months. fresh grad here.

Old 26-02-2013, 10:21 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When civil service HR tells you that after rejection that "your resume will be kept in our database for future roles, kept for reference etc" is it all just meaningless motherhood statements?

Have anyone ever come across a miracle case whereby you kena rejected and suddenly get offered the role later? I for one, got rejected by N** university initially but was accepted 2 months later during the appeal phase.

I personally attended 4 civil service interviews, got shortlisted to 2nd round for 2 of them and one of them reached until salary discussion and 'approval from superiors' phase, but still rejected after 2-3weeks.

Or am i judging too early? Will I only get offers after 8-10 interviews?
Really feeling ccb. I have a sparkling new N** degree but still bloody jobless for >3months. fresh grad here.
Hi. Which ministries or stat boards u applied to for that 4 interviews? I couldn't believe until the final stage of the interview you are still rejected. Ur sparkling Nxx degree and how sparkling is it? First class hons?

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 26-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Incognito

Quote:
won't be sued.

But perhaps they will ask u about it if u do join civil service again in future.
Thanks for the quick answer! Well the thing is, what if you sign a LOA with one ministry, then later on another ministry comes along and makes a better offer, then you break the LOA with the first ministry, then how? Will there be a problem?
Old 26-02-2013, 11:11 PM

wern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 View Post
Hi. Which ministries or stat boards u applied to for that 4 interviews? I couldn't believe until the final stage of the interview you are still rejected. Ur sparkling Nxx degree and how sparkling is it? First class hons?
Pass (merit).
My grades were 0.1 away from 2nd lower.

1. Treasury Building Ministry - this one was rotten from the start. Went into the room, got blasted by the DD and Head. No surprise abt the result after 2 weeks. at least they (or rather the HR lady) had the courtesy to make a rejection phonecall.

2. Environment Building - This was the one where I got to the final stage.
3. WDA - got to 2nd round, rejected
4. Ministry X (just finished their case study assignment now waiting for interview so I can't tell you which one).

For No.2 I also cannot believe. Freaking wasted my time chasing them for 2 whole weeks for an answer, as I was mentally preparing to tender my resignation from my contract job at that time. Seems quite bizarre to me that they need "superior's approval" to reject someone. My only guess is that it was a very close call between me and the other guy.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by wern View Post
1. Treasury Building Ministry - this one was rotten from the start. Went into the room, got blasted by the DD and Head. No surprise abt the result after 2 weeks. at least they (or rather the HR lady) had the courtesy to make a rejection phonecall.
You got blasted by the DD and Head? I'm guessing it might be because you didn't prepare well for the interview? Or were they just generally hostile from the start of the interview, for no particular reason?