Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - 31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp
View Single Post
Old 23-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
it is real. it is an online diploma and degree but i got good gre scores and the degree itself is fch. phds are easier to get in as very few people want to spend so many years without a job in school, and phd doesn't increase your salary vis a vis a masters.

a local university also shortlisted me, still waiting for results.

the thing is in singapore you guys are so fussy about online offline etc yet only 30% of each cohort can go to local university. so many companies dont 'recognise' my online degree. it is a pain in the ass, so i got to go back to on campus to do basically the same modules again. i made a mistake doing an online degree anyway.

i am not confident about finishing the phd, as 50% don't complete, it is not easy. beside i will be giving up 4 years of income and i will be 35 if i do complete, losing out on more working years?

the jcu degree is just 10 modules and 1 year. after i get it i can do a 1 year masters or most probably work for a few years. you think after i get that degree i can find a entry level banking or marketing job? what are my chances? how about getting into the civil service?

that's all i want to do in life, just 3-5k stable job i am happy.
i think people need a proof of which local uni shortlisted you before you can get real advice. Because looking at what you've said here, fch or not, it doesnt matter because afterall it is a online degree. getting into CS with james cook degree i think you can just dream on.