Pay cut to join Polytechnic or not: 8-year experience and master degree - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Pay cut to join Polytechnic or not: 8-year experience and master degree

Old 23-11-2015, 02:47 PM

ynjuan99 is on a distinguished road
Question Pay cut to join Polytechnic or not: 8-year experience and master degree

I'm an IT folk with 8-year experience, bachelor with NTU and master with NUS.
Recently got an offer from a local Polytechic:
1. non-academic technical role, contract basis, renewable but no guarantee
2. basic pay 6400, PAX 5 (capped at 6740)
3. chance to teach for part-time diploma course possibly

Now hesitating whether to accept or not, as got pay cut of 5~7% basic pay, and even worse would cap the ceiling soon if joining. Also not sure the probability to upgrade to PAX 4.

The hiring manager and HR are too tough to compromise even for a small amount of increment as appreciation of my experience and degree, although they indicated I'm the first candidate they offered. (super frustrated)

Personally I'm fancy over the job scope (at least literally by the job description, but no confident in terms of holistic suitability) and the academic environment as my dream is to teach or research in campus (for some reason I was unable to pursue PhD after university).

So in your opinion, is it worth to go in terms of pay fairness as per basic (as for annual package, HR mentioned average 3 to 4 months, but trustworthy?)? By the way I have family with 2 young kids. Headachy!!!

Old 23-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Unregistered

5-7% pay cut is not a lot.

Old 23-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynjuan99 View Post

Now hesitating whether to accept or not, as got pay cut of 5~7% basic pay, and even worse would cap the ceiling soon if joining. Also not sure the probability to upgrade to PAX 4.

The hiring manager and HR are too tough to compromise even for a small amount of increment as appreciation of my experience and degree, although they indicated I'm the first candidate they offered. (super frustrated)

Personally I'm fancy over the job scope (at least literally by the job description, but no confident in terms of holistic suitability) and the academic environment as my dream is to teach or research in campus (for some reason I was unable to pursue PhD after university).

So in your opinion, is it worth to go in terms of pay fairness as per basic (as for annual package, HR mentioned average 3 to 4 months, but trustworthy?)? By the way I have family with 2 young kids. Headachy!!!
well from the above mentioned, i felt that you are short-changed in some form. if they couldnt increase your pay they should at least maintain it unless they felt that your previous company experience is not as large-scale as of a polytechnic. and can see that they dont intend to give you a promotion in a year or so, after 1 year increment you should be at the capped value. hence on your 2nd year, they will have to promote you to the next grade but the pay increment might be still at the lower end of the new grade.if you see it as an experience and chance to get into civil sector, i suggest you take it. with your current pay, it aint difficult to feed a family of 4, to be very honest unless your own expenses is damn high.

Old 23-11-2015, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

To me this is more like you were having unrealistic expectations when applying for the job. It is quite common for private sector to take 20-50% pay cut when joining public educational service. They already give you very good if it's only a few % pay cut and you are still complaining about being too close to cap!

You should really think carefully what are your priorities. It's not a good sign if a few % cut and you are already shaken in your conviction and thinking whether to reject the offer as it is not "fair". Yes 3-4 mths bonus including AWS is usually the norm.

At the end of the day, working in a place like polytechnic got pros & cons and you have to be comfortable with slowing down your pay progression and taking a pay cut in return for the routine stability, job security and non monetary fulfillment. If you are really that adamant about maintaining current salary and want to get good increments every year (nothing wrong), then this is not for you.
Old 23-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I presume you are a male so they have factored in NS too.
Could you share what's your age? easier to benchmark to similar grade civil service jobs.
Old 23-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Unregistered

How do u define pay fairness?

They don't pay u for wat u think u deserve or the value u bought to ur previous coy in ur previous job scope. They pay u according to the value u bring in if u join them

Old 23-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Unregistered

Which IT company can almost guarantee you a bonus of at least 4 months?
Which IT company can guarantee you NO retrenchment?
Which IT company can allow you an annual leave of 21 days, parent care leave of 2 days and child care leave of 6 days and that's not even counting telecommuting of 20 days per year over at my poly..

I think you are quite fortunate to be offered Pax 5 cos an adjustment of 6-10% is coming in 3 months time.....
Old 23-11-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I presume you are a male so they have factored in NS too.
Could you share what's your age? easier to benchmark to similar grade civil service jobs.
Yup 33 years old.
Old 23-11-2015, 07:32 PM

Thanks all for your followup, no matter whether it is harsh or moderate, it is genuine and inspiring. I agree pay is important for us salaried people to raise family and self recognition (at least my mindset), but definitely not the only one criterion to evaluate the package. But suppose you were in such a situation when changing job, would you still not feel it is unfair or you are not unexploited? We are ordinary people, not saint. Be realistic and truthful to yourself.
Old 23-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yup 33 years old.
They are offering you fair pay. Comparable to civil service.

What's your class of honours?

Will you be managing a team?