31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 42
jiaklatliao is on a distinguished road
Default 31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp

hello, i am 31 yo liao, i dropped out of a levels/poly, then went on to do a completely online degree from the uk, afterwards realised cannot use it to find job in singapore. so i left singapore and worked in malaysia teaching english for 5 years. recently, i realised i am losing out and there is no future in this line so now i want to go back to sg to work on my office based career, i hope to earn 3-5k each month that is good enough for me, start a family, work in a stable job, save cpf for retirement.

i know my online diploma and degree are not recognised (although they are accredited uk degrees) so i decided to go back to school for the next 1-4 years then go into job market.

now i have been accepted into 2 courses.

1. james cook university singapore campus 1 year bachelors commerce degree (they gave me advanced standing of 2 years)

2. pursue a 4 year phd in hong kong (top 50 university in the world) with minimal student stipend.

which one do you think i should go after? my point of doing another degree is to cover my online degree and apply for jobs in sg, government jobs, or etc. i will only use the jcu degree after i graduate.

as for the phd, it is very enticing to give it a try but it is a long hard road, and my online degree will still be under it, will that affect my job search in sg if i graduate?

goal in life is just to find any business related job, best is banking or marketing, and earn 3-5k each month, start a family, settle down.



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
hello, i am 31 yo liao, i dropped out of a levels/poly, then went on to do a completely online degree from the uk, afterwards realised cannot use it to find job in singapore. so i left singapore and worked in malaysia teaching english for 5 years. recently, i realised i am losing out and there is no future in this line so now i want to go back to sg to work on my office based career, i hope to earn 3-5k each month that is good enough for me, start a family, work in a stable job, save cpf for retirement.

i know my online diploma and degree are not recognised (although they are accredited uk degrees) so i decided to go back to school for the next 1-4 years then go into job market.

now i have been accepted into 2 courses.

1. james cook university singapore campus 1 year bachelors commerce degree (they gave me advanced standing of 2 years)

2. pursue a 4 year phd in hong kong (top 50 university in the world) with minimal student stipend.

which one do you think i should go after? my point of doing another degree is to cover my online degree and apply for jobs in sg, government jobs, or etc. i will only use the jcu degree after i graduate.

as for the phd, it is very enticing to give it a try but it is a long hard road, and my online degree will still be under it, will that affect my job search in sg if i graduate?

goal in life is just to find any business related job, best is banking or marketing, and earn 3-5k each month, start a family, settle down.
First question in mind, a top 50 uni in HK accept online degree? i seriously dont think so. well if this post is real, you can pursue a PHD and come back to sg is better then the degree from james cook. Government may or may not consider your PHD as your degree in online course. If they accept you, probably pay will be lower but still will be more then your 3k-5k depending where you go.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 02:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

if you do not even dare to say out the name of ur hk uni, it is just as good as the james cook uni degree.

which is just as good as your current degree.

come on lah. work in what office based career?

y not you continue to apply for poly again?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 42
jiaklatliao is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
First question in mind, a top 50 uni in HK accept online degree? i seriously dont think so. well if this post is real, you can pursue a PHD and come back to sg is better then the degree from james cook. Government may or may not consider your PHD as your degree in online course. If they accept you, probably pay will be lower but still will be more then your 3k-5k depending where you go.
it is real. it is an online diploma and degree but i got good gre scores and the degree itself is fch. phds are easier to get in as very few people want to spend so many years without a job in school, and phd doesn't increase your salary vis a vis a masters.

a local university also shortlisted me, still waiting for results.

the thing is in singapore you guys are so fussy about online offline etc yet only 30% of each cohort can go to local university. so many companies dont 'recognise' my online degree. it is a pain in the ass, so i got to go back to on campus to do basically the same modules again. i made a mistake doing an online degree anyway.

i am not confident about finishing the phd, as 50% don't complete, it is not easy. beside i will be giving up 4 years of income and i will be 35 if i do complete, losing out on more working years?

the jcu degree is just 10 modules and 1 year. after i get it i can do a 1 year masters or most probably work for a few years. you think after i get that degree i can find a entry level banking or marketing job? what are my chances? how about getting into the civil service?

that's all i want to do in life, just 3-5k stable job i am happy.

Last edited by jiaklatliao; 23-02-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Done online or taught online? "Online" degrees got a huge variance. On one end there are those fake ones or retarded ones. On the other hand you have those like UOL that is taught online and self-study but the degree is no different from what SIM people are getting.

So firstly we have to know what and where you got the degree from? Secondly, PhD from HK in what field? And which Uni in HK?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
it is real. it is an online diploma and degree but i got good gre scores and the degree itself is fch. phds are easier to get in as very few people want to spend so many years without a job in school, and phd doesn't increase your salary vis a vis a masters.

a local university also shortlisted me, still waiting for results.

the thing is in singapore you guys are so fussy about online offline etc yet only 30% of each cohort can go to local university. so many companies dont 'recognise' my online degree. it is a pain in the ass, so i got to go back to on campus to do basically the same modules again. i made a mistake doing an online degree anyway.

i am not confident about finishing the phd, as 50% don't complete, it is not easy. beside i will be giving up 4 years of income and i will be 35 if i do complete, losing out on more working years?

the jcu degree is just 10 modules and 1 year. after i get it i can do a 1 year masters or most probably work for a few years. you think after i get that degree i can find a entry level banking or marketing job? what are my chances? how about getting into the civil service?

that's all i want to do in life, just 3-5k stable job i am happy.
i think people need a proof of which local uni shortlisted you before you can get real advice. Because looking at what you've said here, fch or not, it doesnt matter because afterall it is a online degree. getting into CS with james cook degree i think you can just dream on.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 42
jiaklatliao is on a distinguished road
Default

So even after studying in jcu sg campus cannot get into civil service? How about teaching etc? Or mnc job? You guys think possible to find such jobs after jcu?

