New job - is it a period of transition or a poor fit? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

New job - is it a period of transition or a poor fit?

Old 19-07-2015, 05:43 PM

moonlightlover is on a distinguished road
Default New job - is it a period of transition or a poor fit?

hi all,

I just started a new job (coming one month soon), I try to be as positive I can everyday even though it's increasingly hard. I kinda know from the start during the interview stages and all that it's gonna be a poor fit but I took it anyway cos I needed the money at that point of time. (Since I quit my previous job without a job)

Initially I also thought the learning curve is steep so I gave myself a few more weeks to adjust to it. How do you know if this is just a period of transition or if the job isn't working out for you?

Appreciate any sound advice or if anybody would like to share their experience, feel free to pm me as well.

Thanks!

Old 19-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightlover View Post
hi all,

I just started a new job (coming one month soon), I try to be as positive I can everyday even though it's increasingly hard. I kinda know from the start during the interview stages and all that it's gonna be a poor fit but I took it anyway cos I needed the money at that point of time. (Since I quit my previous job without a job)

Initially I also thought the learning curve is steep so I gave myself a few more weeks to adjust to it. How do you know if this is just a period of transition or if the job isn't working out for you?

Appreciate any sound advice or if anybody would like to share their experience, feel free to pm me as well.

Thanks!
Honestly does it matter? The fact that you took this job even though you don't like it because of money means you don't have a choice. Whether its transition or just misfit end result is you still have to stay on until you can find a better job.

Old 19-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi all,

Thanks!
You didn't exactly mention what resulted in your apparently dismal situation but stringing together the pieces in your post, it seems like it is because you don't possess the skill sets that your current job requires.

If you currently really do not possess the skill set that is required of your job, I would sketch out several possible outcomes.

1. You are still interested and keen to succeed in your current job. Hence, you put in extra effort to acquire the necessary skills, and successfully do so. You thus do well in your job.

2. You are still interested and keen to succeed in your current job. However, you lack the aptitude and tenacity to acquire the necessary skills. You thus remain mediocre in your job.

3. You are completely uninterested and ambivalent in succeeding in your current job. Thus, no **** goes well for you.

Bro, only you know yourself and the situation best. Identify the issue (e.g. mismatch in skill set, or work culture etc.) and then assess what is it that you really want to be doing.

All the best.

Old 19-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Unregistered

I was in TS shoe when I start my job right after I grad (one year ++ ago). I understand how TS feel because I also encounter a super steep learning curve in a subject that I am really sucked at and also no interest in.

I accept the job not because of the pay but the new experience that I will gained. I can tell you the first few months was really hell, understand various stuff which I am sucked at really kills me. Especially no one is there to guide me except for Google.

Anything can be learn, just whether you want or not. Or people might say only people with passion can learn it better, which I believe is ********. Passion is important but anyone can learn anything as long they put it effort to learn. Maybe is just me, but I believe in adaptability is one of the skill you might picked up which i think i important. So why not use this chance to try to learn and adapt.

Believe me, if you can do that, you can excel in anything

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi all,

Thanks!
You need the money so you're kind of stuck. If it's really not working out, try to find another job while still staying at this job. Don't make the mistake again of quitting without finding a new a job as that puts more pressure on you during your job search.

Else, spend more time and effort to learn the skills you need for your current job. Maybe in 6 months you will realise you can manage.
Old 20-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

People take different length of time to adapt. Some with poor adaptability (like myself) will take a longer time , as long as a year, to adapt to a new environment which is vastly different to the previous working environment.

Sometimes I see people quit within a few days or few weeks. I think that they didn't give themselves much time to adapt. Maybe give yourself a year to adjust and re-evaluate after that.

Arrow

Old 20-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Anything can be learn, just whether you want or not. Or people might say only people with passion can learn it better, which I believe is ********. Passion is important but anyone can learn anything as long they put it effort to learn. Maybe is just me, but I believe in adaptability is one of the skill you might picked up which i think i important. So why not use this chance to try to learn and adapt.

Believe me, if you can do that, you can excel in anything
Maybe for entry professional skillsets you can get away without talent and passion for it. It is ludicrous to think you can just google your way out, work hard and can learn advanced topics in mathematics/scientific/engineering field, IT frontier research, finance or even soft skills like performing arts and humanities.