The phd, i am not sure, but there is a chance to exit with a masters. But seems like a lot of trouble for no money.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 42
jiaklatliao is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Done online or taught online? "Online" degrees got a huge variance. On one end there are those fake ones or retarded ones. On the other hand you have those like UOL that is taught online and self-study but the degree is no different from what SIM people are getting.

So firstly we have to know what and where you got the degree from? Secondly, PhD from HK in what field? And which Uni in HK?
Does it really matter? Finishing the phd and passing the viva will be difficult. Even then, i will be 35, isn't that too old to start saving for family retirement? Continue in academia i got what chance against the ivy league tsinghua guys? Go to post doc or be a researcher pay is only 4 or 5k, if u can get a job. Go to industry, maybe 3 or 4k, no difference from bach.

Seems like a lot of time for little monetary reward.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You need to think in terms of the labour market and pay realities instead of approaching it from an angle of study this study that etc. First, let’s take a look at your situation and expectations.

By the time you finish your HK online PHD, you will be 35 years old with zero experience working in either Singapore or an “office based job”, so in a sense you are like a fresh graduate. Your expectations of 3-5k is approximately the equivalent starting pay of either an entry associate level job in a MNC/public sector or at the higher end, a management program of a foreign bank/mnc or reputable management consultancy.

Who are your competitors in these jobs? Generally 21-24 year old fresh graduates from NUS/SMU/NTU who have various industrial internships and usually 2nd upper or 1st class honours. Some might even be Masters from good universities. You will neither be competitive in academics nor age nor experience. Public sector and MNC is a dead end for you if you ask me.

What about SME? Maybe, but I seriously doubt they will bother with paying anything more than 3k for an executive Private university students who upgraded from diploma and usually have some years of relevant work experience are usually being offered anywhere from 2.4-3k now, it is doubtful that you will be able to go above that. My best guess your online PhD is going to get you ~2.5k at best and even then your chances are not very high considering your age and lack of experience.

What should you do? My advice is stop wasting time and money on generic online degrees, they are not worth anything especially considering your age and lack of experience. What you need is proper relevant skillsets and experience. Go and look for local reputable polytechnic diplomas that are more targeted on a particular skillset. Study them either part time or full time and in the mean time try to get a local based job (even if it is clerical level) to gain some experience and additional income.

After that, you can better reset your career on that skill path and upgrade with relevant certs and degree as you go along. This will mean studying, starting from diploma (1.8-2.2k starting) and working you way up. Stop fantasizing on shortcuts hoping to grab online degrees to slingshot your way past local degree grads, it doesn’t work this way. If it’s that easy everyone would have done it. Why bother to cramp your studies in poly/JC/uni if an online degree gets you there as well?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
So even after studying in jcu sg campus cannot get into civil service? How about teaching etc? Or mnc job? You guys think possible to find such jobs after jcu?

The phd, i am not sure, but there is a chance to exit with a masters. But seems like a lot of trouble for no money.
basically, there is a standard in CS, MNC or teaching. ALL of these requires reputable universities certs. Hence a degree in jcu is really a hard case.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Job Levels & Salary Range at Microsoft Singapore joe2013 Income and Jobs 1 24-05-2013 01:25 PM
Master graduates pay levels? freshboi Income and Jobs 4 24-02-2013 04:19 PM
HR executive (female) (N/O levels) xtrasaver Marketplace and Find Work 0 07-07-2012 02:09 PM
Salary levels for Sr. Managers gvvaidya Income and Jobs 11 21-01-2011 04:00 PM
Private home prices up to pre-crisis levels Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 0 03-07-2007 02:22 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,581 Replies, 5,434,155 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,708 Replies, 778,735 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,611 Replies, 2,367,304 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,151 Replies, 877,212 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,562 Replies, 1,546,910 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,809 Replies, 1,055,244 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 10,652 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
802 Replies, 532,446 Views
Salary working for SEA FP&A... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,154 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
77 Replies, 13,015 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 239,362 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
913 Replies, 737,200 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
348 Replies, 273,790 Views
Anyone worked in singhealth/nhg? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 68,842 Views
New Job Offer that only match... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,992 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,231 Replies, 231,119 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,206 Replies, 1,855,573 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 60,883 Views
MCI and IMDA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 8,171 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
167 Replies, 168,914 Views
Salary negotiation for fresh grads ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 4,041 Views
Invest in D9 new condo
1 Replies, 999 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,971 Replies, 914,911 Views
List of Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
179 Replies, 126,188 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
227 Replies, 43,805 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 20,915 Views
Please Share DBS Average Months...
6 Replies, 782 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 9,795 Views
Do most MNCs pay better than the... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 2,333 Views
Dentist Salary
6 Replies, 5,897 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2