If it were that easy anyone just need to adapt & work hard and can excel in anything they want, there will be lots of billionaire, nobel laurates and A* celebrities walking on the streets. The world is not short of hard working people.
Old 20-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Maybe for entry professional skillsets you can get away without talent and passion for it. It is ludicrous to think you can just google your way out, work hard and can learn advanced topics in mathematics/scientific/engineering field, IT frontier research, finance or even soft skills like performing arts and humanities.

If it were that easy anyone just need to adapt & work hard and can excel in anything they want, there will be lots of billionaire, nobel laurates and A* celebrities walking on the streets. The world is not short of hard working people.
why not (i agree with the person who state that adaptability is important and the willing to learn is important)? there are people who did that? those startups? you think they have those soft skills and business skills to become their own company CEO? No. They work hard and of course work hard is not enough but also to venture out of their comfort zone. Some CEO does not have passion in business but they want to be their CEO because they believe in their product. Which is why they have different people focusing on different roles (CEO, CFO, CTO, CTO and etc.)

Many people think the way you are and people who think that are those who did not step out of their comfort zone yet. (comfort zone meaning out of their normal/daily activity) Like for example, if you are working for a company and have 6K per month salary, if there is an opportunity for you to start up your own business, will you do it? Are you willing to start from scratch?

Certainly, not all hard working people are billionaire, not all CEO are successful, but is the first step that they are willing to take to step out of their comfort zone. Of course there are other priorities for other people. Some people like to live in a stable life, and some people just doesnt have the motivation to do big things and sometimes luck plays a part.
Old 20-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
why not (i agree with the person who state that adaptability is important and the willing to learn is important)? there are people who did that? those startups? you think they have those soft skills and business skills to become their own company CEO? No. They work hard and of course work hard is not enough but also to venture out of their comfort zone. Some CEO does not have passion in business but they want to be their CEO because they believe in their product. Which is why they have different people focusing on different roles (CEO, CFO, CTO, CTO and etc.)

Many people think the way you are and people who think that are those who did not step out of their comfort zone yet. (comfort zone meaning out of their normal/daily activity) Like for example, if you are working for a company and have 6K per month salary, if there is an opportunity for you to start up your own business, will you do it? Are you willing to start from scratch?

Certainly, not all hard working people are billionaire, not all CEO are successful, but is the first step that they are willing to take to step out of their comfort zone. Of course there are other priorities for other people. Some people like to live in a stable life, and some people just doesnt have the motivation to do big things and sometimes luck plays a part.
You are not understanding the discussion.

The assertion earlier was as long as you work hard and be adaptable, you can excel in anything. I was questioning this kind of blanket statement which makes it seems like all one needs in life to excel in anythingis to be adaptable. You seem to be confusing this with another argument which is - it is important to be adaptable, hardworking and get out of your comfort zone to achieve something.

In real life there are natural limits to each individual's talents. Someone who is a more risk taker and willing to get out of his comfort zone may be able to discover some inert potential that he wasn't previously aware of and coupled with luck may lead to better outcomes. But even then there is no way every individual can excel in anything no matter how out of comfort zone or adaptle he is. There are individual congenital constraints, the kind of physical/mental things one can do is vastly outnumbered by the things one cannot regardless of effort.

Such blanket assertions may be good for a quickie motivational talk, but must be tempered with your own understanding of your unique circumstances.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 20-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are not understanding the discussion.

The assertion earlier was as long as you work hard and be adaptable, you can excel in anything. I was questioning this kind of blanket statement which makes it seems like all one needs in life to excel in anythingis to be adaptable. You seem to be confusing this with another argument which is - it is important to be adaptable, hardworking and get out of your comfort zone to achieve something.

In real life there are natural limits to each individual's talents. Someone who is a more risk taker and willing to get out of his comfort zone may be able to discover some inert potential that he wasn't previously aware of and coupled with luck may lead to better outcomes. But even then there is no way every individual can excel in anything no matter how out of comfort zone or adaptle he is. There are individual congenital constraints, the kind of physical/mental things one can do is vastly outnumbered by the things one cannot regardless of effort.

Such blanket assertions may be good for a quickie motivational talk, but must be tempered with your own understanding of your unique circumstances.
I highly doubt anyone would take that blanket statement (e.g. Believe me, if you can do that, you can excel in anything) in its literal meaning. So perhaps, just perhaps, you over-reacted.

Nevertheless, here is a prize for you for debunking a blanket statement (yay/sarcasm)